Where the heck to fish this time of year!!!!

Captain seagull

Where the heck to fish this time of year!!!!

Post by Captain seagull »

So, I'm thinking about heading out to west bay this weekend to do some well needing fishing and I'm trying to figure out where to fish. A few of my ideas are Highlands Bayou and the adjacent marsh, Chocolate Bayou near 2004 or the old favorite Sportsman Rd.

So my question is where should I be focusing my efforts this time of year???? Should I be focusing in marsh the around drains and other bottlenecks or should be drifting the reefs????? I dont need the lats and longs of your secert honey holes just some information to get pointed in the right direction would be nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Crusader

Re: Where the heck to fish this time of year!!!!

Post by Crusader »

I suggest fishing closer to deeper water. Last Sunday I fished marshes -- water temp was 95F, only some shad and gar in these back lakes right now. All fish I caught were in some sort of channel real close to ICW.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Early morning target the grass and shell near shore. Match the hatch and throw weedless or tops to the edge and reel back. After about 9 am to 11 am the water is warming and the fish will finding deeper water to ambush bait. Find deep drains and cuts with a current and fish bottom with soft plastics or popping cork with live shrimp. Late afternoon definitely fish deeper if the sun is high in the sky and cooking the water surface. Find shaded areas of structure to fish or fish channels or drop offs at all depths.
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

If you're targeting reds, just run skinny water after it really heats up. I've been catching limits of reds in less than 1' of water mostly after about 12-2pm. Some like it HOT.

Here's my haul from yesterday.

The trout was early morning, the reds and sheepshead were caught between 12:30 and 1:30pm. The mangrove snapper was caught in deep water on my way out.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Yes, I would stick with reds shallow somewhere. F the trout right now... LOL.. The midrange trout are deeper and starting to move a little. For reds.. the heat doesn't matter. Not all marsh ponds are created eqaual. You will find some empty and some covered up. Most of the ones covered up right now will be mid to upper bay marsh.. not marsh that is right by the gulf cuts. I prefer shallow secondary bay oyster where the reds are going to be bigger. There will be more fish in the marsh, but a lot of those are going to be smaller.. not always.. but a lot of the time.

This is covered pretty solidly by Capt Steve Soule in both redfish dvds.
leftyfisherman72

Post by leftyfisherman72 »

Thanks Troutsupport for the solid information. And LOL F the trout right now. Hahaha I appreciate the humor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
mmwaggie

Post by mmwaggie »

Time to watch those red DVDs again. Or rather stream them while at work :twisted:

I caught reds and an alligator gar sunday in a back lake. The reds were up on the shoreline with some sheepshead as well. The gar was about 200 yards off the shore in about 4 ft of water.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Good weekend for that.

You're welcome guys.