Wilderness Radar Comments and Howdy Story

Kwikdraw

Wilderness Radar Comments and Howdy Story

Post by Kwikdraw »

Didn't want to hijack the other thread about Radar pedals so started this as a new topic. In short the peddle system works great.

I have a Radar 135, bought it in May this year. I'm new to Kayaking but not new to fishing. I wish I had discovered this Yak stuff long ago. Would have saved me a ton of $ buying boats and keeping them going, not to mention registration, trailer etc.

My fishin buddy from this board who is also my neighbor got me interested. The first time I tried I got about 10' before falling out. Then I went about 20' more before falling out again. Then on the 3rd try I made it about 100 yds. This was all in a Pescador 12', very light and round bottom. So after finally being able to balance, paddle and breath at the same time without rolling over (even made it out to the ICW and back) I decided I needed to learn how to do that and fish too. (By the way, the Aquatic Center in AP has now been christened the "swimming hole")

Week or so later we went to Roy's demo and tried several different kayaks, those with pedals and those without. The first thing I noticed was the incredible stability in those "fishin" style yaks.

So it was time. Shopped around, looking both at new and used kayaks and ended up buying a brand spanking new Radar 135 with peddles. My thinking on this was that I could probably go further and get to more places with the peddles instead of paddling and getting stiff, and being 13'-6" was very stable and my new term "fast". I fished about 3 days a week steadily. Always caught fish. Most of them were dinks, but I was actually catchin fish in about 6" of water and didn't get stuck. The only issue was when I would always find myself in water too shallow to peddle so I ended up paddling anyway with the peddles in the "up" position. With practice I got to where I could paddle along with my bud in his Pescador and keep up, he couldn't keep up with me if I was peddling ! Not sure if I can mention names here so will just say that we are both old and he is a LOT older. (Just f***** with you TJ)

While trying out my new Radar the only thing I could complain about was loading and unloading from my truck. This was easy (relatively speaking) with the 2 of us, but was a pain in my A** while loading it myself. These kayak things seem to gain weight while out on the water ! Also I always had to have the Bed Extender installed first. Started feeling like having a boat with trailer and all the PIA stuff that goes along with it.
Well another buddy bought a new Ocean 11.5. It fit in his truck bed without the extender, Just strap it down and go. I liked that !

So I got to thinking I would rather have a shorter kayak, so I could deal with it easier, especially when by myself. I now own 2 kayaks, my Radar 135 and a Feelfree Lure 11.5. The lure is not near as fast as the Radar but it is much easier for me to deal with and for now it gets me to the places I want to fish. So the moral of this story is. The Wilderness Radar 135 peddle system is great and the Radar paddles well also. I haven't fallen out yet !!

I will soon be posting the sale or trade of my Radar 135 with peddles. I would probably trade close to straight up for a Radar 115, but probably sell it outright and look for another "short" Yak. No reason I can't have 2 right.

On closing, I must say this board along with my experienced fishing buddy has been a very helpful source of information and I appreciate it that so many folks have contributed to the knowledge of a great way to fish!!
See ya round the boards and the fishin spots!

KD