New All Around Kayak?

Post by FwistedTucker »

New product at iCAST, looks like an amazing all around

https://youtu.be/8QTvpFHFQ7Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tombo

Re: New All Around Kayak?

Post by Tombo »

The proof is in the pudding so to speak. I won't comment on this craft until I can "test" it with a full day fishing.
Things I like are the higher position seat. Not important to lots of folks but it makes it easier for me to stand up and stretch my old bones.
Problem is I am looking to buy now.
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

Your ? mark in title is appropriate. It looks very heavy. Too many gadgets that will break down. True kayakers don't need half that. Just waaay too busy for me. That would never leave my garage and when it did I'd have to get up an hour earlier than my 3:00 am wakeup. Yikes!
mmwaggie

Post by mmwaggie »

lagavulin62 wrote:True kayakers don't need half that.
Sweeping generalizations like that are great...I think the kayak looks great but yes, it looks heavy. I guess we will wait to see final numbers on weight. More importantly, I am waiting for on the water reviews of production runs. It looks like it has potential.
Salaqua

Post by Salaqua »

In general, I say let's have an open mind and let the product speak for itself. This will be an exception to my rule. Keep in mind this is the first series of kayaks from Bonafide. The market for saltwater fishing is perhaps smaller than freshwater and this kayak looks to me to be made for the freshwater. Two things pop out as examples. First, the under seat sliding junk drawer with rod staging. In the brackish water fishing where poling and sludging through mud is common and wade fishing eve more so, that underseat tray would collect all kinds of saltwater and mud. I can see it being a nice value for freshwater though. Second, the seat only comes in high and higher. Living on the coast, the wind is perhaps our greatest challenge to fishing. Having an only high seat may not be as practical as it would be on some lake in the middle of Indiana.

YakAttack is a very innovative company and Bonefide, though not making a kayak to fit my needs now, may develop a more saltwater friendly kayak in the future. I do think there is a market for such a kayak. For my saltwater needs, my ATAK 140 is doing pretty well.
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

mmwaggie wrote:
Sweeping generalizations like that are great...I think the kayak looks great but yes, it looks heavy. I guess we will wait to see final numbers on weight. More importantly, I am waiting for on the water reviews of production runs. It looks like it has potential.
Haha, yes. "True kayakers" on here also use pedal drive systems, so idk what that generalization means either. Nothing wrong with extra features, nor is there anything wrong with innovation and another kayak manufacturer.

Whether you like this kayak or not, it means two things.
1. Innovation drives the kayak industry further.
2. More competition in the kayak market helps all of us, "true kayakers" or not, in terms of product offerings and MSRP. Think about RTIC vs YETI.

vincegarcia11

Post by vincegarcia11 »

FwistedTucker wrote:
mmwaggie wrote:
Haha, yes. "True kayakers" on here also use pedal drive systems, so idk what that generalization means either. Nothing wrong with extra features, nor is there anything wrong with innovation and another kayak manufacturer.

Whether you like this kayak or not, it means two things.
1. Innovation drives the kayak industry further.
2. More competition in the kayak market helps all of us, "true kayakers" or not, in terms of product offerings and MSRP. Think about RTIC vs YETI.

Haha someone hit a soft spot. Don't think he ever said anything against pedal kayaks... the comparison between Rtic and yeti is quite amusing though. When rtic first came out they were automatically labeled as a yeti copier BUT the prices were a lot cheaper. Now you look at a yeti 65 and rtic 65 and they are the same price... lots of great new innovations in this yak but I think he was just trying to say more along the lines of the "simple" kayaker not as much the "true" kayaker. I would love a nice pedal kayak but the weight and price are big things for me. "Simple" kayaker don't want to have to have a trailer and a cart for their yak just to put it in the water and have 100lbs of gear not being used... just different strokes for different folks. Y'all be nice lol

texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Nice looking yak. A good bit to "busy" of an interior for me but seems well thought out.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

BOAT :mrgreen:
RunninKurt

Post by RunninKurt »

vincegarcia11 wrote:the comparison between Rtic and yeti is quite amusing though. When rtic first came out they were automatically labeled as a yeti copier BUT the prices were a lot cheaper. Now you look at a yeti 65 and rtic 65 and they are the same price...
Not to throw the thread off track, but an Rtic 65 is $160 cheaper than a Yeti 65.
krfish

Post by krfish »

RunninKurt wrote:
vincegarcia11 wrote:the comparison between Rtic and yeti is quite amusing though. When rtic first came out they were automatically labeled as a yeti copier BUT the prices were a lot cheaper. Now you look at a yeti 65 and rtic 65 and they are the same price...
Not to throw the thread off track, but an Rtic 65 is $160 cheaper than a Yeti 65.
Holds all the ice at half the price!

krfish

Post by krfish »

I will say it looks busy, but I'm really surprised at the price point. Not as bad as I thought it'd be. The only thing I didn't like was the drawer under the seat. Mine would be full of mud by the end of the day.