Looking for recent (after Harvey)beach driving condition from Beach Rd, Matagorda to Mitchell's Cut

twiceayear
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Looking for recent (after Harvey)beach driving condition from Beach Rd, Matagorda to Mitchell's Cut

Post by twiceayear »

Looking for beach driving condition from Beach Rd, Matagorda to Mitchell's Cut

If you had made the trip recently especially after Harvey's Hurricane please share the beach/sand conditions. Is it still passable all the way to Mitchell's Cut.

Do you need a beach pass for overnight camping and where can I get one?

Thanks
LocoSeamonkey

Re: Looking for recent (after Harvey)beach driving condition from Beach Rd, Matagorda to Mitchell's Cut

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

you can get the beach pass permit at Stanley's there just before you cross the bridge, costs $10. As for the beach or passes on the beach being passable, I am sure they are because no one has raised a fuss over them being impassable but I do not have any first had knowledge post Harvey.
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Re: Looking for recent (after Harvey)beach driving condition from Beach Rd, Matagorda to Mitchell's Cut

Post by troutslinger »

Yes on permit you need a 4 wheel drive though.
Blue Devil 7

Post by Blue Devil 7 »

Bumping this to the top for more reports.

I have a friend who wants to tag along with us this weekend, hoping to fish Hog island. He has an AWD Rav4, not sure how good of an idea that is.
twiceayear
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by twiceayear »

I called a local shop selling beach driving permit and asked them if the beach is open where one can drive all the way to Mitchell's cut and the lady said last she heard, you cannot drive very far all at.

Apparenty hurricane Harvey dumped so much rain that as all that water drain from the bay out to the gulf, it creates natural cuts and therefore you cannot drive across the cut because it was too wide and deep.

We went to Sargent and drove toward Cedar lake but there are cuts there also. Water was very high even at low tides. The drive back was nerve racking.
LocoSeamonkey

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

where is this Mitchell's cut at? I only see the 3 mile cut on east Matagorda.
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

The only Mitchell’s cut I see is in Espiruto santo bay. Not east matagorda bay.
murraycamp

Post by murraycamp »

Just got back from fishing E Matty. Went to the beach one day but only drove about 2 miles down from the jetty. It was ok to there, but no idea past that. I heard it was drivable at least to 3 mile cut, but that's just hearsay, innuendo, and rumor. I wouldn't bank a day's fishing, or my vehicle, on that.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
murraycamp

Post by murraycamp »

Yak Dog wrote:The only Mitchell’s cut I see is in Espiruto santo bay. Not east matagorda bay.
It's the mouth of Caney Creek into the Gulf near Sargent.

https://goo.gl/maps/qMwzgRPQCjz
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

Gotcha, I have only been on the Sargent side of that. Not to positive I would risk driving the matagorda side . Last time I tried going about 5 miles down it got to trashy and ruff , even in a 4x4 .