motorized vehicles not allowed off road at christmas bay?

elm_tx

motorized vehicles not allowed off road at christmas bay?

Post by elm_tx »

I went out to Christmas bay this morning, there are a couple of trails that have been blazed over the years between the kayak launch and Pompano Road. Those trails make the trip across the bay to Rattle Snake point and areas beyond much shorter than some of the other options. This morning I saw my favorite launch and another 4x4 trail near it had signs prohibiting motorized vehicles beyond that point, about 10' off of Blue Water Highway, posted by Texas Parks and Wildlife.

Does anyone know why it is now prohibited, I was out there a few weeks back and nothing was posted, I've been taking my truck back there for years as have many others. I did a google search and did not find anything.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: motorized vehicles not allowed off road at christmas bay?

Post by Yaklash »

I do not know, but if I had to guess, it would be either wetlands or bird rookery protection. TP&WD doesn't usually get involved in matters of private property and if it is private property, all they would have to do is put up no trespassing signs and/or fences/gates. So I would assume this is part of animal sanctuary or wetlands protection.

Bummer though. I am recently back into ownership of a viable 4WD and have been relishing the increased access that would afford me. Thanks for the heads up.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Probably something to do with the attention brought to the bay by the commercial oyster fleet recently.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

karstopo wrote:Probably something to do with the attention brought to the bay by the commercial oyster fleet recently.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Agreed! They messed up the bay bad without consideration of the local fishermen. Sad.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Good thing it's not too far from that last cut off 361 where the tower is. But it will cut out some walk in wading to that area. More free access spots are becoming toast.. maybe there should be parking permits that we can buy that dissallow commercial vehicles and atv's etc etc. . Sad.