Two quick rod reviews

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Two quick rod reviews

Post by Drifting Yak »

I've been going thru rods over the past few years and have settled on two in particular that I really like. One is for spinning reels and the other is for casting reels. I mainly fish out of a kayak (PA-14) although I do fish out of boats occasionally and mainly fish inshore bays (East & West Bays) targeting specs, reds and flounder. I also surf fish from time to time down in Port A.

Spinning:
Academy has recently starting carry a newer version of an older model - the All Star ASIS804 Trout/Red Fish Wade Special.
Specifications : 6' 8" - Medium Light Power - Moderate Fast Action, 8 - 15 lb. Line, 1/8 - 1/2 oz. Lure. It has a short butt with a split grip that I find very user friendly while on the yak. Runs around $99. It's paired with a Penn Fierce 2000 series reel that I got on sale for about $20. Have landed a ton of specs with this light weight combo and have also managed 27 inch reds without any issues. I like this rod! (If you decide to look into this rod keep in mind that Academy has two versions. One has a solid cork handle that's a little too long for a kayak IMHO. The other one has a split handle which I think is perfect for yak fishing. Also I've only seen the split handle version in stores - not online for some reason)
ASIS804 Trout Red Fish Wade Special.JPG
ASIS804 Rod.JPG
Casting:
Lew's makes some really quality gear, at affordable prices and I have to say that this is my favorite rod - Lew's Custom Speed Stick Series "Inshore" model number LI-MC69.
Specifications : 6' 9" Medium Power - Fast Action, 8 - 15 lb. Line, 1/16 - 3/4 oz. Lure. Lew's advertises them for $139 but I've found them online for $100 with free shipping. https://www.lews.com/rods-custom.php
The rod is paired with a Lew's American Hero Laser AH1H that runs $59. This is one of Lew's least expensive reels but it does the job nicely and, although I take good care of my gear, this reel has held up well in the salt water environment. The rod has a short, split grip handle and is very light overall. It is well suited for tossing light 1/16 oz lures accurately and can equally handle heavier lures like top waters. The rod also has a good backbone for fighting upper slot reds. This is my go to rod....

I've spent a ton of time on the water over the past two years and have been searching for combinations that fit my style of fishing - that is to strike a balance between comfort, function and cost. These meet the criteria.

Tight Lines Everyone!
Last edited by Drifting Yak on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lagavulin62

Re: Two quick rod reviews

Post by lagavulin62 »

Nice reviews, although I'm more of a 24.95 Berkely kind of guy.

What do you think of Academy's new display for rods? Many of the rods are now displayed higher than in the past and I don't see as many lower end rods in the 19.95 -50 dollar range. The last few rod purchases I had to do online through Bass Pro.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

X2 on the Lews for sure.. I've been really impressed. I'm fishing with some their higher end rods like the Custom Lite Speed Stick.. 85 million modulus 6'8, Med light with fast tip.. it's the Topwater Jerkbait rod in that line up. only one in that line up that's really applicable to our inshore needs but for $140 bucks I'd put it against a lot of $400 sticks.
JMS

Post by JMS »

Always like to see reviews of equipment thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk