Farewell to my fishing buddy

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

It's been a long time coming. The saltwater has been aggravating the condition. We first met in 2000, when I first visited Houston. From the first trip to Galveston, we were together on every saltwater and many freshwater adventures. The rain, sun, cold, scorching heat, fishless days, and adventures that only we will ever know about. Each trip was one closer to our final excursion. This past spring, I could tell I'd be fishing without you by fall. We didn't get out much this summer due to my travels. And today, as I start making plans for my first trip without you in 17 years, I am torn between looking forward to next weekend, and feeling a chasm of emptiness where you once occupied such a major part of who I am and what made our adventures so unique. Rest well and in duly earned comfort. You've earned it. Take you place at the table, in the halls of Valhalla. There I will join you again in the days to come. And the adventures will begin anew.
R.i.P. Cuervo's Plano soft tackle bag (2000-2017).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jackedbronco

Re: Farewell to my fishing buddy

Post by jackedbronco »

Wow just wow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

This year I finally had to replace my flats-wading Lone Peak fanny pack with two water bottle holders from the mid-80s (30 years). Even YKK zippers eventually give in to the salt. I use it to hold a couple of fly-reels (giving me a floater and two sink rates) and small Plano boxes to hold big salty flies or plastic lures, and usually replace one of the water bottles with my stringer - kinda like a stringer holster.
I replaced it with a new Osprey lumbar pack to get the same capacity and two side water bottles.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Too funny but soooo true. It's good to have equipment you can depend on and it's hard to through stuff out but that salt eventually gets to everything.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I found a replacement on sale at Walmart. It was cheap and roomy. Just the way I like 'em! We'll have our first alone time this coming weekend. I am nervous but excited. Hopefully we will have many good years together. I will rub a redfish all over New Bag For good luck.

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

if this one lasts 30 years, I won't care what it cost - the point is it does what I need
krfish

Post by krfish »

I had to replace my bag as well this year. Just couldn't go anymore. I'm adjusting to my new bag well.

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

My new bag and I bonded today. Along with my spiffy new net. I will post a report when I am safely at home.

Rockclimber

Post by Rockclimber »

Cuervo- you had me worried- I thought you had lost your dog.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Rockclimber wrote:Cuervo- you had me worried- I thought you had lost your dog.
My dog is an Asthmahound Chihuahua/Timber Wolf mix although my wife keeps insisting he’s just a possum. He waddles around, wheezing and drooling outside and does tricks like sleeping, playing dead, and putting things in his mouth. Truly a marvel. But I can’t fit more than a couple of packs of cocahoes in him, so he stays home and I bring my tackle bag on fishing trips.