Barometric Pressure Question...

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Barometric Pressure Question...

Post by kickingback »

This Tuesday the barometer will be dropping to about 29.78 at it's lowest then steadily climbing over the following few days.
My question is when is the best time to fish this scenario? Before the drop? During the drop? or After the drop?

I ask becasue Tuesday looks like a low wind day out the next few and a chance to get the kayak out to fish some channels and passes.

Thanks!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Barometric Pressure Question...

Post by karstopo »

Tides4fishing says rising is very good until pressure stabilizes. Failing is good at first, then not so much, so it says.

Let us know how you do.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Thanks Kars, I wondered if the falling was the worse scenario. I may wait for a break and go after the fall.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

kickingback wrote:Thanks Kars, I wondered if the falling was the worse scenario. I may wait for a break and go after the fall.
I'd have gone if I had a weekday off and low winds to boot, regardless of pressure, but then again, my trips in the last year have been far and few between, so I am fishing-starved.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

That's a juicy bit of over generalizing.

Slow falling is best to a moderate or slightly below moderate pressure. Also a rise during a frontal passage is also good. Past about 4 hours into a cold front passage (if it's very strong at all) no matter how much more it rises it will not be good fishing.

However, there are a couple of seasonal trends... one is that during the fall, a weak cool front won't necessarily hinder the fishing, and you can also be at locations that take advantage of the how water moves with frontal passage and wind shifts like the mouth of a Bayou or cut from the marsh and the fish many times will be waiting for bait to exit that marsh or cut.

Also, extreme low pressure events also slow fishing as well.. similar to high pressure but not quite as bad.

For the early fall.. if its a weaker front with only a couple hours of north wind. I'd say go fish. If it's 2-3 days of north, then go the day after the day that the winds calm all the way through the next frontal passage and 4 hours after that. One caveate is sight casting redfish... that can be done during the 2nd and 3rd days of the front with a lower tide and clear water even if the sky is still cloudless.

There is a ton of great fishing to be hard between now and June. I really don't fish the summers much anymore. So I'm just starting to hit the water now... that should say something.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Thanks Tobin. Makes sense! Glad you'll be getting out more this fall/winter. Make sure to grab Yaklash when you go so he gets his fishing "fix" in! LOL Hope you get out soon Yak!