Highlands Bayou

themadhunter

Highlands Bayou

Post by themadhunter »

Anyone know anything about this area? Can I park at this place marked in the picture or do I have to park on the side of the road? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lahai1dj

Re: Highlands Bayou

Post by lahai1dj »

I have never launched from that place but I have driven past it and have seen people parked there to fish or catch bait. One caveat, it may be too shallow there to reliably paddle in or out. A buddy of mine used to live in Bayou Vista and I recall a crawfish boil during low tide where that part of the mash was completely exposed. It would've been a miserable wade through mud to get back to the launch site.
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

I should also say...

Nearby there are two great places to launch. Louis bait camp to the north and the public access boat launch next to Fat Boys to the south.
themadhunter

Post by themadhunter »

lahai1dj wrote:I should also say...

Nearby there are two great places to launch. Louis bait camp to the north and the public access boat launch next to Fat Boys to the south.
Yea I launch out of Louis bait camp a lot, but was trying to avoid that paddle if the location I mentioned was good. I'll probably just do that though. Thanks for the insight

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

lahai1dj wrote:I have never launched from that place but I have driven past it and have seen people parked there to fish or catch bait. One caveat, it may be too shallow there to reliably paddle in or out....
I agree with all of that, but if you really want to fish this area, I think you are better off going another 1/4 mile down the feeder to a bridge where a major channel (with respect to that shallow marsh) passes under I-45. A bunch of water feeds through there, in and out, and it extends all the way to the RR tracks and under them. I have never fished any part of it, but I have fished where it comes out from under the tracks into the upper end of Jones Bay and there are always flounder at the places where that marsh drains under the tracks; that's a half mile paddle or so to those tracks in that channel. The channel itself might be very good for reds and flounder. Even if the marsh is low, that channel probably still holds enough water to paddle. And if fish get out of a shallow marsh when the tide is low, they go to deeper water. May be a load of fish there at certain times.
themadhunter

Post by themadhunter »

Yaklash wrote:
lahai1dj wrote:I have never launched from that place but I have driven past it and have seen people parked there to fish or catch bait. One caveat, it may be too shallow there to reliably paddle in or out....
I agree with all of that, but if you really want to fish this area, I think you are better off going another 1/4 mile down the feeder to a bridge where a major channel (with respect to that shallow marsh) passes under I-45. A bunch of water feeds through there, in and out, and it extends all the way to the RR tracks and under them. I have never fished any part of it, but I have fished where it comes out from under the tracks into the upper end of Jones Bay and there are always flounder at the places where that marsh drains under the tracks; that's a half mile paddle or so to those tracks in that channel. The channel itself might be very good for reds and flounder. Even if the marsh is low, that channel probably still holds enough water to paddle. And if fish get out of a shallow marsh when the tide is low, they go to deeper water. May be a load of fish there at certain times.
Yea that's Louis Bait camp. Launch, hang a left, paddle till you get to the tracks. Right st the bridge you can hang another left (you're now between the last row of houses that runs parallel to the rr tracks) go about 300 yards and there is a wash out on the bank. You can pull your yak up the bank, go up the hill, take a right and there is a small "pond" down on the left. I usually go throw my cast net there for live bait. Just be careful for rattlesnakes!

lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

Yaklash wrote:
Good insights, I might have to check it out!