Tails upon tails

Salaqua

Tails upon tails

Post by Salaqua »

There is saying, "Play the hand dealt."

I should have taken the advice. I made a solo trip to Charlie's Bait Camp this past weekend. I made it to launch earlier than normal in the hopes to make it one of the cuts near Dewberry. My plan was search for trout. I made most of my preparation focus on that arrangement. It was one of those things which I lost the forest because of the tree. My mind was set, so let's allow this post to be a learning opportunity for keeping an open mind on the water.

I was at launch early enough to miss the crowd. As I approached the Lagoon, I knew what to expect. It was going to be shallow and grassy. I knew it was going to be a trek to get to the Lagoon side of Dewberry. It is not a long paddle, but the shallow water and grass make for an ineffective paddle. As I entered the Lagoon, mullet welcomed me. It was dark but the light from the headlamp showed their presence.

Just as twilight started to expose the water and shadows, I had made it to about half my journey to Dewberry. That is about when I saw some tails moving just nearby in front of me. I was not prepared, I had made my mind earlier to do something and not even tails were going to change my mind at that point. As I continued along the shoreline, mullet scattered and a few times I would feel the kayak vibrate and noise of thuds that I knew were reds being spooked as they left behind dark mud boils.

At this point, my mind shifted a bit. I thought, "I will fish for reds on the way to the cut." I could see more tails, see and hear reds crashing bait on the shoreline, and see the distinct V wake that reds make when they are spooked. I was using a Slayer Chicken Off the Chain rigged weedless. The presence of grass made this a wise choice. The grass was not as thick as last week, but it was still present. I cast into a cove along the shoreline and hooked into a mid slot red at 6:40 a.m. This is the earliest hook up I have had given I don't normally get to my spots til about 7 a.m. I thought, "Not bad given I am on my way to find trout."
IMG_20170722_064120.jpg
After this red, I still saw their presence in the many forms I noted above. That was about when I noticed a group of birds working a shallow cove. In the midst of these was a Roseate Spoonbill. He would thrash his bill into the mud and shake his head to find shrimp burrowed in the mud. I snapped a few pictures and moved on. I decided to put on a Bone colored Spook Jr. and caught a red 18".

And still, I headed on to the Dewberry cut. When I finally arrived to the cut, it was very windy. The water was mucked up. I probably spent 45 minutes wading about without a boat to be seen on a shoreline that is normally filled with waders. Without a bite, I grabbed a snack and figured I would now go for reds on my way back.

Guess what? The reds were gone. In the early morning on the way to that cut, it was as if the Fishing gods opened the floodgates and gave me every sign to make this a redfish morning. Signs upon signs. A letter from Zeus himself could have dropped from the clouds telling me to work for the reds but I would not have noticed.

My lesson was learned. Fish the fish dealt to you.

I fired up the pit Sunday. I filled the pit with sausage, steak, and a lone redfish knowing it should have been filled with reds alone.
IMG_20170723_163730.jpg
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Tails upon tails

Post by GoDoe »

There is an old saying about fishing. "Never leave fish to find fish"

Now you are in on the secret! Nice report.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

John, you beat me to that quote.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great report and pics! Made me hungry! We all want that "bigger" or "more", we are human. You had fun and that made memories. Well done.
Salaqua

Post by Salaqua »

GoDoe and Tombo, Yep, that is the moral, never leave fish to find fish. Or one dove in the hand is better than two in the bush. So many game related warnings and it would not get through my knoggin'.

kickingback, yes, it was a good time no doubt. In my first year of kayak fishing, I have seen things that will be very difficult to forget. Crawlers in a few inches of mud, tails just flopping around, reds taking a lure a few feet from the boat, etc. This species really is a sight to see and learn. I would not want it any other way.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Of the dozens of redfish I have caught in the shallows of The Lagoon, probably fewer than 5 were in the slot. I would guess that slots make it up in there, but I have only ever caught keepers at the breaks between there and the bay, and even more so, along the bay side grass shoreline of that barrier strip.

Sub-slot reds can be a lot of fun, but I probably would have moved on too.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Good job sal, we all learn something every day ... I say be committed but flexible.. many times, especially in the summer I've switched to redfish earlier than planned because that's what was there. Also, for kayakers, I love catching trout, but this heat is going to make it tougher to catch quality trout... so I tend to focus on reds between now and late October.
KingO'Dinks
Location: Motorized OK Trident/Manta Ray/Center console/Austin/Seadrift

Post by KingO'Dinks »

Yaklash wrote:Of the dozens of redfish I have caught in the shallows of The Lagoon, probably fewer than 5 were in the slot. I would guess that slots make it up in there, but I have only ever caught keepers at the breaks between there and the bay, and even more so, along the bay side grass shoreline of that barrier strip.

Sub-slot reds can be a lot of fun, but I probably would have moved on too.
Yaklash is right, only small reds in the Lagoon, Ya'll would be much better off to fish somewhere else :mrgreen:
Salaqua

Post by Salaqua »

Tobin, thanks for the info., I appreciate the help. Reds are my go to species. I ordered the TroutSupport lures a day late, they showed up at the house while I was on the water. Cannot wait to try them out. Also, thanks for offering the DVDs via streaming now.

For fishing the Lagoon, my catches have been predominantly keepers. Granted, I have only fished there around a half dozen times. I have not caught a limit yet but it has provided me a good place to fish especially if I am looking for close lakes near a launch or if I am only fishing for a short while. In my experience, I have seen a number of kayak anglers fishing this water but they often do not go far enough. Maybe you have caught fish before the first cut (the real shallow one), but I have not. For anybody outside the area, if you choose to launch from Charlie's, be careful of the ship canal.
krfish

Post by krfish »

Man I've been there. Especially if it's been a while since I'd last fished. I was in a similar situation last fall. I had a series of cuts I wanted to fish on an outgoing tide. I left the ramp early, and about 300 yards into my paddle a single shrimp jumped from the water on a grassy point. Normally I would've paddled on, but I stayed to check for more activity. Shortly after I saw the wakes you spoke of, and caught my limit of slot reds, released four more, and picked up a flounder. From that day forward I've tried to be more flexible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk