Fishing before and after a storm

Michael Meyer

Fishing before and after a storm

Post by Michael Meyer »

I live in Corpus Christi. We are watching what is happening with the remnants of Tropical Storm Harvey. The latest poop we have is that when it finishes crossing over the Yucatan Peninsula it will move over the Gulf and strengthen to either a tropical storm or, possibly a weak category 1 hurricane. The latest computer models cover a wide variety of paths to landfall. There is not a lot of confidence in any of the models at this time, with the models showing landfall anywhere between northern Mexico and Rockport. They all seem to agree that landfall will be Friday or Saturday morning.

I have heard that fishing is great before a storm. Is there any truth to that? If so, I will use my yak and hit the flats Thursday, before I have to use the yak to commute to the grocery store. :lol:

Also, how long after a storm does it take for fishing to return to normal? FYI, we fish the flats, marshes, and inland bays, not BTB.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Fishing before and after a storm

Post by Yaklash »

I've never heard that as related to tropical systems, but I have heard, read and experienced the feeding frenzy that some fish can fall into before a cold front hits in the fall. But either would involve barometric changes, so it is plausible.

For me tho, with tropical systems, tides will start to rise days in advance of the storm, and then winds pick up soon thereafter to a point that you will not find me in a boat anywhere near the coast. Small craft advisories are something with which I do not trifle. I'm anxious to read more responses though, because I do not mind wind as long as I am not in a boat.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

2 days, August 11th, before Alicia in 1983, I was in East Matagorda bay. The redfish turned on. It was every cast, a slot red, the slot then was 18-30" and 10 fish per person. Redfish were fighting over trying to get to the gold spoons. All our redfish went 24"-29.5", 20 fish for 2 people in about an hour and a half.

We didn't even know there was something out in the Gulf. You just never know

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

Yesterday(Wednesday 23rd) was an awesome pre-storm day to be on the water. Here's an example of what I pulled out of the water. Everything was caught sightcasting except for the fat speckled trout.

I was fishing the shorelines of Port O'Connor from about 9am-4pm. Most of the fish were caught between 11-2.

mmwaggie

Post by mmwaggie »

Sounds like an awesome day for you yesterday, Trail Chaser. Wish I didn't have work M-F :roll:
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Yeah, but you always do at least that well, so was it the storm or just your normal "put an @$$-kicking on the reds" kind of a day? :D Beautiful shots as usual, Trailchaser
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I think it could be a little better a couple days before the storm.. just like what Karstopo and TrainChasr eluded to... yes, they are both kickass fisherman. But I think there is a little room to say that just as the pressure begins to barely drop a little and we're seeing puffy low clouds (those 2 are related) then there should be good tide movement and decent winds and I don't think they know at this point a storm is coming, but I think that it creates almost ideal conditions.. similar to the prefrontal bite Yaklash is talking about. The difference with tropical storm vs pre frontal bite increase will be a tropical best bite will be several days before the storm.. the pre frontal bite is the day of. As soon as that tide starts getting high for this storm, abnormally high, and the winds start cranking, that's when it's going to get a little iffy. Nor would you want to be out there either, especially in a kayak. Don't push the envelope with storms, let's be smart and safe.. but a couple days out like yesterday and today I'd probably say there is some validity to it. If one goes Friday.. ummm... I'm not coming to get anyone and the Coastguard might not either..

As for after the storm, there is a couple things to think about. As soon as the low pressure recedes and it will recede fairly fast day after storm, there is going to be a huge tide dump out. Some areas might not be safe due to currents of dumping tide. The water is going to move out and it will bring bait out of the marshes and into shorelines near marshes.. Could be some really great fishing in those areas beginning 2 days AFTER the storm. If the area you are fishing get's 10-15 inches or rainfall at first the fish will move from the marsh ponds because of that drop in salinity, and once the flood waters start to push or displace saltwater you might have to move where you normally fish if you are fishing where those flood waters enter the bay. If it's an area just receiving surface run off from small ditches grass lands around the bay etc. that's not what I'm talking about and much of those areas will be fine.. maybe fish the edges of flats if the flats get 10-15 inches of rain (anything over 7 inches is my rule of thumb). So be willing to try to interpret where the fish are and how far the move.. might not be fall at all from a flat to the drop from that flat.. or if in Copano... Copano might get flushed and you might have to fish Trailer and estes instead.. those are just examples.. i would proably go the second day after the storm, but make similar adjustments.

If you are in a powerboat look out for floating debris and other crap in the water. If you wade or wade from a kayak look out for boards with nails on them and don't step on wood.