Kelly Wigglers

WoodsWaterSky

Kelly Wigglers

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

With the weather not being the most desirable of fishing conditions and having a small surgical procedure done on my foot, I decided to stay out of the water this past weekend to avoid being washed out to sea or contracting any kind of flesh eating anything. So I followed my own advice and cleaned out my tackle bag. Among all of the baits I sorted through I found some Kelly Wigglers that I bought back in the mid to late 80s that were still in pristine condition. I bought a ton of these things when that was the most spoke of bait along the coast. Even the KW Special Rods were a hit. I laid the baits out and took a picture of them and then bagged them up and permanently retired them. I don't know what ever became of some of the guys I fished with back then, but we had a lot of fun in those days.
Attached is a picture for those of you who threw them too.
Attachments
Kelly Wigglers.jpg
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Kelly Wigglers

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Why retire them? Send them to fishing lure Valhalla with honor and many tooth marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lc2hl

Post by lc2hl »

I would use them up! You need to throw at least one the next time we hit the water!
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Although I fly fish 99.9% of the time, I have been seen from time to time with a Curado in hand chucking something other than craft fur. I actually still have a bunch of those strawberry/white Wigglers you photographed (along with some other colors), and they still catch fish when I throw them. Use 'em! Honor their heritage!
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Those were the first soft plastics I threw, mostly that strawberry/white in the surf. The white color used to slay trout in Anahuac NWR in the fall when they school up. Still have a few stowed away deep I am sure.

It wasn't long after that a friend turned me on to the Deadly Dudley baits he discovered on a trip to Louisiana and they were all I used until Bass Assassin slit bellies came along.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

They'll still catch fish too.. Put them to work under the birds! They new KW willow tail is pretty awesome as well.
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Lol! Ok, I caved under pressure (thanks cuervo, lc2hl, and hipshot). I'll pull a few out and fish them next trip. I have been putting away plastics since i was a kid, and have some real gems.
So next time out, I'll chunk some oldschool proven baits. Valhalla and toothmarks it is...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk