Your thoughts on fishing the home owners canal lights

Cityfisher

Re: Your thoughts on fishing the home owners canal lights

Post by Cityfisher »

shoffer wrote:Good thread, boys. I fish the lights at night a ton (and have for the last 7 years) and I have never met an unruly homeowner or had anyone say anything to me. That may also be because I don't fish lights that are occupied by homeowners. I just think it is bad form and is no different than a yakker or powerboater coming to fish right where you are. Potlicking may not be illegal, but it sure is rude. [Please note that I am NOT saying that is what the original poster did. They were clearly not bothering anyone].

Trailchaser, thanks for posting that statute. I think it is a good reminder for all of us that we have rights while out there enjoying nature. Though, me being the attorney that I am, I would definitely represent the homeowner in the event he was charged with a Class B misdemeanor, and invoke his affirmative defense of the First Amendment set forth in Section Sec. 62.0125(h). I would not like it, but hell, if I was able to thwart the prosecution of a homeowner with some sweet canal lights, I would defintely give it a shot! :lol: It's never a bad idea to have that guy with the sweet canal lights and a new private launch point owe me one.
That is to funny! I sure hope know one has ever really gone to court over that. But these days you never know. lol
The scary thing I think about though is if theses canal communities could limit access to these canals to home owners only by putting up remote gates or no trspassing signs at the entrances like they do neighborhoods. Maybe that would be in conflict with the statutes stated above by trailchaser though.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Being mostly night fisherman, I had my fare of stories with canal home owners. The worst case was on Tiki Island. One Jumping Jack AH that threatened shooting us. We were probably 30 ft from his light and not even casting toward his home. The others were less threatening, just using foul language, but nothing overboard.

Another one that was a bit funny was at Pirate's Cove. I gut hooked a fish and was fighting the hook out of his mouth. Turned on my LED lights that probably shine over 1,000 lumens to get the hook out. This guy from the house comes out with his own spot light and starts shining me with it. I told him that I would turn them off as soon as I could release the fish. He was not a happy camper. Maybe he could not sleep with the lights on. :)

Learned fishing etiquette from some incidents which were my fault. I avoid lights where owners are fishing and houses with dogs. Not because I fear the dog, but because they will not shut up and wake everyone up.

In retrospect, I should have called the police on that Jumping Jack AH who threatened to shoot us. Should have told him to watch his mouth too.
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Cityfisher wrote:So, last Saturday night my buddy and I and his 2 boys (19 and 20) went and fished some canals over on Bolivar. .... And why should this guy buy lights and put them in public waters and get mad if someone fishes them??? Kinda silly really. But again, should I be more understanding of his point of view? Or do you think that this person was just being an unreasonable jerk?
To be honest with you, I don't even want to bother with fishing peoples dock lights anymore if I am going to be harrassed every time I go out.
My family has had a house on the end of a canal in Pirate’s Cove since 1983. We’ve got lights in the water and don’t usually mind a kayaker fishing over them when we aren’t out there. But if we are out on our deck, even if we are not fishing, there is a good chance we are watching the fish that the lights and electricity we paid for attracted, and we really don’t want some random kayaker scaring them off.

A lot of us have those lights out not just, or even primarily, to fish over, we like to stand out on our deck on a nice summer evening and just watch the fish. And when some kayaker paddles up without so much as a “by your leave” and starts fishing over those lights, he usually ends up chasing the fish we were watching off, and they don’t usually come back until quite a while after he has paddled off. Especially if he catches one, that really scares the rest off for a while. So he’s spoilt our evening’s entertainment. That we’ve paid for.

Our resentment when someone does is even a little more deep-seated than that, and so while I probably wouldn’t have acted like that homeowner you ran into, I can understand a little where he might be coming from, and maybe explain it to you here.

I can’t tell you how many times we have looked out to see a stranger standing in our yard or even on our dock fishing. And one night we were all sitting out on the deck over our boathouse having some afterdinner drinks when a guy in his fifties drives through our yard all the way to the bulkhead and jumps out and starts fishing. We ask him what the hell he thinks he’s doing, and he tries to lie and say it’s public property and he has the right to fish it and has done so for years.

There is an attitude some people take when they are in our neighborhood, I don’t know if a lot of them are renters or using a friend’s house or what, but they don’t seem to see a neighborhood full of vacation homes as a “real” neighborhood, so I guess they think people don’t “really” own the houses, so every house is “everyone’s” and fair game to use. People cut through our yard all the time, and I don’t just mean a few feet around a corner, and I don’t just mean on foot. We have a big corner lot, and have had several people drive those stupid golf carts diagonally a hundred feet or more through the middle of our yard, leaving big ruts in the yard. We’ve had the people who rarely use their house across the street from ours apart from the usual summer holiday weekends throw enormous parties and their guests use our yard as a parking lot, which ends up destroying the sprinkler system. I called the cops, and at first the cop said “well you know, they are allowed to park on the street with the tires from one side of the car on the grass”, and I pointed at all the cars with all four tires on our grass, and he said “okay, I’ll go tell them to move.”

So, homeowners who have dealt with years of inconsiderate jagoffs treating their property like a public fairground end up getting a mite touchy about people just assuming its okay to benefit from their property without asking. And when someone else pays for lights, pays for the electricity, and you fish over those lights that wouldn’t be there otherwise, you are benefiting from their property.

So, my advice is, if you want to be considerate, choose your house carefully. Go for the houses that don’t seem to be occupied at all that weekend, or at least ones that don’t seem to have a lot of activity going on. Especially avoid the ones with people out on the deck. Or ask “do you mind if I fish over your lights?” and if they say they’d rather you not, then politely move on and fish somewhere else. If someone asked nicely like that, even if I was watching the fish I'd probably say "no problem" and even point out the big ones to them from my vantage point and let them know if their casts are getting close or not.
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

TrailChaser wrote: I'm sure the OP knows this, but for those of you who are not aware of the actual laws in place for this type of situation..
What the guy(homeowner) did is technically illegal. Fishermen are protected by law from exactly this type of behaviour, you don't have to tolerate being yelled at when you are doing nothing wrong. Definitely leave and don't escalate the situation, but reporting this kind of harassment can save others from dealing with the same unruly person in the future.

Sec. 62.0125. HARASSMENT OF HUNTERS, TRAPPERS, AND FISHERMEN. (a) This section may be cited as the Sportsman's Rights Act.
(b) In this section:
(1) "Wildlife" means all species of wild mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, or amphibians.
(2) "Process of hunting or catching" means any act directed at the lawful hunting or catching of wildlife, including camping or other acts preparatory to hunting or catching of wildlife that occur on land or water on which the affected person has the right or privilege of hunting or catching that wildlife.
(c) No person may intentionally interfere with another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.
(d) No person may intentionally harass, drive, or disturb any wildlife for the purpose of disrupting a person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.

(e) No person may enter or remain on public land or enter or remain on private land without the landowner's or his agent's consent if the person intends to disrupt another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.
(f) This section does not apply to a peace officer of this state, a law enforcement officer of the United States, a member of the armed forces of the United States or of this state, or employees of the department or other state or federal agencies having statutory responsibility to manage wildlife or land during the time that the officer, member, or employee is in the actual discharge of official duties.
(g) A person who violates this section commits an offense. An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor.
(h) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution that the defendant's conduct is protected by the right to freedom of speech under the constitution of this state or the United States.

Added by Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 731, Sec. 1, eff. Aug. 26, 1985. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 700, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 11, 1993.
heh, that law was written to go after PETA types who go out on public lands and scare off game so hunters can't get them. No ones going to prosecute someone for stand ing on his own private property and making a little noise. Being a jerk on your own property isn't a crime.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

reefmonkey,
Thank you for sharing your feelings on this as a home owner. It really does explain why some folks do get bent outta shape. Honestly, if I saw the kind of behavior that you shared week after week I would start getting resentful and angry to.
I wish I could say I'm surprised at the behavior of these disrespectful fisher people, but I'm not. It's just a damn shame you can't get out and not see the remnants of those kind of people. trash, posted signs, angry home owners, etc .from those kind of folks actions... Just makes me sad, and angry!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Reefmonkey, I too appreciate your posting from a home owners point of view. I always look, ask, and respect while I am around any homes with lights on. Common sense. I would never throw a line if i saw someone with lights or without lights. Without lights I can't tell if they have a line in the water so i am courteous like that. If they are chilling I usually talk to them and then ask. Never had an issue.
You don't know how many times I will be fishing somewhere quiet with no one around with my lines out and a power boater comes by with engines running. Scares away my fish every time. Makes me upset as well. It's all about respect in the end. Treat others the way you want to be treated.
I have to ask you, while you are sitting there enjoying your lights and the fish and a neighbor is returning from a trip in his power boat with it's engine running in a 20' wide channel and is motoring past your light will the fish do the same as you described? I say yes and maybe even worse. Do you not get upset with them for "spoiling your entertainment" or is it just the rude kayakers?
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Yeah, if everyone followed the Golden rule the world would be a better place.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

I don't think a boat passing by is the same kickingback. Unless they stop and fish or throw a 2 foot wake!
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

kickingback wrote:Reefmonkey, I too appreciate your posting from a home owners point of view. I always look, ask, and respect while I am around any homes with lights on. Common sense. I would never throw a line if i saw someone with lights or without lights. Without lights I can't tell if they have a line in the water so i am courteous like that. If they are chilling I usually talk to them and then ask. Never had an issue.
You don't know how many times I will be fishing somewhere quiet with no one around with my lines out and a power boater comes by with engines running. Scares away my fish every time. Makes me upset as well. It's all about respect in the end. Treat others the way you want to be treated.
I have to ask you, while you are sitting there enjoying your lights and the fish and a neighbor is returning from a trip in his power boat with it's engine running in a 20' wide channel and is motoring past your light will the fish do the same as you described? I say yes and maybe even worse. Do you not get upset with them for "spoiling your entertainment" or is it just the rude kayakers?
I have never encountered the hypothetical scenario you constructed. My house is at the very end of the canal, like being at the end of a cul de sac, so no motor boat can "pass by" my lights. Even if they could, the fish don't generally congregate around the light until about an hour after sundown, and it's really rare to see powerboats out so late, at least in my neighborhood. So I have a question for you. If you lived at the end of a cup de sac, and at 9:30 at night, strangers you don't recognize came and started hanging out under the streetlight right in front of your house, playing a little b-ball or whatever, that would never be an issue for you?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

LOL, that's so funny you ask that! I have a light right in my front yard and the kids across the street are playing in the same light all the time! It doesn't bother me as I don't have any fish to scare away...LOL Besides, they are just having fun! I enjoy watching others have fun.
I fish lights at night all the time and have witnessed PB's coming home down those channels from a day of fishing. I seen the fish scatter from the lights every time. Your lucky to be at the end. I usually don't fish the "cul-de-sac" homes as I haven't had good catches from them from my experience.
Thanks for posting like I said.
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Having the kids from across the street playing is different from having strangers come onto your cul de sac to hang out. And as city fisher said, a boat passing by is different from someone sitting on your lights and fishing them. Of the former, the fish will scatter but come back fairly quickly, for the latter, even when I'm fishing my own lights, I've learned once I've hooked one fish, I might as well pack it in, the rest are going to be spooked at least for longer than I want to stay up waiting for them.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Sorry but your wrong about the PB's. I witness it first hand all the time. It's a fact. Fish are spooked by sound and the canals are only 25' wide with bulkheads on each side which transmit the sound even more. Sitting at the end I don't think you have any PB traffic during your relaxing time to notice this. And when I fish lights I can catch a fish on one light and cruise down the canal and I hit the same light on the way out and get another bite so it isn't always like you say. Trust me. I don't lie.
Don't worry, I know I will never fish your lights being at the end. Enjoy them!
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Actually I do notice it, for a while we had both a 27' Grady and a 19' Grady (sold the 27' because we just weren't using it). The 27' was always under the boathouse, but when we used the 19 it was tied up along the dock between the lights and the house, and we'd often have to move it at night over to our other dock between our house and our neighbors if the tide was looking like it was going to really drop. I'd notice the fish scatter when I started up the 19' (It's a '93 model year and before we hung a new outboard on it it had a really loud Johnson) but they were pretty much back when I had finished tying up on the other dock. Now that the 27' is gone abd the 19' is under the boathouse, the boathouse dock is where I tie up my sailboat, and evening winds require me to move the sailboat over to the other dock at night to keep the mast from banging against the deck on top of the boathouse. Same thing, the fish scatter as I move the boat past them, but quickly regroup over the lights. Fish are conditioned to retreat from a momentary disturbance but stay in close vicinity for a few moments and return to what they were doing once the disturbance passed, but a more sustained disturbance is going to send them looking for a safer location to feed. 30+ years of fishing, and keeping fish in aquariums and ponds has taught me a little bit about their behavior.
Blue Devil 7

Post by Blue Devil 7 »

Reefmonkey wrote:
TrailChaser wrote:

Sec. 62.0125. HARASSMENT OF HUNTERS, TRAPPERS, AND FISHERMEN. (a) This section may be cited as the Sportsman's
<snip>
heh, that law was written to go after PETA types who go out on public lands and scare off game so hunters can't get them. No ones going to prosecute someone for standing on his own private property and making a little noise. Being a jerk on your own property isn't a crime.
I will disagree with you on this point. If a person is engaged in a legal fishing activity, the law says they can not be harassed. Period. It says nothing about if the harrasor is on private property or not. If the canal is navigable waterway, then the public has a right to it. If you put you lights in a navigable waterway, it doesn't make the whole waterway, or even the portion around your lights, private. So, if being a jerk on your private dock includes harassing an otherwise legal fisherman or jumping up and down just to scare the fish away, then it would be a violation. I'm sure a game warden would use some discretion there, but threats of violence would certainly be crossing the line.

Having said that, it is my opinion that fishing someone's lights when they are there trying to enjoy them (fishing or not) would be extremely rude. Case in point, I was fishing in Lake Buchanan last weekend with my power boat. My friends wanted to do some night fishing so we headed across the lake to a boat dock that was lit up like a football stadium. As soon as we got close enough to see that those folks were there fishing their lights, we swung wide and moved down to the next dock which was unoccupied. We just thought that was the courteous thing to do. Common courtesy goes a long way.
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Blue Devil 7 wrote:
Reefmonkey wrote:
TrailChaser wrote:

Sec. 62.0125. HARASSMENT OF HUNTERS, TRAPPERS, AND FISHERMEN. (a) This section may be cited as the Sportsman's
<snip>
heh, that law was written to go after PETA types who go out on public lands and scare off game so hunters can't get them. No ones going to prosecute someone for standing on his own private property and making a little noise. Being a jerk on your own property isn't a crime.
I will disagree with you on this point. If a person is engaged in a legal fishing activity, the law says they can not be harassed. Period. It says nothing about if the harrasor is on private property or not. If the canal is navigable waterway, then the public has a right to it. If you put you lights in a navigable waterway, it doesn't make the whole waterway, or even the portion around your lights, private. So, if being a jerk on your private dock includes harassing an otherwise legal fisherman or jumping up and down just to scare the fish away, then it would be a violation. I'm sure a game warden would use some discretion there, but threats of violence would certainly be crossing the line.

Having said that, it is my opinion that fishing someone's lights when they are there trying to enjoy them (fishing or not) would be extremely rude. Case in point, I was fishing in Lake Buchanan last weekend with my power boat. My friends wanted to do some night fishing so we headed across the lake to a boat dock that was lit up like a football stadium. As soon as we got close enough to see that those folks were there fishing their lights, we swung wide and moved down to the next dock which was unoccupied. We just thought that was the courteous thing to do. Common courtesy goes a long way.
Check out paragraph e, it reveals the intent of the law:
No person may enter or remain on public land or enter or remain on private land without the landowner's or his agent's consent if the person intends to disrupt another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.
So you can remain on private property with the intent of disrupting another person lawfully engaged in the process or hunting or fishing if you have the permission of the landower (or are the landowner, obviously). As long as a man does not leave his private property, any attempt to prosecute him for actions he took entirely within his private property is going to run up against a wall of case law and common law related to private property rights.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

...a man with a gun shooting at fisherman that wont go away...Yep, big wall of law there I can see! :lol:
Same principle, same property, different weapon. One is a mouth and the other can kill someone.
Game Wardens have been called and citations issued. Anyone not believing this needs to try it and see how big of a wall they come to.
And I don't know but one kid that lives across the street. The others are strangers showing up at my light making my dogs bark. I enjoy watching them. :lol:
Blue Devil 7

Post by Blue Devil 7 »

Reefmonkey wrote:
Blue Devil 7 wrote:
Reefmonkey wrote: heh, that law was written to go after PETA types who go out on public lands and scare off game so hunters can't get them. No ones going to prosecute someone for standing on his own private property and making a little noise. Being a jerk on your own property isn't a crime.

Check out paragraph e, it reveals the intent of the law:
No person may enter or remain on public land or enter or remain on private land without the landowner's or his agent's consent if the person intends to disrupt another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.
So you can remain on private property with the intent of disrupting another person lawfully engaged in the process or hunting or fishing if you have the permission of the landower (or are the landowner, obviously). As long as a man does not leave his private property, any attempt to prosecute him for actions he took entirely within his private property is going to run up against a wall of case law and common law related to private property rights.
Again, I disagree. Paragraph E is superseded by paragraphs C and D.

(c) No person may intentionally interfere with another person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.
(d) No person may intentionally harass, drive, or disturb any wildlife for the purpose of disrupting a person lawfully engaged in the process of hunting or catching wildlife.

Those statements are pretty clear and straight forward

Paragraph E is poorly worded. First of all nobody should be entering private property without the consent of the landowner or their agent for any reason anyway. Second of all if they are intending harass legal sportsmen, then they are already in violation of paragraph C and/or D . I really don't think the intent of the law is to give landowners and their agents the latitude to give permission to harass lawful fisherman and hunters from privately owned property. That would just be silly especially when you consider that like 90% of the hunting in the state is done on private property, and the PETA types would fully exploit that loophole. If that were the intent of the law, then paragraph E should be spelled out as an exception to C and D.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

I just want to fish!!!

It's Friday, 2 more hours and no more work til Monday, and I plan on being on the water from tomorrow morning till Sunday afternoon.
Happy Friday everyone!
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Blue Devil 7 wrote:
Reefmonkey wrote:
Blue Devil 7 wrote:
Again, I disagree.
Well, again, when it comes to actually prosecuting, statute law doesn't exist in a vacuum, common law (case law) concerning private property rights, etc. comes into play. But out of curiosity I sent the gist of Cityfisher's experience to a game warden through TPWD's website. They're usually pretty good about getting back to people, I contacted them this way once before, a few years ago, when people on this website were talking about tailing stingrays, and I suggested that was a violation of Sec. 66.011, leaving edible or bait fish to die without intent to retain for consumption or use as bait. Several here strongly disagreed with that notion, but the warden replied that if they saw someone tailing a stingray and leaving it they would indeed issue a citation.
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

kickingback wrote:...a man with a gun shooting at fisherman that wont go away...Yep, big wall of law there I can see! :lol:
Same principle, same property, different weapon. One is a mouth and the other can kill someone.
Game Wardens have been called and citations issued. Anyone not believing this needs to try it and see how big of a wall they come to.
And I don't know but one kid that lives across the street. The others are strangers showing up at my light making my dogs bark. I enjoy watching them. :lol:
We weren't talking about shooting at fishermen. Trailchaser specifically told Cityfisher that the homeowner who "grabs a pole and starts jumping up and down and banging the dock and say's, see if you find any fish now! " had violated the law against interfering with a hunter or fisherman, and I was specifically replying to that. If someone shoots at fishermen, he's not going to be charged with interfering with a fisherman, he's going to be charged with anything from reckless endangerment to aggravated assault to attempted murder.

As for game wardens having been called and citations issued, it's not that I don't believe you ( :wink: ) but do you have any published secondary sources of someone being cited for standing on his private dock and yelling at a fisherman and stamping his feet? I'd be very interested to read them.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Reefmonkey wrote:
Blue Devil 7 wrote:
Reefmonkey wrote:
Well, again, when it comes to actually prosecuting, statute law doesn't exist in a vacuum, common law (case law) concerning private property rights, etc. comes into play. But out of curiosity I sent the gist of Cityfisher's experience to a game warden through TPWD's website. They're usually pretty good about getting back to people, I contacted them this way once before, a few years ago, when people on this website were talking about tailing stingrays, and I suggested that was a violation of Sec. 66.011, leaving edible or bait fish to die without intent to retain for consumption or use as bait. Several here strongly disagreed with that notion, but the warden replied that if they saw someone tailing a stingray and leaving it they would indeed issue a citation.
Even though it was no big deal just to move on without any further confrontation, I'm curious as to what the GW has to say.
Post back when you hear something.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Reefmonkey wrote:
kickingback wrote:...a man with a gun shooting at fisherman that wont go away...Yep, big wall of law there I can see! :lol:
We weren't talking about shooting at fishermen. Trailchaser specifically told Cityfisher that the homeowner who "grabs a pole and starts jumping up and down and banging the dock and say's, see if you find any fish now! " had violated the law against interfering with a hunter or fisherman, and I was specifically replying to that. If someone shoots at fishermen, he's not going to be charged with interfering with a fisherman, he's going to be charged with anything from reckless endangerment to aggravated assault to attempted murder.

As for game wardens having been called and citations issued, it's not that I don't believe you ( :wink: ) but do you have any published secondary sources of someone being cited for standing on his private dock and yelling at a fisherman and stamping his feet? I'd be very interested to read them.
Don't need any "sources" as I am the source. Call me a liar again and see what happens!
Everyone knows that words can hurt as much as a weapon. Look at yours.
Laws are made to protect everyone, not just a property owner watching his fish in a light. I will call the game warden on you or anyone else that even opens their mouth at me for fishing in public waters. I'm done with you. You think you are a lawyer but I doubt you even own a kayak and wonder why you are in these forums. These forums are to help kayakers. Not home owners.
Get off your high horse. We were nice to you when you first posted but you are off the deep end now and the gloves are coming off. :horse:
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

kickingback wrote:
Reefmonkey wrote:

Don't need any "sources" as I am the source. Call me a liar again and see what happens!
Everyone knows that words can hurt as much as a weapon. Look at yours.
Laws are made to protect everyone, not just a property owner watching his fish in a light. I will call the game warden on you or anyone else that even opens their mouth at me for fishing in public waters. I'm done with you. You think you are a lawyer but I doubt you even own a kayak and wonder why you are in these forums. These forums are to help kayakers. Not home owners.
Get off your high horse. We were nice to you when you first posted but you are off the deep end now and the gloves are coming off. :horse:
Jeezus, dude, calm down, the only one on his high horse or off the deep end here is you. I have not insulted or been rude to you or anyone else on this forum, I just asked you if you could provide evidence for your assertion that citations have been issued for situations like the OP's and you flipped out, which is telling in itself. I didn't call you a liar, I was merely saying I wasn't just going to take your word for it, and I stand by that. So now that I have said it again, I am just dying of curiosity to "see what happens!" per your threat.

As for your expression of doubt that I own a kayak, as anyone can well see by clicking on my profile, I have been a member of this forum since 2005, which is over a decade longer than you have. "We were nice to you when you first posted" - oh, so now you speak for everyone on the board?

I calmly and respectfully answered the OP's question, and calmly and respectfully replied to everyone on this thread, including you. When you made an argument I thought was incorrect and/or not well developed or supported, I responded with an explanation of why I thought that, in a respectful way. That's how discussion forums are supposed to work. It seems you don't like to have weaknesses in your arguments pointed out to you, but that's no justification for lashing out at me as you have above.
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

So today I spoke on the phone with a warden named "Bobby", phone number 409 739 1532. He said that in a case like Cityfisher's where a homeowner jumped up and down on his dock briefly to scare away fish in a confrontation with a fisherman, that's not something a warden would cite the homeowner for under the Sportsman's Right Act. Now if he stayed out there and continued to do it for a prolonged time, then that might rise to something that the homeowner could get a citation for. And though Warden Bobby didn't say this, I imagine if a local game warden's office had received multiple complaints of a homeowner doing this repeatedly, he'd rightly get a ticket.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Thanks for the game wardens thoughts on that. I'm sure they have more to contend with than some home owner getting upset for fishing his dock lights. Crazy people.
On a good note, I took my son and another good friend of mine fishing and camping Saturday & Sunday. We hit up some dock lights after dark and had a nice time. There was one woman that came out while we were on her lights and she politely said "Hey guys, we are about to come out and start fishing if you don't mind". After complimenting her on the choice of music we got to listen to while fishing we moved on with no issues at all.