Hook-N-Line maps

themadhunter

Hook-N-Line maps

Post by themadhunter »

Are these maps reliable as far as depth and where grass flats, oyster beds, etc are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Hook-N-Line maps

Post by kickingback »

Yes
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Reliable for Navigation, no, I believe the Hook-N-Line maps say just that on the map.
themadhunter

Post by themadhunter »

karstopo wrote:Reliable for Navigation, no, I believe the Hook-N-Line maps say just that on the map.
Not looking for navigating, just areas to fish

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

As a planning resource, they are worth the money, but only serve as part of a good trip planning regimen. They have general accuracy at the time they are published (so at SLP or Pass Cavallo, all bets are off in a year), with respect to where grass, mud and shell are. As far as depths, they are pretty spot on, as long as one can account for tidal and wind impact on water depths. I have found the GPS waypoints (on the latest issue I have) to be within 10-15 feet accurate (for finding the end of a reef for instance), but that margin of error could be accounted for by a shrinking or growing shell reef.

What I find to be most valuable on these maps for general planning are the tables where they say which months are good or excellent for which species on all of the number spots they rate. As well as the listings of kayak and boat launch locations. Otherwise, beyond general planning, I get better focus for the current state of grass beds, mud or shell from Google Earth images.
themadhunter

Post by themadhunter »

Yaklash wrote:As a planning resource, they are worth the money, but only serve as part of a good trip planning regimen. They have general accuracy at the time they are published (so at SLP or Pass Cavallo, all bets are off in a year), with respect to where grass, mud and shell are. As far as depths, they are pretty spot on, as long as one can account for tidal and wind impact on water depths. I have found the GPS waypoints (on the latest issue I have) to be within 10-15 feet accurate (for finding the end of a reef for instance), but that margin of error could be accounted for by a shrinking or growing shell reef.

What I find to be most valuable on these maps for general planning are the tables where they say which months are good or excellent for which species on all of the number spots they rate. As well as the listings of kayak and boat launch locations. Otherwise, beyond general planning, I get better focus for the current state of grass beds, mud or shell from Google Earth images.
Great points. Thank you

jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Another benefit is that they have location names on them. When someone mentions Kate's hole, I can look on the map and know where they are taking about.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
themadhunter

Post by themadhunter »

jnd1959 wrote:Another benefit is that they have location names on them. When someone mentions Kate's hole, I can look on the map and know where they are taking about.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
I can't find the damn things now! I've tried 3 Academy's, Dicks, and even ACK and nobody had them

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

https://hooknline.net/t/hard-copy-folded-maps

They are also available on Amazon.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Don't know where you are, but in the Coastal Bend, H-E-B grocery stores have most of the local maps.

TexasJim
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

Up here, Spring and on up to Conroe, you will find them in most Academys.

Like as has been already mentioned, a great general "lay of the land" and when to target certain locations. I have not used mine in years, however I am looking for the Conroe map, particularly for depth readings.

Overall I think they are well worth the purchase and hopefully they have updated since I bought mine.
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

Worth the money to learn spots in a new area. Always buy from ACK as they sell them for about $10, whereas everywhere else is $17

krfish

Post by krfish »

I've always used them, especially if I begin fishing a new area, and want to learn some points of interest. Well worth the money imo.

TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by TKFStubb »

If you will get the ones with the TKF logo on them, you will find a LOT of extra information for kayakers. Several of us sat down with Joe TromBley, the owner, and gave away many secrets to help newer members get a head start.
WoodsWaterSky

Re: RE: Re: Hook-N-Line maps

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

TKFStubb wrote:If you will get the ones with the TKF logo on them, you will find a LOT of extra information for kayakers. Several of us sat down with Joe TromBley, the owner, and gave away many secrets to help newer members get a head start.
And that is much appreciated at any level of experience... Many thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
themadhunter

Hook-N-Line maps

Post by themadhunter »

TKFStubb wrote:If you will get the ones with the TKF logo on them, you will find a LOT of extra information for kayakers. Several of us sat down with Joe TromBley, the owner, and gave away many secrets to help newer members get a head start.
Does it have to specifically have the TKF logo or is it the kayak and wading map?
I got one at FTU the other day but don't remember if it has a logo or not.
If it's different how would one get a hold of the TKF specific map?