GoPro Help?

themadhunter

GoPro Help?

Post by themadhunter »

Sorry to post this here.....
Anyone use a GoPro on their yak?
What mount do you use? Can something be hooked up to a Scotty or Yak Attack mount to get it up high?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbdavis3591

Re: GoPro Help?

Post by rbdavis3591 »

I use a 1/2" PVC pipe bolted to my milk crate for my DIY camera mount. There are many videos available showing how to make these types of mounts including ideas on attaching them to your kayak.

One change I made to my camera mount was attaching a $7 Tripod Mini Ball Head to the end of PVC pipe that allows me to adjust the angle of the camera as needed. I chose this type of mount because my camera costs a lot less than a Go Pro so I mount the camera without the waterproof case and take my chances with water getting into the camera.

If I wanted to use a mount to use the Go Pro type water proof case I would create one as shown in this video: DIY Tricks to Mount a Go Pro to PVC Pipe.
david.holt

Post by david.holt »

ISC on a kayak? So you conduct ISR analysis while fishing :lol:
eightweight

Post by eightweight »

After some trial and error, here's what I do for my Tarpon 160. Pretty simple.

- GoPro tripod mount (ordered it online)
- 24" x 1/2" grey, threaded PVC stand pipe for sprinklers (Lowes)
- 1/2" threaded cap for the pipe (Lowes)
- stainless screw and nut for the tripod mount (Ace Hardware)
- grey flange base for the pipe (Lowes)
- stainless screws to mount the flange base to the T160 slide track (Ace Hardware)
- Krylon plasticoat spray paint, camouflage olive ultra flat

Drill a hole in the pipe cap and mount the GoPro tripod mount with the screw and nut.
Thread the assembly onto the 1/2" PVC pipe.
Drill two holes in the flange base for the mounting screws.
Thread the flange base onto the PVC pipe.
Mount the assembly onto the T160 slide track with the mounting screws.
Go catch fish.
Attachments
G0030233.JPG
G0010227.JPG
eightweight

Post by eightweight »

I should add, the 24" pole is a good height. Mounted about two feet behind the seat, two feet high, the GoPro gives a nice over the shoulder POV. The T160 rear slide track is perfect for this. For other yaks without a slide trak, you could drill a couple of holes in the hull and mount with well nuts (Ace Hardware).
themadhunter

Post by themadhunter »

rbdavis3591 wrote:I use a 1/2" PVC pipe bolted to my milk crate for my DIY camera mount. There are many videos available showing how to make these types of mounts including ideas on attaching them to your kayak.

One change I made to my camera mount was attaching a $7 Tripod Mini Ball Head to the end of PVC pipe that allows me to adjust the angle of the camera as needed. I chose this type of mount because my camera costs a lot less than a Go Pro so I mount the camera without the waterproof case and take my chances with water getting into the camera.

If I wanted to use a mount to use the Go Pro type water proof case I would create one as shown in this video: DIY Tricks to Mount a Go Pro to PVC Pipe.
Thank you. This was helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbdavis3591

Post by rbdavis3591 »

david.holt wrote:ISC on a kayak? So you conduct ISR analysis while fishing :lol:
Actually I do the analysis and imagery interpretation after I get home when I upload the files to my computer and combine them into one file. :wink:

With the height and angle of my mounted camera I get a different perspective from sitting in the low position in the kayak and see a lot of things I missed while actually fishing.
mchaffin

Post by mchaffin »

Don't really have a pic but you can see mine in this one. It's the same as others have said, 1/2" pvc with a cap on the end. Ran a bolt through the cap wait nut on the other side and just use a tripod adapter.Image Image

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Tx_Trout_Stud

Post by Tx_Trout_Stud »

I use a tripod mount that I attached to the bill of my hat for a 1st person POV and a handle bar mount on a telescoping rod behind my yak to get a 3rd person view.