Kayak guide

troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Kayak guide

Post by troutslinger »

What are the requirements to become a kayak guide? Do you have to go through the same courses as a powerboat guide?
lagavulin62

Re: Kayak guide

Post by lagavulin62 »

I will probably get banned for posting this but unless you really believe you can compete with the pros, why bother? So you have a few prospects from word of mouth who need some help. You both agree on a price and head out. Why does everything have to be so complicated? Are you going to quit your day job? Probably not. I'm sure we will get the liability posts. But if these same people asked you to teach them to swim at their apt pool, do you have to get licensed? Where is all the freedom we Americans speak of?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

WestEndTroutAssassin wrote:What are the requirements to become a kayak guide? Do you have to go through the same courses as a powerboat guide?
Interesting question, WestEnd. I doubt there are any requirements for a kayak guide, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something :oops: Call Dean at Slowride and ask. From what little I know from having met him a few times, I bet he would "educate" you.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

lagavulin62 wrote:I will probably get banned for posting this but unless you really believe you can compete with the pros, why bother? So you have a few prospects from word of mouth who need some help. You both agree on a price and head out. Why does everything have to be so complicated? Are you going to quit your day job? Probably not. I'm sure we will get the liability posts. But if these same people asked you to teach them to swim at their apt pool, do you have to get licensed? Where is all the freedom we Americans speak of?
No offense, but almost every "pro" I have ever fished with (most being very good guides), did something else for a living before they guided and for a few years while they built their client list. No small number of firefighters and LEOs, but everything else from construction workers to one that was a beer brewery employee.

Can't think of a single one who just started guiding right off the bat, unless they were a trust fund baby who never really had to work (one of those I can think of and even he did something else for a while).
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by troutslinger »

Thanks yaklash
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

Yaklash wrote:
lagavulin62 wrote:I will probably get banned for posting this but unless you really believe you can compete with the pros, why bother? So you have a few prospects from word of mouth who need some help. You both agree on a price and head out. Why does everything have to be so complicated? Are you going to quit your day job? Probably not. I'm sure we will get the liability posts. But if these same people asked you to teach them to swim at their apt pool, do you have to get licensed? Where is all the freedom we Americans speak of?
No offense, but almost every "pro" I have ever fished with (most being very good guides), did something else for a living before they guided and for a few years while they built their client list. No small number of firefighters and LEOs, but everything else from construction workers to one that was a beer brewery employee.

Can't think of a single one who just started guiding right off the bat, unless they were a trust fund baby who never really had to work (one of those I can think of and even he did something else for a while).

Oh none taken and I would think that would be great news for the OP or anyone to get into something with minimal initial expense. Actually doing it part time sounds much better than going all out with the headaches of a full time business. Just not sure how well one could do not being on the water on a daily basis. Might be too hit and miss? Then again what is there to lose giving it a shot?
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

Basics are simple in Texas.

For NON interstate waters,
a Freshwater guide just needs to buy a guide licence from TPW $125 per year plus a TPW paddlesport license $210 per year.

If you guide in lakes that border two states ( Texoma , Toledo bend ) , you will need the saltwater Coast guard license to be legal.

Saltwater, the Coast guard gets involved and certification can be a simple ( but not cheap ) CG six pack or a specialized AKA certification. Neither will come cheap or easy.

Many of the early inland Kayak Guides have devolved into Kayak fishing instructors. No matter what you call yourself, if you make a dime of income in a paddled craft you need the TPW paddle sport license.

Many "guides" do not now charge a fee, but do accept "gifts" or tips.

It is getting to be a really crowded marketplace with very few true fishing guide quality folks hanging in. Mostly young wannabes with a business card and website. If you take look at the very old posts you will see some that have been posting for a couple of decades and they set the standards for what a true guide looks like. ( like Dean at Slowride ).

If you jump in, best of luck and do not overlook your standard business liability insurances. They may be the most important piece of the puzzle.
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by troutslinger »

lagavulin62 wrote:
Yaklash wrote:

Oh none taken and I would think that would be great news for the OP or anyone to get into something with minimal initial expense. Actually doing it part time sounds much better than going all out with the headaches of a full time business. Just not sure how well one could do not being on the water on a daily basis. Might be too hit and miss? Then again what is there to lose giving it a shot?
I'm not worried about the cost. Just needing to know what's involved in getting a license. Just looking to do part time. I've fished for almost 50 years and have many a places that produce fish from Matagorda to Galveston. I'm not doing this to make a living. I enjoy fishing and have put many a people on fish with some their personal best catch. People who know me know. So you ask if I can hang with the pros, maybe maybe not but I do pretty good if you ask me.
SteeleKnight

Post by SteeleKnight »

Just go down to your local TPW office and find out. Let me know what u decide to do. Either way, I'll probably end up being one of your clients.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

SteeleKnight wrote:Just go down to your local TPW office and find out. Let me know what u decide to do. Either way, I'll probably end up being one of your clients.
I would probably fall in line behind him, if for no other reason, just to meet you, WestEnd.
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by troutslinger »

We can meet up anytime guys and fish. Like to meet you guys too.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I retired for the third time at age 63. It took three tries to realize that you just can't quit working without having to exchange work for another passion. As a very passionate kayaker and fisherman, it was rather easy to slip into the life of a full time kayak fishing guide.

During the past 15 years I have taught many folks to kayak properly and safely. I have also passed on what I learned from Slowride and his fishing school to many a new fisherman and fisherwomen. Guiding and teaching is a rewarding way to share with others the dynamic experience of kayak fishing.

I've never accepted or expected pay for my services. The smile on the face of someone catching their first redfish or spec is payment aplenty. If your purpose for considering kayak guiding is to make a living, I suggest that you first look into employment at McDonalds.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

lagavulin62 wrote:Where is all the freedom we Americans speak of?
Exchanged for for security long ago
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Kenny's a good guy. Wish you all the success and many trips for sure buddy.
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by troutslinger »

Thanks Tobin!! Funny how you ask for info on what you need and some people gotta throw in a bunch bull.
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

lagavulin62 wrote:...unless you really believe you can compete with the pros, why bother?...

One comment I had while reading this: perhaps I am not the best at picking fishing guides but I am more likely to be skunked when fishing with a guide than I am with a TKF member chosen at random! I think the major advantage of a guide is if you are new to a fishery a guide will show you the ropes and shorten your learning curve tremendously. You'll be able to use the guides gear, go to the guides spots, hear the guide explain what he's looking for etc. I think an experienced fisherman can do this, it's not rocket science so don't be discouraged.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

WestEndTroutAssassin wrote:What are the requirements to become a kayak guide?
1) patience
2) know how to fix boo-boos.
3) a YUUUGE supply of cold beverages and snack items.
4) extra patience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by troutslinger »

Cuervo Jones wrote:
WestEndTroutAssassin wrote:What are the requirements to become a kayak guide?
1) patience
2) know how to fix boo-boos.
3) a YUUUGE supply of cold beverages and snack items.
4) extra patience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol!! Sounds about right!!