Your thoughts on fishing the home owners canal lights

Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Your thoughts on fishing the home owners canal lights

Post by Reefmonkey »

Cityfisher wrote:Thanks for the game wardens thoughts on that. I'm sure they have more to contend with than some home owner getting upset for fishing his dock lights. Crazy people.
On a good note, I took my son and another good friend of mine fishing and camping Saturday & Sunday. We hit up some dock lights after dark and had a nice time. There was one woman that came out while we were on her lights and she politely said "Hey guys, we are about to come out and start fishing if you don't mind". After complimenting her on the choice of music we got to listen to while fishing we moved on with no issues at all.
Both you and the woman handling the situation like mature adults being considerate to each other, that's how it should be. 8)
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Reefmonkey wrote:
kickingback wrote:
Reefmonkey wrote:
We weren't talking about shooting at fishermen. Trailchaser specifically told Cityfisher that the homeowner who "grabs a pole and starts jumping up and down and banging the dock and say's, see if you find any fish now! " had violated the law against interfering with a hunter or fisherman, and I was specifically replying to that. If someone shoots at fishermen, he's not going to be charged with interfering with a fisherman, he's going to be charged with anything from reckless endangerment to aggravated assault to attempted murder.

As for game wardens having been called and citations issued, it's not that I don't believe you ( :wink: ) but do you have any published secondary sources of someone being cited for standing on his private dock and yelling at a fisherman and stamping his feet? I'd be very interested to read them.
Don't need any "sources" as I am the source. Call me a liar again and see what happens!
Everyone knows that words can hurt as much as a weapon. Look at yours.
Laws are made to protect everyone, not just a property owner watching his fish in a light. I will call the game warden on you or anyone else that even opens their mouth at me for fishing in public waters. I'm done with you. You think you are a lawyer but I doubt you even own a kayak and wonder why you are in these forums. These forums are to help kayakers. Not home owners.
Get off your high horse. We were nice to you when you first posted but you are off the deep end now and the gloves are coming off. :horse:
Jeezus, dude, calm down, the only one on his high horse or off the deep end here is you. I have not insulted or been rude to you or anyone else on this forum, I just asked you if you could provide evidence for your assertion that citations have been issued for situations like the OP's and you flipped out, which is telling in itself. I didn't call you a liar, I was merely saying I wasn't just going to take your word for it, and I stand by that. So now that I have said it again, I am just dying of curiosity to "see what happens!" per your threat.

As for your expression of doubt that I own a kayak, as anyone can well see by clicking on my profile, I have been a member of this forum since 2005, which is over a decade longer than you have. "We were nice to you when you first posted" - oh, so now you speak for everyone on the board?

I calmly and respectfully answered the OP's question, and calmly and respectfully replied to everyone on this thread, including you. When you made an argument I thought was incorrect and/or not well developed or supported, I responded with an explanation of why I thought that, in a respectful way. That's how discussion forums are supposed to work. It seems you don't like to have weaknesses in your arguments pointed out to you, but that's no justification for lashing out at me as you have above.
You again? :horse:
:lol: I will make it my life mission to fish your lights! :lol:
Quit whining and move along.
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

kickingback wrote: You again? :horse:
:lol: I will make it my life mission to fish your lights! :lol:
Quit whining and move along.
Oh goody, more impotent chest thumping.
I'm not sure how you mistook me trying to reason with you as "whining", but I promise I won't make that futile effort again.
AznGoneNuts

Post by AznGoneNuts »

I had maybe small handful of incidents fishing Jamaica beach at night. I always try my best to keep quiet as possible, and also never shine my headlamp at houses. of course if i see someone hanging out on their deck,fishing, or just observing. I normally ask how's their night going small chit chat and move along. Mainly its just common sense courtesy to avoid confrontation.

There's this one stubborn gentleman. He ask me to not fish his lights one time. I simply said sorry and moved on while he was still jibber and jabbering. Fast forward a few weeks later, I avoided his lights I am a good 30' away from his lights going down the main channel. He shines his spot light on me. as always I simply try to be nice and ask "how's your night going?" His reply "good as long as you stay the F&*K away from my light" as this point i decided not to confront the guy and just keep moving. After having his spot light on me for a minute i ask politely if he can please stop. his reply "I can do whatever the F%&K i want on my dock".

i lost my patience and paddle towards him and set my head lamp to full 1300 lumens and sat there 5' away from his lights until he decided to go in to "call " the cops. after this incident it nearly ruined my night of fishing. i couldn't shake off the pissed off feeling i had, and lost patience trying to reel in my lures in slowly.

still to this day i avoid that house no matter what, I'm the type of person to always respect someone first and avoid confrontation.

Fish on folks and tight lines.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Last time I rented a house with submerged canal lights, I sight fished a couple of specs over 20" on 3-lb XUL - it was a hoot.

As to the OP, I think the homeowner over-reacted, but if you think about sitting in your living room after dark and having boats hanging around outside your window, it's kind of voyeur-creepy, or at least be viewed as an invasion of privacy.
He could also become upset because he was planning to fish whatever his lights drew up later in the evening.
I would definitely say it would be rude to paddle in and fish if he was already there fishing.

As far as the fish population goes, those schoolie specs are traveling 25 mi/day anyway, so they're not residents in his canal.

What are your rights to paddle a canal if you're not a resident? I have no idea.
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Ron Mc wrote: What are your rights to paddle a canal if you're not a resident? I have no idea.
Because canals are land that is submerged by tidal waters by artificial means, the land underneath the water is private property, which is why private citizens can drive pilings for docks and put lights on that land without running afoul of Corps of Engineers or State of Texas, but the tidal water itself is public property. "If you float it, you can boat it" and no individual property owner or Property Owners' Association can restrict your access to the canal.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

very cool - exactly why I said I had no idea.
1texasaggie

Post by 1texasaggie »

Don't need any "sources" as I am the source. Call me a liar again and see what happens!
Laws are made to protect everyone, not just a property owner watching his fish in a light. I will call the game warden on you or anyone else that even opens their mouth at me for fishing in public waters. I'm done with you. You think you are a lawyer but I doubt you even own a kayak and wonder why you are in these forums. These forums are to help kayakers. Not home owners. Get off your high horse. We were nice to you when you first posted but you are off the deep end now and the gloves are coming off. :horse:
I realize this is the interwebs, but WOW! lol.

I don't have a dog in this fight, so take this for what it's worth. In other words, I don't own a house in the canals, nor do I fish at night anymore. I do own a place on Bolivar and will say that homeowners on the Peninsula are some of the nicest and kindest people you'll ever meet, but can get a little touchy when it comes to actions they perceive as potentially intrusive...especially at nighttime! This is based on a long track record of delinquency to personal property in the area.

Just one example is "The Zoo". If you haven't spent time on Bolivar, this is the nickname given to the mid-Peninsula beachfront subdivisions. It's referred to as "The Zoo" because property owners have experienced the pleasure of beach goers invading their neighborhoods and removing deck furniture, stairwells, etc. for firewood back on the beach. There has also been widespread theft and vandalism of property over the years as well. As a result, we circle the wagons, know our neighbors well and then actively, but non-violently, confront anyone wondering in off the beach...or just doesn't belong.

To the OP, not saying this is the home owner's motive in your particular case, but it's the most plausible explanation I can think of based on the track history we've had to endure on Bolivar. I'm also not condoning his actions b/c as an avid kayak fisherman, I wouldn't mind anyone kayak fishing from my docks and have had a lot of buddies that do kayak fish those canals at night. To my knowledge, none have ever experienced any problems b/c they headed my advice, which was to talk to the home owners and let them know what you're doing in advance. Sure, it's not legally required, but goes a long way to avoiding suspicion or confrontations. There have even been a number of my kayaking buddies who reported that home owners actually gave them tips on where to look for fish b/c they introduced themselves and asked permission up front.

The Sportsman Rights Act has been frequently discussed in the past on this forum, so I'll keep it brief and just add that it's a stretch to think that a Game Warden will issue a citation based on the circumstances described. After all, a Class B Misdemeanor is a fairly serious offense in Texas. In my almost 50- years of fishing that area, I've never run into a single Game Warden at night on the Peninsula. So, I have a feeling you'll run a greater risk of pissing off the Game Warden by calling them out in the middle of the night without some sort of supporting and compelling evidence of interference or harassment. I'm not going to jump out on a limb and say that the Game Warden will be so pissed that they're just as likely cite you for false reporting (also a Class B Misdemeanor) without some supporting evidence, just saying it's always nice to stay in their good graces. Therefore, my advice would be to record everything and review it carefully before making the call.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

1texasaggie wrote:
Laws are made to protect everyone, not just a property owner watching his fish in a light. I will call the game warden on you or anyone else that even opens their mouth at me for fishing in public waters. I'm done with you. You think you are a lawyer but I doubt you even own a kayak and wonder why you are in these forums. These forums are to help kayakers. Not home owners. Get off your high horse. We were nice to you when you first posted but you are off the deep end now and the gloves are coming off. :horse:
I realize this is the interwebs, but WOW! lol.

I don't have a dog in this fight, so take this for what it's worth. In other words, I don't own a house in the canals, nor do I fish at night anymore. I do own a place on Bolivar and will say that homeowners on the Peninsula are some of the nicest and kindest people you'll ever meet, but can get a little touchy when it comes to actions they perceive as potentially intrusive...especially at nighttime! This is based on a long track record of delinquency to personal property in the area.

Just one example is "The Zoo". If you haven't spent time on Bolivar, this is the nickname given to the mid-Peninsula beachfront subdivisions. It's referred to as "The Zoo" because property owners have experienced the pleasure of beach goers invading their neighborhoods and removing deck furniture, stairwells, etc. for firewood back on the beach. There has also been widespread theft and vandalism of property over the years as well. As a result, we circle the wagons, know our neighbors well and then actively, but non-violently, confront anyone wondering in off the beach...or just doesn't belong.

To the OP, not saying this is the home owner's motive in your particular case, but it's the most plausible explanation I can think of based on the track history we've had to endure on Bolivar. I'm also not condoning his actions b/c as an avid kayak fisherman, I wouldn't mind anyone kayak fishing from my docks and have had a lot of buddies that do kayak fish those canals at night. To my knowledge, none have ever experienced any problems b/c they headed my advice, which was to talk to the home owners and let them know what you're doing in advance. Sure, it's not legally required, but goes a long way to avoiding suspicion or confrontations. There have even been a number of my kayaking buddies who reported that home owners actually gave them tips on where to look for fish b/c they introduced themselves and asked permission up front.

The Sportsman Rights Act has been frequently discussed in the past on this forum, so I'll keep it brief and just add that it's a stretch to think that a Game Warden will issue a citation based on the circumstances described. After all, a Class B Misdemeanor is a fairly serious offense in Texas. In my almost 50- years of fishing that area, I've never run into a single Game Warden at night on the Peninsula. So, I have a feeling you'll run a greater risk of pissing off the Game Warden by calling them out in the middle of the night without some sort of supporting and compelling evidence of interference or harassment. I'm not going to jump out on a limb and say that the Game Warden will be so pissed that they're just as likely cite you for false reporting (also a Class B Misdemeanor) without some supporting evidence, just saying it's always nice to stay in their good graces. Therefore, my advice would be to record everything and review it carefully before making the call.
Nah, I would never call a game warden out for something like that.
And yes, I have noticed the folks over there on Bolivar are particularly protective. I've been confronted while bank fishing and wasn't even on their private property. Some of them just don't like strangers around. It's ok though, there are plenty of fishing places to go to without worrying about a confrontation. Fishing the canal lights at night is not my favorite way of fishing anyway.
My buddy that went with me that night loves it though. When I suggested doing some night fishing out in the bay he say's he don't like that. Say's he feels more secure and safe in the canals. lol
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Ron Mc wrote:....As to the OP, I think the homeowner over-reacted, but if you think about sitting in your living room after dark and having boats hanging around outside your window, it's kind of voyeur-creepy, or at least be viewed as an invasion of privacy.

I get what you're saying about privacy, but the living room (along with all the living spaces) are on the upstairs level of bay houses and beach houses, so there's not really a creep-vibe thing for those spaces. However, your point certainly could apply to the outdoor, ground level spaces/decks a homeowner hangs out on whether he is fishing or watching the fish in his lights. Me personally, I would not be downstairs unless I was fishing. That's where the mosquitoes are. :wink:
bigbuzzard

Re: RE: Re: Your thoughts on fishing the home owners canal lights

Post by bigbuzzard »

Reefmonkey wrote:
Cityfisher wrote:So, last Saturday night my buddy and I and his 2 boys (19 and 20) went and fished some canals over on Bolivar. .... And why should this guy buy lights and put them in public waters and get mad if someone fishes them??? Kinda silly really. But again, should I be more understanding of his point of view? Or do you think that this person was just being an unreasonable jerk?
To be honest with you, I don't even want to bother with fishing peoples dock lights anymore if I am going to be harrassed every time I go out.
My family has had a house on the end of a canal in Pirate’s Cove since 1983. We’ve got lights in the water and don’t usually mind a kayaker fishing over them when we aren’t out there. But if we are out on our deck, even if we are not fishing, there is a good chance we are watching the fish that the lights and electricity we paid for attracted, and we really don’t want some random kayaker scaring them off.

A lot of us have those lights out not just, or even primarily, to fish over, we like to stand out on our deck on a nice summer evening and just watch the fish. And when some kayaker paddles up without so much as a “by your leave” and starts fishing over those lights, he usually ends up chasing the fish we were watching off, and they don’t usually come back until quite a while after he has paddled off. Especially if he catches one, that really scares the rest off for a while. So he’s spoilt our evening’s entertainment. That we’ve paid for.

Our resentment when someone does is even a little more deep-seated than that, and so while I probably wouldn’t have acted like that homeowner you ran into, I can understand a little where he might be coming from, and maybe explain it to you here.

I can’t tell you how many times we have looked out to see a stranger standing in our yard or even on our dock fishing. And one night we were all sitting out on the deck over our boathouse having some afterdinner drinks when a guy in his fifties drives through our yard all the way to the bulkhead and jumps out and starts fishing. We ask him what the hell he thinks he’s doing, and he tries to lie and say it’s public property and he has the right to fish it and has done so for years.

There is an attitude some people take when they are in our neighborhood, I don’t know if a lot of them are renters or using a friend’s house or what, but they don’t seem to see a neighborhood full of vacation homes as a “real” neighborhood, so I guess they think people don’t “really” own the houses, so every house is “everyone’s” and fair game to use. People cut through our yard all the time, and I don’t just mean a few feet around a corner, and I don’t just mean on foot. We have a big corner lot, and have had several people drive those stupid golf carts diagonally a hundred feet or more through the middle of our yard, leaving big ruts in the yard. We’ve had the people who rarely use their house across the street from ours apart from the usual summer holiday weekends throw enormous parties and their guests use our yard as a parking lot, which ends up destroying the sprinkler system. I called the cops, and at first the cop said “well you know, they are allowed to park on the street with the tires from one side of the car on the grass”, and I pointed at all the cars with all four tires on our grass, and he said “okay, I’ll go tell them to move.”

So, homeowners who have dealt with years of inconsiderate jagoffs treating their property like a public fairground end up getting a mite touchy about people just assuming its okay to benefit from their property without asking. And when someone else pays for lights, pays for the electricity, and you fish over those lights that wouldn’t be there otherwise, you are benefiting from their property.

So, my advice is, if you want to be considerate, choose your house carefully. Go for the houses that don’t seem to be occupied at all that weekend, or at least ones that don’t seem to have a lot of activity going on. Especially avoid the ones with people out on the deck. Or ask “do you mind if I fish over your lights?” and if they say they’d rather you not, then politely move on and fish somewhere else. If someone asked nicely like that, even if I was watching the fish I'd probably say "no problem" and even point out the big ones to them from my vantage point and let them know if their casts are getting close or not.
Seems your comment sums it all up as there are a lot of people out there who have no respect for others and their property. On that thread I remember a time of not locking your doors, or car and even leaving the keys in the ignition. People honored your property. Sad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Man, I like this thread because I night fish and I am a laywer!

I can do some more legal research, but here some annotations on the statute:
Capture.JPG
If really want the cases, shoot me a PM and email address, and I will email them to you. Hell, might do some legislative history research too, but I'd rather just night fish and be courteous to homeowners so they don't interfere with me.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

so if the guy's banging on the dock, do you tack a business card there?
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I got into a massive gun fight with a dock owner and his posse once. My buddies Wyatt, Virgil, and Doc liked to fish the reef off the end of his structure and his lights made it better. Tensions brewed until one fateful night on Wednesday, October 26th. Few people have heard of this brief, but spectacular episode. About 30 shots were fired within 30 seconds and some of us were only 6 feet apart. It's a wonder we all paddled away from it! That reef was good fishing, being made out of coral instead of oyster as is usual in our bays, but I'll never go back! You'll never catch me anywhere NEAR the O.K. Coral Reef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

It might not have come to that if you hand't pistol-shrimped his brother the week before
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Oh great. So now you're telling me I can't take time out of my fishing day to punish curs and criminals?! This isn't the America I grew up in! Fine. I'll just quit patrolling the bays and marshes keeping law and order. Happy now?! I'm going to go wax my manly mustache to try to calm my vexed nerves now.

1texasaggie

Post by 1texasaggie »

Nah, I would never call a game warden out for something like that.
And yes, I have noticed the folks over there on Bolivar are particularly protective. I've been confronted while bank fishing and wasn't even on their private property. Some of them just don't like strangers around. It's ok though, there are plenty of fishing places to go to without worrying about a confrontation. Fishing the canal lights at night is not my favorite way of fishing anyway.
My buddy that went with me that night loves it though. When I suggested doing some night fishing out in the bay he say's he don't like that. Say's he feels more secure and safe in the canals. lol
Yep, I've run into the very same problems on Bolivar and understand where folks on both sides are coming from. It wasn't always like that and really didn't start getting bad until the mid '80s when the trash started rolling in. Then the burglary, theft, vandalism, property destruction and even homicides started to become a problem. At least in Port Bolivar b/c Crystal Beach to High Island appeared to be way less problematic until relatively recently.

Similar to reefmonkey, I have a large lot on the gulf side that attracts all kinds of idiots on 4- wheelers, golf carts, motorcycles, etc that like to tear through my yard, rut up the ground and kill my grass. The thieves have been so brazen recently that they will literally walk up underneath houses and steal fishing rods, Yeti coolers, kayaks, etc. in broad daylight while the owners are still upstairs.

Question: Instead of relying on other peoples lights, why not just get your own? This is what I did to avoid potential clashes with homeowners, and then it gave me a lot more flexibility where to fish b/c I literally became a mobile platform. This system also doubled as a flounder gigging / nighttime crabbing platform and only requires a few more minutes to assemble / disassemble. All you need is a stable kayak, small-ish marine battery and I'm sure the led lights today are way brighter and more advanced than my old rig. Just a thought.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Oh great. So now you're telling me I can't take time out of my fishing day to punish curs and criminals?! This isn't the America I grew up in! Fine. I'll just quit patrolling the bays and marshes keeping law and order. Happy now?! I'm going to go wax my manly mustache to try to calm my vexed nerves now.

check with Doc Holiday Beach, he's got the calm thing smoking
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

[quote="Instead of relying on other peoples lights, why not just get your own? This is what I did to avoid potential clashes with homeowners, and then it gave me a lot more flexibility where to fish b/c I literally became a mobile platform. This system also doubled as a flounder gigging / nighttime crabbing platform and only requires a few more minutes to assemble / disassemble. All you need is a stable kayak, small-ish marine battery and I'm sure the led lights today are way brighter and more advanced than my old rig. Just a thought.[/quote]

I have thought about that but wondered how successful I could be. Maybe a 20' or 30' cord and some sort of weight or something to keep the light in place? I did see kickingback mentioned he had his own light earlier in this post. Was wondering how he does it?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Just like you said. I have a green underwater LED and have a 5 oz weight atached to the LED itself and I have a float slip tied to it to keep the cord off the bottom so I can throw easier around it. It is 20' long and I have an SAE connector on the very front of my Hobie and I toss it out and start fishing. Easy as pie.
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Yaklash wrote:Me personally, I would not be downstairs unless I was fishing. That's where the mosquitoes are. :wink:
Ah, nights when the skeeters are a problem, they're everywhere. We have dinner on the deck over our boathouse a lot in the summer, but we know it's time to grab our plates and head inside when the first family member slaps him/herself.
1texasaggie

Post by 1texasaggie »

I have thought about that but wondered how successful I could be. Maybe a 20' or 30' cord and some sort of weight or something to keep the light in place? I did see kickingback mentioned he had his own light earlier in this post. Was wondering how he does it?
There's probably an infinite number of possibilities, but I used to own a Malibu Stealth 12. The easiest method I thought of was to build a set of PVC support arms and contour them the length of my kayak. I never wanted to drill holes in my kayak yet wanted something that was rapid deployment. So I utilized the 4 built in rod holders (2 on each side) as attachment points, where each arm would literally just slip down into the holders. I placed the battery down in the gator hatch (bow), angled the front of the arm where the lights were submerged, 1/2 cutout the PVC to direct the light down in the water and then mounted the lights using zip ties. This allowed me to have two super bright lights shining down in the water.

A word of caution: boaters tend to freak out with this type of set-up, where ICW barges would regularly shine their spotlight on me. One of the captains actually began yelling at me. Coast Guard vessels would also occasionally stop to investigate. The upside is the fishing can be great at times and you will see a lot of cool things you never knew existed. You also have to be patient b/c it takes a while for the baitfish to congregate around your kayak.

Just a quick google search yield this set-up http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Kayak-Led-Lights/
Another pic: https://cdn.instructables.com/FOS/SAJO/ ... .LARGE.jpg
Doesn't look very bright, but it's cheap and painless compared to my old rig.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I have LED's just like that on my Hobie all around.
I also have a "cooler float" I bought from Wally World when they were on sale. You can use it to float a cooler on the water. I can put my 7AH battery in the float and dangle the light over the side of it. I simply tie a heavy rock or 2lb weight to hold the float still and then I can move around freely around the light. Hope this makes sense. Better if you see me set it up. I have to blow the float up once I want to set it up and deflate when I am done. I think it is made by Ozark Trails but anything that can float a battery will work. The 7AH battery is sealed in case it does fall in the water. I tie it to the float so I don't have to dive after it if it does fall off the float.
Found a pic of the float...Image
Last edited by kickingback on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Ya'll have some great ideas. Thanks!