Hollow body frogs

Salaqua

Hollow body frogs

Post by Salaqua »

This past weekend, I was fishing a back lake. The low tide pulled the water out by a foot and only left about a foot of water throughout the lake. I had been successful before here so I poled a shoreline where I have seen reds. It did not take long before I spotted two reds in a very small gap of weeds. I was maybe 10-20 feet from them. I may a few casts with a weedless rigged Slayer and a Curl Tail Buggs. Upon retrieval, both would bring back tons of weeds. If you have fished a weedless rigged soft plastic or a Buggs, you would know that both are pretty good working in the weeds for most encounters. But with the water slow low, it was simply too much vegetation. I would cast just past the reds and try to work the lure in front of them but by then there was to grass on the lure and they were only a few feet from the shoreline.

I know in the bass world, a hollow bodied frog would be recommended for such situations. Has anybody found these effective with reds?
mmwaggie

Re: Hollow body frogs

Post by mmwaggie »

I have not used hollow body frogs in saltwater. Anything can work if that's what they want that day. Never hurts to try. I'd also suggest looking at Trout support's new topwater. It works really well and is weedless.
harv418
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by harv418 »

Don't forget about the Soft Plastic Spook. The YUM Money-hound. Tex-posed rigging, and they walk fine.
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

[quote="

I know in the bass world, a hollow bodied frog would be recommended for such situations. Has anybody found these effective with reds?[/quote]
I've been wanting to try freshwater lures in salt forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
harv418
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by harv418 »

I've been wanting to try freshwater lures in salt forever.
Don't hold back. Spinnerbaits are killer for Reds. Spooks, and spooks Jr, Mann's minus 1... they all work both in Freshwater and Saltwater. I've got Reds on texas rigged worms.

I don't fish Saltwater anymore, but I promise you, if it will catch a bass, it will catch a Red, Trout, and maybe even a flounder. Works the other way as well. A corkie in Freshwater will make the pickiest Bass want to eat.