Flounder after Harvey

lahai1dj

Flounder after Harvey

Post by lahai1dj »

What happens to the flounder after the bay system gets a freshwater flush? I'd imagine the flounder will follow the bait out to the Gulf early. Anyone have experience with this? What was the flounder run like after Hurricane Ike?
JMiller

Re: Flounder after Harvey

Post by JMiller »

They will stack up at the mouths of bayous or will follow the bait to areas in the bay system with better water visibility. They will stick around in fresh to brackish water if there is bait. I'm gonna post a fishing report later tonight, with over 50 keeper-sized flounder caught this weekend in an area of the bay that was draining flood water, but still maintaining 2'+ water visibility.
Bayou Burner

Post by Bayou Burner »

They're always going to be a local population that will stay in the bays/bayous. Flounder can tolerate fresh waster pretty well. I had a better year catching last than this one though. I'm anxious because a lot of the structure/sediment has changed the layout where they will lay and ambush forage. Take note if this: If a honey hole you reguarly catch them does not pan out, cast in places near there where you have not had any success, you'd be surprised .
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Should be a good fall.

Normally this time of year they would be just starting to stage a little in marsh ponds and moving to the guts of the marsh ponds. I agree with J that they'll be pushing into the bayous and drains and to the outside of them a little early with this fresh water. According to Skip James and Chester Moore in Sabine, flounder don't like a lot of sediment falling on them, but in the bayous and the exits that's probably not the case unless you're in a major tributary like Chocolate or Highland Bayou.