Your thoughts on fishing the home owners canal lights

Cityfisher

Your thoughts on fishing the home owners canal lights

Post by Cityfisher »

So, last Saturday night my buddy and I and his 2 boys (19 and 20) went and fished some canals over on Bolivar. We were having a great afternoon and then after it got dark we paddled around hitting some of the docks that had the lights on. We fished this first set of lights for about 20 minutes and pulled a few good fish out of there. Then this man walks out, shuts his lights off and starts yelling at us like he was a 12 year old! I mean, this guy was throwing a tantrum! The only reply I had was " That was uncalled for." So the guy keeps ranting on and on and asked why we were fishing there. I said, because there were fish on your lights. lol He then grabs a pole and starts jumping up and down and banging the dock and say's, see if you find any fish now! So we paddle off, fish a few more lights and had a really fun night and some good catching. We get back to the boat ramp, which is not in his community and there is another kayaker there. He proceeds to tell us about this man that drove over and started yelling at him for fishing his lights, which, he had not been doing. Geeez! This guy was upset!
Anyway, I know that this kind of reaction does happen sometimes with these home owners, but what are your thoughts about that? We were very very quite and respectful also.
I know that the waters are public waters and I have every right to fish there. And why should this guy buy lights and put them in public waters and get mad if someone fishes them??? Kinda silly really. But again, should I be more understanding of his point of view? Or do you think that this person was just being an unreasonable jerk?
To be honest with you, I don't even want to bother with fishing peoples dock lights anymore if I am going to be harrassed every time I go out.
Cityfisher

Re: Your thoughts on fishing the home owners canal lights

Post by Cityfisher »

I probably know what most of ya'lls opinion on that is, but who I really want to hear from are the home owners on here that have lights on their docks and how you feel about it?
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

In the 60s my parents had a canal place and we had lights that we sometimes turned on and other did not turn them on. Folks would fish them when we were there and my parents did not mind as long as they did not trash up the water. Sometimes when the catching was good, the water bound fishermen would hand my dad a nice fish if we were also fishing the lights. In the roughly eight years of this I do not recall anything but folks having nice visits while fishing. When we would go in for the night , the lights were turned off. This was on the Highland Bayou near Louis' Bait Camp.
LUISJG
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LUISJG »

I find it ok and not ok .

when I am relaxing enjoying my deck with my family , last thing I want is some guys on top of my lights
fishing and invading privacy.
when we are not there is ok , if they dont freaking anchor , our lights are in the bottom.
and also dont tie or set foot in our docks.

our neighbors have had broken lights, trash etc

thats why public lighted piers exist.

all Im sayin is be respectfull.
Last edited by LUISJG on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

LUISJG wrote:I find it ok and not ok .

when I am relaxing enjoying my deck with my family , last thing I want is some guys on top of my lights
fishing and invading privacy.
when we are not there is ok , if they dont freaking anchor , our lights are in the bottom.
and also dont tie or set foot in our docks.

thats why public lighted piers exist.
I do agree with that completely, if someone was out on the back deck or on the dock we would not even have stopped.
Heck, I don't even like to fish somewhere if anyone is even close by fishing even in the open bay. I'll find somewhere more secluded.
We actually came up to one set of lights that had a motion detector on it and the light shut off as we got near. I was ok with that also. We paddled on by.
LUISJG
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LUISJG »

btw,, we are very nice to approach fisherman, and ask nicely to move along If needed ,, last think we want is pissed of fisherman LOL .
sometimes we just fish together and chat.
depends on the owner , there are some nutheads out there .
mmwaggie

Post by mmwaggie »

I fish a lot of canals at night and have had most home owners be nice and ask me how my night is going. That said if I see someone there or at a neighboring dock I will not fish it. I can go to any canal but they are locked to one light.

I have also had those ass holes that just want to start shit. I once went down a canal and saw no one fishing it from any dock but saw some people chatting on their second story balcony. I wasn't going to fish the lights around them because it's honestly a little awkward because you hear everything they are saying. As I was paddling through they started casting on me and getting very upset. I told them they hadn't been fishing it and that set them off. I just got out of that canal as I didn't want them to land a treble hook on me.

I also rolled up on a light once that appeared to be vacant but as I cast into it I hear this guy from the darkest shadow bitch about me casting into his light. I apologize and he begrudgingly accepts my apology. I went further in and on the way out handed him a trout since he was saying he hasn't caught anything.

I've also been on the other end. Granted it was a rental property. We turned on the flood lights and two kayakers rolled up and parked within the lights reach and started casting towards the dock! This is completely unacceptable in my mind since we were actively fishing the light. I asked them to leave and they did.

I think so long as you are respectful of homeowners in that they pay for the light, you should be good. That said, there are assholes on both sides of the fence. You have kayakers that can't accurately cast and hit docks or worse drag on the bottom and destroy an expensive light. Then you have asshole homeowners who get irate at the thought of someone fishing their light.

This is only speculation but I feel that West end marina was closed after locals petitioning for it's closure due to too many kayak fisherman in their canals. Can anyone shed light on that?
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

hmmm. Just got an email that Yaklash replied but when I clicked here no message. I hope I didn't delete it or something from my phone. If I did I didn't mean to. lol :)
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Thanks for the insight on your experiences. mmwaggie.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Cityfisher wrote:hmmm. Just got an email that Yaklash replied but when I clicked here no message. I hope I didn't delete it or something from my phone. If I did I didn't mean to. lol :)
I posted a response and then saw that you wanted the POV of the light/dock owners so I deleted my reply. No offense intended
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I'm not a home owner but fish many lights...
It is only common courtesy and respect for your fellow man. By that I mean BOTH the kayak fisherman and home owners. I am sure home owners do not want power boats cruising their channels and fishing becasue of wakes and noise. Kayaker's are for the most part quiet and do not bother anyone. Except for the occasional lure hang up on the under water lights, there usually is not an issue. Just remember to cut your line to not hurt or disturb a light that does not belong to them.
On the same note, they leave the under water lights on to keep algae from growing on them making them useless until cleaned. They usually are in plain sight on any dock and I avoid them unless they call me over (which some have done). If no on then I throw a lure or two and move on unless there are fish.
The over head lights are different. They cost money to run as well as the under water lights but they use more wattage thus costing them more to run them I am guessing. If a dock has over head lights on then the owners maybe be "warming up" the fishing area by drawing in the bait so they can wet a line. They may not be on the dock but there is a reason usually for the lights to be on. LOOK, ASK, and RESPECT.
I bet he turned on his lights to get the bait in and draw in the fish then went inside to wait a while and once you "contaminated" his fishing spot thinking you chased all the fish away maybe he was having a bad day and your "invasion" of his space set him off. I wouldn't worry. They are few and far between. Most are good people and do not mind fishing their lights but ALWAYS look, ask, and respect each other.
Common sense. It's that simple.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Yaklash wrote:
Cityfisher wrote:hmmm. Just got an email that Yaklash replied but when I clicked here no message. I hope I didn't delete it or something from my phone. If I did I didn't mean to. lol :)
I posted a response and then saw that you wanted the POV of the light/dock owners so I deleted my reply. No offense intended
No worries. I'm all thumbs on my phone. I didn't want to offend you.
lol
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

It's been a while since I fished any lights, but, wow, homeowners jumping up and down and throwing tantrums! That's no way to handle it. I don't see any harm fishing public water when no one is already fishing it. If someone came out of their house and acted like a human and I was out in the water in my kayak I'd try to shoot the breeze and probably ask or find out their immediate future plans and act accordingly. Some question like " y'all been fishing any?" They could respond, " Not yet, we did the other night and did alright and were fixing to give it another shot" would be my cue to find another light.

You buy a house on a tidal canal, you have to expect some traffic and understand the water is public whether you like it or not. But as a kayaker fishing someone else's lights, you have to show some deference, class, and tact.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

So, I'll chime back in. As an "owner" (not really; Mother owned a condo with a pier and friend owned a lighted pier in Rockport), the only issue was people trespassing, picking the lock or getting the combination from a previous renter and going out onto the pier to fish. This is trespassing and is wrong. We have a lighted pier at the fish camp, but it is rather remote & on the ICW and I have never seen any outsider fishing those lights. If they were to, we'd have no problem with them catching all of the dink trout they want :lol:

But fishing someone else's light from the water is not wrong. They buy the lights and the power and they control the switch, but not the water. Like Karstopo said, respect them. Don't hoot and holler, don't even talk loudly, don't paddle up canals (IMO), and as said above, try like heck not to damage their property (snag underwater lights).

The priming of the water is a real thing though. You turn on those lights, go back inside and wait for the bait to move in. It takes a couple of hours and even once the predators move in, it helps if the tide is moving. Having someone come in on those lights and just start fishing while you're waiting for the right time, I can imagine, would be irritating if it happened regularly.

I have had mostly good experiences fishing the lights of others. I have never done it in a kayak, never motored up into a canal, and always maintained my distance and a healthy level of respect. One guy turned off his lights. We moved on and never came back. He could have just asked us to move on instead of ending his grandkids' fishing for the evening.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Thanks everyone for your insights. I have only fished some lighted canal lights 2 times so I was interested on your feelings about it. I pretty much have the same way of thinking as you guys. I guess we just ran into one those people who is the exception. With his attitude I have a feeling, even if it was daylight and we were fishing within eyesight of him, he would have been just as upset.
My buddy and I did have a good chuckle about his little tantrum as we paddled off. What really amazed us was the fact he got in his car and drove to the boat ramp to try and gripe us out some more! lol
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Cityfisher wrote: My buddy and I did have a good chuckle about his little tantrum as we paddled off. What really amazed us was the fact he got in his car and drove to the boat ramp to try and gripe us out some more! lol
Yeah, "he got issues"
RedsOnRiot

Post by RedsOnRiot »

One of the many reasons that I don't fish canal lights anymore. Just isn't worth it. Plus catching small trout isn't too fun after the 10th one.

Word of advice, find a flat, reef or marsh and try fishing that at night. I've had some stellar nights throwing topwaters, corkies, jig heads and other slow sinking baits where there is no light around.

Also, with winter coming, this is a great way to hang a trophy trout.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

RedsOnRiot wrote:One of the many reasons that I don't fish canal lights anymore. Just isn't worth it. Plus catching small trout isn't too fun after the 10th one.

Word of advice, find a flat, reef or marsh and try fishing that at night. I've had some stellar nights throwing topwaters, corkies, jig heads and other slow sinking baits where there is no light around.

I am with you on that issue. I originally wanted to do just that but my friend insisted on going to the canals.
I have only fished the lights twice in my life because I enjoy paddling the bay and seeing the wildlife and sights, even if I don't catch a thing. I always combine my fishing trips with an overnight camp on the beach, so next time I'll just bring my light along and stay out past dark and give it a try. :)
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I dropped an under water green LED battery powered light out in a channel in a bayou and got lots of bait and "predator shadows" in the light. I have a 20' cord and throw it out in front of my yak and sit and throw to it int he marsh at night where it is cool, quiet and the light is all mine! I'm selfish like that. Sorry. Hehe
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

Thanks for posting. I don't normally fish at night, but I have definitely learned a couple of things by reading this thread.

I'm sure the OP knows this, but for those of you who are not aware of the actual laws in place for this type of situation..
What the guy(homeowner) did is technically illegal. Fishermen are protected by law from exactly this type of behaviour, you don't have to tolerate being yelled at when you are doing nothing wrong. Definitely leave and don't escalate the situation, but reporting this kind of harassment can save others from dealing with the same unruly person in the future.

Sec. 62.0125. HARASSMENT OF HUNTERS, TRAPPERS, AND FISHERMEN. (a) This section may be cited as the Sportsman's Rights Act.
(b) In this section:
(1) "Wildlife" means all species of wild mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, or amphibians.
(2) "Process of hunting or catching" means any act directed at the lawful hunting or catching of wildlife, including camping or other acts preparatory to hunting or catching of wildlife that occur on land or water on which the affected person has the right or privilege of hunting or catching that wildlife.
(c) No person may intentionally interfere with another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.
(d) No person may intentionally harass, drive, or disturb any wildlife for the purpose of disrupting a person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.

(e) No person may enter or remain on public land or enter or remain on private land without the landowner's or his agent's consent if the person intends to disrupt another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.
(f) This section does not apply to a peace officer of this state, a law enforcement officer of the United States, a member of the armed forces of the United States or of this state, or employees of the department or other state or federal agencies having statutory responsibility to manage wildlife or land during the time that the officer, member, or employee is in the actual discharge of official duties.
(g) A person who violates this section commits an offense. An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.
(h) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution that the defendant's conduct is protected by the right to freedom of speech under the constitution of this state or the United States.

Added by Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 731, Sec. 1, eff. Aug. 26, 1985. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 700, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 11, 1993.
Sullyman

Post by Sullyman »

I'm with Kickingback...purchased an underwater portable POWERFUL green light, with long cord, and affixed it to float away from the yak. Sure it's a slight pain to drag the battery around but having a PA 14 makes a difference, especially avoiding those home owners bent out of shape either mad at the world or from an annoying kayaker, which I think are very little from experiencing some nice gents on the water. But as long as you're respectable and can take a tongue lashing every now and then, keep hitting the lights.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Good thread, boys. I fish the lights at night a ton (and have for the last 7 years) and I have never met an unruly homeowner or had anyone say anything to me. That may also be because I don't fish lights that are occupied by homeowners. I just think it is bad form and is no different than a yakker or powerboater coming to fish right where you are. Potlicking may not be illegal, but it sure is rude. [Please note that I am NOT saying that is what the original poster did. They were clearly not bothering anyone].

Trailchaser, thanks for posting that statute. I think it is a good reminder for all of us that we have rights while out there enjoying nature. Though, me being the attorney that I am, I would definitely represent the homeowner in the event he was charged with a Class B misdemeanor, and invoke his affirmative defense of the First Amendment set forth in Section Sec. 62.0125(h). I would not like it, but hell, if I was able to thwart the prosecution of a homeowner with some sweet canal lights, I would defintely give it a shot! :lol: It's never a bad idea to have that guy with the sweet canal lights and a new private launch point owe me one.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

LOL too funny there!
Can you at least get him to pay for the yakers lawyer fees if counter sued? LOL
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

shoffer wrote:Good thread, boys. I fish the lights at night a ton (and have for the last 7 years) and I have never met an unruly homeowner or had anyone say anything to me. That may also be because I don't fish lights that are occupied by homeowners. I just think it is bad form and is no different than a yakker or powerboater coming to fish right where you are. Potlicking may not be illegal, but it sure is rude. [Please note that I am NOT saying that is what the original poster did. They were clearly not bothering anyone].

Trailchaser, thanks for posting that statute. I think it is a good reminder for all of us that we have rights while out there enjoying nature. Though, me being the attorney that I am, I would definitely represent the homeowner in the event he was charged with a Class B misdemeanor, and invoke his affirmative defense of the First Amendment set forth in Section Sec. 62.0125(h). I would not like it, but hell, if I was able to thwart the prosecution of a homeowner with some sweet canal lights, I would defintely give it a shot! :lol: It's never a bad idea to have that guy with the sweet canal lights and a new private launch point owe me one.
I wonder if any canal light/navigable water/home owner vs. kayaker conflicts have ever been contested in a court? I'm not saying I wish or want or think it necessary or appropriate to take anything like this to court, but I'm just curious if it ever has received a legal judgment or ruling.
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

RedsOnRiot wrote:One of the many reasons that I don't fish canal lights anymore. Just isn't worth it. Plus catching small trout isn't too fun after the 10th one.

This!!!