South Padre fishing spots (walk-in and kayak)

Crusader

South Padre fishing spots (walk-in and kayak)

Post by Crusader »

I am going to spend few days on the island soon. Will take my kayak with me. Can you suggest me few launch spots and typical lure types used in those waters? I am big fan of flounder and reds, but wouldn't mind catching few specks.

Thank you
Otto_08

Re: South Padre fishing spots (walk-in and kayak)

Post by Otto_08 »

Fishing out of the kayak and searching for reds I'd kayak over to mexiquita flats or South Bay. They are both a good distance to paddle from the island but South bay you can launch right into if you drive over to Boca Chica beach. Walk-in wade areas you could walk-in behind the convention center or right behind IBC bank on Padre Blvd.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

Welcome, coast guard station good wade n yak, dolphin cove also area behind dirty Al's
At end of causeway on SPI side good wade and kayak
KOA is also good watch out for oyster beds
Parrot eyes has a launch ramp a fee to pay but good access to bay via kayak
Convention center good just paddle south so wind bring some u back
Palm street pier has a launch small fee just don't park on street
Behind IBC bank good too, just hard to find parking

There u have it all spots covered,

Popping cork with gulp works good
Kelly wigglrts in LSU chart tail
DOA on popping Cork
Chicken boy red n whit with some chickenchit works good

Surf use fish bites for whiting, jetties r seeing some great Spanish macks
I'd go on the surf if u get a good calm morning

Let's go fishin...coco!
Z-man
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Thanks, guys! I've found some launch spots in the areas you mentioned. Should be able to find my way around...

It seems that most of fishing happens in the open -- I do not see a lot of typical Galveston Bay marshes in the area. Am I correct?

Anyone going to fish within 1h drive of SPI next week? I'd like to tag along to learn some ropes... :)

Also, does anyone know anything about these two passes (and large lakes behind them):
Overpass #1
Overpass #2

Passes look like a good area to stop, get out of car and throw chickenboy for an hour or two if water is moving. Lakes look interesting too.

I appreciate PMs, if you don't like too much publicity :-)
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

limited out today on trout. also found my first snook and little red. Tried fishing tabletop, but was totally unprepared for weeds in very shallow and crystal clear water. Paddled around, saw few reds, got out of water around 1pm.

there was no activity in south bay, but a lot of bait in the channel

how do you fish tabletop -- topwater?

P.S. So many people on SPI...
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Overpasses mentioned above were a bust -- shallow, no signs of fish. Few locals soaking shrimp with zero success.

Port Isabel is straight depressing -- any public access to water is closed, fences and barbed wire everywhere, like concentration camp. A lot of dilapidated houses and trailers.

Drove north, lots of nice houses. Some water access into very open bay which didn't look very fishy.

Checked out Holly beach -- last segment of road that leads there is a trap. Very sticky and slick clay on the road (probably because of recent rain). I slid off the road at some point and got stuck. Don't go there without 4wd.

Overall, there is way more water access on bay side of SPI -- just try few of these little roads going west. There us only one problem -- parking.

Bay looks very big, shallow and very grassy. Not sure how to fish it, I ended up fishing edges of channels. Lots of trout, especially in the morning. Lots of boats, most just run around without catching any fish :-)
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Z~MAN »

The 2nd overpass would be better just watch out for oysters

Sorry I didn't post but we were in port Mansfield had some nice trout

Next time PM u can tag along...

Let's go fishin.....Coco!
Z-man
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Z~MAN wrote:Sorry I didn't post but we were in port Mansfield had some nice trout

Next time PM u can tag along...
Thanks, dude. Too far from me, unfortunately -- 1.5h drive. It's ok, I figured few patterns here already. Shame, couldn't find any flounder...

I guess new Tobin's lure should work on these clear water, shallow grassy flats. That is if you could find fish... but until I learn this skill -- I'll stick to beating channel edges. :-)

Btw, tried fishing surf today -- never caught keeper pompano before. Got big lady, jack and serious beating in waves. Surf was brutal. Think I am gonna need a new reel too
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Checked out N jetty today before sunset -- ended up with my first king -- 42" on a trout class rod and reel. Talk about smoking drag, baby!!!

First hint was subtle tug and unexplainable disappearance of my jig from the other end of the line. Then about an hour of trying different lures until some deep running pink crank bait got his attention (this time with wire leader :)). And right at the rocks my damn wire leader snapped! Here I was standing 3 feet from exhaused fish that had no strength to swim away for 5 sec. I ended up grabbing my line and tangling formed loop (by rod's tip) in the second treble of the lure that was hanging from king's mouth. It was ebough to drag him closer and grab him by the gills. Whooo-hoo!

I have no idea why forum software flipped pic upside down
Attachments
20170719_202121.jpg
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Bay side, at about 3/4 of jetty on outgoing tide.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Z~MAN »

Congrats! Glad u caught something and ur first :dance:

Z-man
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Checked same spot this morning, got another king in same weight class, maybe a bit heavier. He almost spooled me -- I had only few feet of line left on a reel when he stopped his best run. Gave him to kids fishing next to me (who, btw, got spooled twice after that thanks to drag being too light). Beautiful day, clear green water, gulf was like a lake -- there were stand up paddle boards by the end of jetty :-)

Gotta say that your cheap freshwater reel (size 2) cant take more than two kings -- my drag is totally dead now :-D
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Z~MAN »

Wow....nice jester I hope tomfish this Saturday befor winds turn brutal

Z-man
Longliner

Post by Longliner »

Crusader wrote:Checked same spot this morning, got another king in same weight class, maybe a bit heavier. He almost spooled me -- I had only few feet of line left on a reel when he stopped his best run. Gave him to kids fishing next to me (who, btw, got spooled twice after that thanks to drag being too light). Beautiful day, clear green water, gulf was like a lake -- there were stand up paddle boards by the end of jetty :-)

Just curious, how much line were you spooled up with

Gotta say that your cheap freshwater reel (size 2) cant take more than two kings -- my drag is totally dead now :-D
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Just curious, how much line were you spooled up with
I have no idea... Very little for bluewater species -- that's for sure. It was a typical cheap trout-class reel size 2, almost full with 30lb Power Pro. Maybe a hundred yards? I had my drag quite tight -- I knew kings can pull pretty good.