Where are the trout?

JRB-USMC

Where are the trout?

Post by JRB-USMC »

I don't want to know anyones super secret squirrel spots, just curious about how deep in the water column and the type of water (grass, sand, reef, etc.) that you are catching trout right now. I haven't been out in a while so I would like to know a ballpark of the areas I need to start with. From there, my ol' trusty troutsupport knowledge will kick in and take over. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
For reference I will either be in Matagorda or Corpus somewhere.
mmwaggie

Re: Where are the trout?

Post by mmwaggie »

The trout are in the water....I've been catching them in many different areas lately. Over shell, shell/mud mix, mud. I don't fish heavy grass areas so I can't comment on that. I found a school this last weekend in about 4 foot of water over shell/mud mix.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Same dog bit me, it's been 2 months since I got on the water. I personally would have these strategies...

1 - If the surf was calm and sandy green or better water, I'd wade into the surf at about 5:30 am with a Topwater, a big gold spoon, a Mirrodine and a Hunchback.

2 - If the beachfront was no good, I'd go to a spot with shell at the drop-off from 4 to 6 feet

3 - If the tides are still coming in overnight, I'd expect to find trout over grass on flats early

4 - Night fishing the lights. Mostly dinks but almost guaranteed trout

5 - Any good trout bite later in the day is most likely going to be in water deeper than 4 feet and most likely over some kind of structure. A lot of people this time of year go straight to deep shell and fish till they're ready to go home, a good number of them croaker soaking.
JRB-USMC

Post by JRB-USMC »

Sounds like I can't go wrong... Hopefully I found them tomorrow!
mmwaggie

Post by mmwaggie »

You really can't unless you are in the back of the marsh looking for a big girl :lol:
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

The mid range fish, 17 -24 are all going deeper right now. Deep reefs, ICW, channels, etc. etc. Predawn and early you might find them on edges of grass, rocks, reefs that are near deep water. Areas with better current are going to produce better fish.

There actually were quite a few really good marsh donkey trout caught this spring .. it's lower odds but don't underestimate it. Now that the wind has finally let up a little the trout we were finding in the marsh are going to mostly make their way out of their. It's an oxygenation thing.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Well did you find 'em yesterday Mr. JRB-USMC?
JRB-USMC

Post by JRB-USMC »

I did not. I went with another guy who mainly sight casts reds instead. It was pretty cool watching him fish and I learned a few things so it all worked out in the end. We will see if I can find them this Friday instead.

Did anyone else find them?
jfraymond

Post by jfraymond »

TroutSupport.com wrote:The mid range fish, 17 -24 are all going deeper right now. Deep reefs, ICW, channels, etc. etc. Predawn and early you might find them on edges of grass, rocks, reefs that are near deep water. Areas with better current are going to produce better fish.
would explain the uptick in trout catching these last few months.....I been limiting out in about 20-30min just off my dock on the ICW when getting back from offshore fishing lately and the current is ripping pretty good