Re: SanLuis Pass CLOSED

Post by Papa33 »

CaptJack wrote:SanLuis Pass CLOSED
About time!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

Is that just the Brazoria side? So you can still wade the Galveston side?

I guess since the nanny state is so concerned of our well being they should go ahead and ban swimming and wade fishing all together. And lets don't forget drownings in bathtubs. Ban all bathtubs. Its showers only.

I sure hope I'm dead in another 20 years. This world is getting stupid.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I have very mixed emotions about this. No offense, but you can not legislate common sense. On that side of the pass you don't even need to get into the water to get your line out to fishy water.

And does this include launching a kayak?
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

yep, and you know is running the the state? oh wait . the feel good right. :lol:
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

I totally get the concern for safety in SLP, but closing it entirely doesn't fix recklessness. The less than cautious persons will just go act a fool somewhere else. I began fishing that area of the pass in 1986 when there eas nothing but remnants of the old KOA camp there, and always respected the currents there. I personally have never had a problem or near miss there. Then again, I never waded out chin deep in it to fish either. What is the park to do now if it is affected by this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Of course, they jumped on opportunity to deny another area to anglers. Fags...
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Crusader wrote:Of course, they jumped on opportunity to deny another area to anglers. Fags...
"Fags"? Really, what are you, 12?

Back to the topic, I agree that closing it entirely feels a bit overreaching, but it seems there is at least one drowning a year at the pass, if not one drowning per summer holiday. About 15 years ago a friend of mine was almost one of the statistics when the incoming tide rose about a foot in a very short span. He lost all of his gear and tackle but was lucky it wasn't worse.

I think there are caution signs up already so what is the better solution? It is easy to sit back and say let nature take its course, but it really is an atypically dangerous area.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If people cannot or will not use common sense when trying to fish around the most dangerous pass in Texas then the government has to step in and think for them. It's the idiots that have caused this. Blame them.
It's like drinking a hot cup of coffee from McDonalds and spilling it on yourself becasue you are too stupid to be drinking it. They had to put a WARNING on the cup for the idiots. Here they banned the idiots becasue they don't read or listen.
Good for them.
I can take my kayak and fish that entire area with ease!!! LOL

If the area includes the point where most bank fisherman fish there next to the boat ramp there will be some really mad fishermen. That concrete area was made for them to fish it.
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

There are many signs up in all kind of languages but they are not read.
We was there last Monday when two bodies were pulled from the water. We sat in a road block getting out of the county park waiting for Life Flight to pick up a third that jumped in to try and save one of them....he lived. Fire dept. guy blocking traffic said that there have been 9 people killed at the pass this year.

I have seen a sand bar disappear from under my boat and the depth gauge go from to shallow to read 8 feet deep when I was anchored to the sandbar trying to fish a channel not far from my kayak. Because I was in shallow water my anchor line was not out to far but it quickly went straight down as the sand was pulled away.

" but you can not legislate common sense " Very true.

When the tide is changing the currents can get very strong and as that current meets flow moving in the opposite direction it looks like the inside of a washing machine on wash cycle. It can go from calm to violent very fast. The waves come from all directions and will toss a small boat around like a cork and for the un-skilled could end badly. And a swimmer has no chance, even strong swimmers have drowned at the pass. Respect it are die and for some they can't make that choice.

" but you can not legislate common sense " Very true.
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

There are plenty of trajedies to support any legislation they want passed. Drownings in the pass are not new. Does anyone really believe this will end all SLP drownings? Give it time and the fences will follow. Then they can proceed with "development" once all public access has been taken. Afterall, why not make use of such natural resources?

A little advice when it comes to anything legislated as a "public safety
issue". Learn to leave "but" out of your thought process. But, but, but..... they get the public on their side without even a fight, just win the "but" point of the argument and legislate away. We all know the power of "but" paired with Gun Control.

And for the do gooder overly concerned with "fag", now is not the time. Why is that comment even an issue? Good grief!
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

The ban is for entering the water, not fishing. I've never figured out wht so many people talk the good game about common sense but then you find them wade fishing or kayaking and even traveling in a boat, without a PFD on. Safety is the issue and let's face it 90% of those out there don't do safety. I fish with 2 guys who don't believe in PFD's. I keep after them, but to no avail. Always remember the adage.... It's Never going to happen to me.... Never say never.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

For the record the two guys that drowned Monday weren't fishing they were swimming.

tex_1958

Post by tex_1958 »

what they should of done was advise people to ware a life jacket...
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

bigbuzzard wrote:The ban is for entering the water, not fishing. I've never figured out wht so many people talk the good game about common sense but then you find them wade fishing or kayaking and even traveling in a boat, without a PFD on. Safety is the issue and let's face it 90% of those out there don't do safety. I fish with 2 guys who don't believe in PFD's. I keep after them, but to no avail. Always remember the adage.... It's Never going to happen to me.... Never say never.

Read it again. It is for fishing as well...
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

bigbuzzard wrote:...I've never figured out wht so many people talk the good game about common sense but then you find them wade fishing or kayaking and even traveling in a boat, without a PFD on. Safety is the issue and let's face it 90% of those out there don't do safety. I fish with 2 guys who don't believe in PFD's. I keep after them, but to no avail. Always remember the adage.... It's Never going to happen to me.... Never say never.
On one hand, I agree. I have recently started wearing my PFD while underway in power boats. I have, for over 15 years, used a PFD whenever paddling my kayak. But outside of places like SLP, Rollover or Pass Cavallo, or maybe if you want to swim out to and wade the third bar of the surf, there is no reason, at least not for me, to wear a PFD while wade fishing 95% of the places I wade fish.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

kickingback wrote:
bigbuzzard wrote:The ban is for entering the water, not fishing. I've never figured out wht so many people talk the good game about common sense but then you find them wade fishing or kayaking and even traveling in a boat, without a PFD on. Safety is the issue and let's face it 90% of those out there don't do safety. I fish with 2 guys who don't believe in PFD's. I keep after them, but to no avail. Always remember the adage.... It's Never going to happen to me.... Never say never.

Read it again. It is for fishing as well...
It prohibits "entering the waters of the San Luis Pass for any activity, including bathing, fishing, and/or swimming..." so I would guess that dragging your kayak to the water on that shoreline and getting in it would be considered "entering," and thus breaking the law, but fishing from a boat that is put in at a different location from what is marked in red on that aerial would presumably be legal. Presumably because God only knows how and to what degree they intend to enforce this.

It is my suspicion that the county has been under pressure from media and a few loud residents who do not fish, and possibly have been facing lawsuits. Just my suspicion, I know nothing.
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

I agree with the whole idea of advising a pfd to be worn. But wearing a pfd is a requirement while kayaking. Having a 360 light is also required when fishing at night and I see people out all the time that don't follow these rules pretty much every time I'm at the causeway. Some people are just luckier than others when it comes to making a dumb decision and not paying the ultimate price.

Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

And even if it does include fishing.....are there not enough other places in or around the coast to catch fish? Is not being able to fish one area really that big of a deal?

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Papa33 wrote:And even if it does include fishing.....are there not enough other places in or around the coast to catch fish? Is not being able to fish one area really that big of a deal?
Yes, it is a big deal. I am of the opinion, and not alone in this opinion, that SLP is the best, most versatile, overall fishing spot on the Texas Coast. It just so happens to be the most dangerous too and for that reason, I approach it with extreme caution. But they don't stop people from rock climbing or sky diving, or hiking in bear country, despite the inherent dangers. And should they shut down Baffin Bay because the rocks can take out your lower unit and send you flying over the bow? The term Nanny State used above truly does apply here.

FWIW, that west side of the pass is easy to fish from the shore; nothing to be gained by wading out 15 yards. And that is not even the best side to fish, so, yeah, I'll just keep going to Galveston side anyway. And another FWIW, most of the drownings over the years have been from the Galveston side and over the last 3-4 years, the guts on the Galveston "backside" of SLP are deeper and wider than I ever remember them in over 40 years of fishing that pass; so expect more drownings over there.

I am still baffled by the number of people that disregard the warning signs every day, but especially the weekends. Would guess alcohol plays some part. The absolute worst part is parents who take their kids there...SMH
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Papa33 wrote:But wearing a pfd is a requirement while kayaking.
No, it is not. At least it isn't in the law. You may claim that "anyone with half brain realizes that" -- guess what, it is just your opinion and most kayakers I know don't wear them unless they fish dangerous or unknown waters.

We should make a timeline map that demonstrates how water access shrinks over years... You'll see how little of freedom is left in this land of the free and how it's remnants get steadily eroded. And every time it is for some very good reason, of course, like "safety of the public" -- wtf this term even means? If anything SLP was doing a public service -- weeding out the most stupid.
WoodsWaterSky

Re: RE: Re: SanLuis Pass CLOSED

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Yaklash wrote:
Papa33 wrote:And even if it does include fishing.....are there not enough other places in or around the coast to catch fish? Is not being able to fish one area really that big of a deal?
Yes, it is a big deal. I am of the opinion, and not alone in this opinion, that SLP is the best, most versatile, overall fishing spot on the Texas Coast. It just so happens to be the most dangerous too and for that reason, I approach it with extreme caution. But they don't stop people from rock climbing or sky diving, or hiking in bear country, despite the inherent dangers. And should they shut down Baffin Bay because the rocks can take out your lower unit and send you flying over the bow? The term Nanny State used above truly does apply here.

FWIW, that west side of the pass is easy to fish from the shore; nothing to be gained by wading out 15 yards. And that is not even the best side to fish, so, yeah, I'll just keep going to Galveston side anyway. And another FWIW, most of the drownings over the years have been from the Galveston side and over the last 3-4 years, the guts on the Galveston "backside" of SLP are deeper and wider than I ever remember them in over 40 years of fishing that pass; so expect more drownings over there.

I am still baffled by the number of people that disregard the warning signs every day, but especially the weekends. Would guess alcohol plays some part. The absolute worst part is parents who take their kids there...SMH
You nailed it Yacklash...
And I agree that SLP is the best, most versatile, overall fishing spot on the Texas Coast.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

Crusader wrote:
Papa33 wrote:But wearing a pfd is a requirement while kayaking.
No, it is not. At least it isn't in the law. You may claim that "anyone with half brain realizes that" -- guess what, it is just your opinion and most kayakers I know don't wear them unless they fish dangerous or unknown waters.

We should make a timeline map that demonstrates how water access shrinks over years... You'll see how little of freedom is left in this land of the free and how it's remnants get steadily eroded. And every time it is for some very good reason, of course, like "safety of the public" -- wtf this term even means? If anything SLP was doing a public service -- weeding out the most stupid.
while I will agree there are stupid people that lose their lives, accidents do happen to others that are aware and using caution. personally, all the kayakers I fish with ,myself included wear a pfd. river, lake, marsh, bay and offshore. it is just smart. I shake my head when I see a stupid (your word)kayaker that won't. these are the people the coast guard or game warden drag off the bottom. besides, when the crazy leader abolishes the epa and deregulates ,all the waters will be too polluted and oily to fish in. but what do I know.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

these are the people the coast guard or game warden drag off the bottom.
No, they drag off the bottom those who take more risk than they can handle.

crazy leader abolishes the epa and deregulates ,all the waters will be too polluted and oily to fish in
Aha... Now I see why how these laws get passed for "my own benefit". I am glad your kind knows what is best for me. Thank you!
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

tastywavescoolbuzz wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Papa33 wrote:........... when the crazy leader abolishes the epa and deregulates ,all the waters will be too polluted and oily to fish in. but what do I know.
Wish you'd keep your political opinions to yourself. This is the 3rd or 4th comment I've seen you make in different posts. This is not the place and not cool at all.

As far as them banning that area. It's a good idea in my opinion. Besides, like Kickingback said, you can access the entire pass from elsewhere on a kayak so, makes no difference to me.