Another One Bites the Dust

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Another One Bites the Dust

Post by Yaklash »

I heard last weekend from my nephew that the cul-de-sac at the west end of Bay Breeze Drive in Lower West Galveston Bay has been fenced off, preventing people from driving down to the water's edge (there is a new house built back there; assume they didn't like that their front yard was the spot where we jumped the curb :oops: ). He also said there are signs warning not to block the driveways, but that one can still park along the Cul-De-Sac or road and walk back to the water to fish. Sucks for all, but especially for those who would want to launch a kayak.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Another One Bites the Dust

Post by Drifting Yak »

I heard thru the grapevine that the ramp at Sea Isle will be closed to boats. Not sure if this a short term thing or how it might affect kayaks but was hoping that someone near there could verify. Anybody know for sure?
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Drifting Yak wrote:I heard thru the grapevine that the ramp at Sea Isle will be closed to boats. Not sure if this a short term thing or how it might affect kayaks but was hoping that someone near there could verify. Anybody know for sure?
Was told closed permanently. We launch by the pier anyway. Don't know if you launch yaks at the marina or not.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

It's getting pretty bad everywhere unfortunately. And not just the places around homes. I was in Surfside the weekend before the storm and noticed a few of the dirt road trails (not so popular ones) that I've used to access the bay now have a TPWD signs saying no entry allowed. I'm assuming it is for keeping the grass lands and nesting grounds around there from being destroyed and trashed. Whatever the reason, it is frustrating. What was a few 100 yards of paddling to a certain area will now be a mile or more.
RedsOnRiot

Post by RedsOnRiot »

Yaklash wrote:I heard last weekend from my nephew that the cul-de-sac at the west end of Bay Breeze Drive in Lower West Galveston Bay has been fenced off, preventing people from driving down to the water's edge (there is a new house built back there; assume they didn't like that their front yard was the spot where we jumped the curb :oops: ). He also said there are signs warning not to block the driveways, but that one can still park along the Cul-De-Sac or road and walk back to the water to fish. Sucks for all, but especially for those who would want to launch a kayak.
Yep it's been like that for a while now. Not exactly sure on time frame but I went sometime in the spring and it was closed off. I liked that spot for an easy walk-in wade.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Man, .... that sux..
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Man, .... that sux..
Not as upsetting as the loss of Bay Harbor walk in access for me personally, but this place was popular for more than just a few of us.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

[quote="WestEndTroutAssassin"]
"Was told closed permanently. We launch by the pier anyway. Don't know if you launch yaks at the marina or not."

WestEnd,
Launched from the marina a week or so after Harvey and no problem with that. It was clear when we launched but there was a log across the ramp after we got back. Then I called the bait shop and they told me that the ramp was closing. They also said they were not associated with the ramp and would continue to have bait.

Where is the pier that you mentioned?
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Drifting Yak wrote:
WestEndTroutAssassin wrote:
"Was told closed permanently. We launch by the pier anyway. Don't know if you launch yaks at the marina or not."

WestEnd,
Launched from the marina a week or so after Harvey and no problem with that. It was clear when we launched but there was a log across the ramp after we got back. Then I called the bait shop and they told me that the ramp was closing. They also said they were not associated with the ramp and would continue to have bait.

Where is the pier that you mentioned?
Yeah I think the HOA has the ramp. When you get into Sea Isle keep straight and the road goes to the right and quick left and is at the end of the street. Don't remember the street name.