Guided Florida Kayak Fishing trip Thur 9/28 to Sun 10/1.

Mullet Key

Guided Florida Kayak Fishing trip Thur 9/28 to Sun 10/1.

Post by Mullet Key »

Earlier this year I floated a plan for a kayak fishing road trip to Homosassa, Florida where the river meets the Gulf in the Crystal River Nat'l Wildlife Refuge. I quickly got 6 club participants, and we know things happen (Harvey) and today we have an opening. If any of my fellow TKF's are interested, the trip consists of transport of you and kayak, 3 nights on a coastal island, air conditioned cabins (somewhat rustic), 2 days of guided fishing for Snook, Redfish, and Trout (The Florida Coast Slam). Cost: $700 to the Guide and about another $350 for food, tip, fuel and an open bed at our destination the night of Wed. 9/27. I have 3 in my Explorer (+ trailer) if you want to ride with me.

I'm leaving Kingwood at 06:30 Wed. 9/27. It's 900 miles or 16 hours with traffic and stops. Link to the guide, Capt. Carey Gibson. http://www.southernslamoutfitters.com/i ... shing.html He is also on Facebook. Forecast: 88 Highs / 71 Lows, No rain, light variable winds. Local tides create more movement than in TX.

His operation got Cat. 1 storm effects from Irma. Says he's OK. His camp is 3 structures, Capt. quarters, then two 3-bed cabins. Shower and toilet. The location is 28.777 N; -82.677 W. If you enter False Channel Citrus County, FL in Google Maps, the camp is 500' NW of the pinpoint. We meet Capt. Cary Thursday morning 9/28 and return to Homosassa on Sunday 10/1. Who's Going? Me, Ken Jennings, Will Henderson, Mike Watts, and Bill Williams from Beaumont. Will has worked out meal plans, we share kitchen patrol with our guide and his son. Sorry for the short notice, but life got in the way and I know you will give it serious thought of making this unique trip. Call or email me with any questions. Chris Arceneaux 832-216-2483 mullet.key@gmail.com I thank you!
Mullet Key

Re: Guided Florida Kayak Fishing trip Thur 9/28 to Sun 10/1.

Post by Mullet Key »

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Awaiting your report.....after you return.
Ken J
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ken J »

Trip Report - Homosassa River, FL

Big Snook are not supposed to be easy. A super Snook that tapes 28 inches or more and, with great girth, hugs the double-digit mark is a career catch for most serious pluggers. Such a fish was our quest fired by obsession and determination. We fished for three days and three different pluggers scored regrettably small Snook.

Texas fish eat, Florida fish eat. That much we know. We embodied a Texas fish pattern in our heads, our bait selections and in our retrieve techniques. It took a while to chip away at the Florida fish pattern with the help of our guides Captains Carey Gibson and Gary Bartell Jr. Us PACK guys typically work on our artificial presentations, while Homosassa River locals might throw MirrOdine jerk lures or just as often free-line small pinfish which litter the island banks like so many flies. One of their favorite baits is cut mullet.

Day 1 we shook off the 900 miles of travel to get to our Homosassa, FL destination with a short kayak fishing excursion from the camp. More on the camp later. Will struck gold early with a juvenile Snook and Trout. Mike pulled in a trout or two also. Back to the island for our first camp-cooked meal. Carey produced a bucket of shrimp, three of us made short work to peel and de-vein the wild caught main course. Using what we had - a gas grill, we made individual foil boats to cook the shrimp, squash, onion, garlic and potatoes. Thanks to Will we topped it off with cake. We made our fishing plans for the next day.

Now the Camp: Set on a five-acre mangrove, salt cedar, sable palm island just inches above sea level, the main building consists of the captain’s quarters, his one-room cabin which we had access to the kitchen section, a quasi-outdoor bathroom made from fence pickets and driftwood. Hot water is available, but all cistern water was to be used sparingly. Carey built two air-conditioned guest cabins, each furnished with full size bed and a two-berth bunk bed for guests. Linens provided. An expansive deck surrounded the captain’s quarters with chairs, picnic table, benches, fish fryer and gas grill. The entire arrangement is 4’ off the ground. We also had a fire ring surrounded by a path of scallop shells.

Day 2 we split into two groups. Ken and Mike went kayak fishing from the camp with Gary (Jr). The rest of us when bay boat fishing with Carey. He took us to an island that was known for Snook and Reds. The four of us in the boat did catch our 1-Redfish / each / day limit there and went off to look for Trout which were more elusive. We met up with the kayakers and water-taxi’d them back to the camp for lunch and a nap. We only saw a few boats on the water. We all went out fishing again that evening, well into dark. We did catch some Specks. I noticed these Specks had darker backs and felt thicker. We cooked our shrimp dinner on the grill, with some fried fish on the side.

Day 3 again we split up, Will and I went kayak fishing to some remote back waters, the others in the bay boat. I caught some juvenile Reds and one keeper Red. Will did about the same. The others did manage to boat eight different species, including Snook. Bill boated two nice Reds using cut mullet. Back to the camp for grilled burgers, a nap, and meal prep. We went out again, a few more fish were caught. We did get rained on a few times. Bill spent the afternoon with grown children living in Tarpon Springs, an hour to the south. Carey had a couple friends come over to help cook and enjoy the evening of fried fish, grilled mullet on the half shell and cheese grits. It was time to start gathering our gear for an early morning start.

Ken and his crew did see a bonafide manatee in the river, now swimming with one will have to happen on another trip. We did observe a number of ospreys. They have more perches than the TX coast. Fewer pelicans and sea gulls actually and the usual number of herons and terns.

Day 4 after a breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausage and tortilla’s we loaded the boats to head back to Homosassa and the ride home. It was good to see how our friends on the Eastern Gulf pattern fish and enjoy their coast. I had fun, think everyone else did too.

Would like to thank Capt. Carey Gibson, with Southern Slam Outfitters for providing the private island camp, and guiding us around and the water taxi for our kayaks.
Tight Lines

Mullet Key

Photos: http://www.packtx.org/Photos/tabid/58/A ... allery-385

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Looks like a great adventure. Thanks for sharing,