Thank You

vicb276

Thank You

Post by vicb276 »

Sunday, around 0400, I turtled under the Galveston Causeway. I was fishing alone but saw other guys fishing, too. Thank God they were there. They helped me get back in my kayak and helped me retrieve my paddle. Had it not been for them, I dont think I'd be writing this post. I wish I'd gotten their names as one of them just handed me a Hobie cart to help me load.
If you guys happen to read this, please send me a PM as I would like to know your names, personally.
Thanks, again!
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Re: Thank You

Post by larry long shadows »

very glad to be reading this hope they are on here so you can thank them ....
TigerLandSportsman

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

Glad to hear you made it out safe.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I am glad to hear you made it through this safely!

Not to turn this around and make this thread negative (as you making it through this is a blessing) but please don't go out there again by yourself, bring a friend. The Galveston Causeway is definitely not a place to kayak by yourself. It's better to go with people you know. Fortunately for you there were people there that cared enough to stop fishing to help a fellow kayaker in need.

In regards to the changes, the conditions can change in a heartbeat at the Causeway. The undertow is there but can't be seen many times. Because of this many people assume it's safe if they fall in the water. Kayaking there can be good, as I have fished there many times, but definitely go with friends (and make sure everyone has VHF radios).

There are other unforeseen situations I could list but I think you get the jest. Once again, I am happy to hear that you made it through this safely! Call some friends next time you want to fish the Causeway to go with you.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Thank you for posting. Few things are scarier than being alone and in trouble.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Glad you are ok and that others were there to help. Even though there's a lot of nastiness in the world, when it's down to the personal level we humans usually do the right thing...well, Ok, I may have claimed salvage rights on your kayak but I still would have helped you . Again, I'm glad you are ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Rsparrow

Post by Rsparrow »

Glad you are able to tell the story!

This is not meant to be judgmental, I am just interested in the situation. I was wondering why you were unable to get back in your Yak yourself? I hope to gain some arm chair experience from your actual harrowing experience. Thanks....
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

My dad turtled underneath that causeway once ...luckily some power boaters scooped us up and took us back over to Galveston bait and tackle. Definitely a rough area

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

A humbling experience no doubt... Glad help was there when you need it the most.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Glad you made it out safely. I turtled once in waist deep, clear, fairly still water. Had a real bear of a time getting the yak righted and back in. All that adrenaline and panic of trying to gather up lost stuff really puts the crunch on one's normally icy-cool nerves of steel. Go forth and turtle no more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Like others who've posted I am glad that you made it out of the situation and that you took the time to post up. Am sure that you have reflected on this event (more like replaying it over and over again!) and have asked yourself "What could I have done differently?". Take the time needed to make sure that you are better prepared (both physically and mentally) and get back out there. And make sure you have a seasoned buddy or two with you.

PS: We've all been in your shoes at some point in time so don't be bashful about reaching out for help. And, there are no stupid questions so don't be shy.

Tight lines!
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Glad you made it! Probably a life lesson and some reflection was done to keep it safe in the future. At least I didn't hear no pfd and it was summer. Keep it safe out there and keep fishing!
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

So glad that didn't go completely sideways on you. It was not I who helped, but had I been there I would have helped.

I have fortunately only ever needed assistance once on the water and that was engine troubles - not as dangerous as what you went through, especially since there were probably 30 boats on Big Reef with us when we couldn't get her going. Not less than 10 boats were close enough to hit us with a rock, but either acted like they didn't see us or chose to fish on instead of helping. The guy that towed us in to Shirley's that day was as disgusted as we were with the A-wholes who ignored us. He would take no money. We tried but could not get contact information from him (knowing I guess that we'd mail him cash). Jerry was his name; I remember that.

I have towed 3 boats off the water and rescued a man and his son from the North Jetty Boat cut (they had walked all the way out there and he gashed his shin pretty badly on the rocks). Gotta help your fellow mammals, folks. It's a given.
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

vicb276, I'm afraid this is going to come across as somewhat harsh, but when it comes to learning safety lessons, harsh words are better than harsh experience, and my only intent here is to push you and others to get the training you need to be safe on the water.

Kayakers, and boaters in general, aren't Blanche Dubois, we shouldn't expect to "rely on the kindness of strangers" to get us out of the most basic sticky situations. Deep-water reentry is about the most basic self-rescue skill there is. It’s something a newbie is expected to practice multiple times and master before going out on trips. If you haven't mastered it yet, you have no business being out in open water, let alone by yourself.

I am sorry to have to single you out, because your situation is merely one example of a cavalier attitude about safety and proper kayaking skills that has been endemic to TKF for years. Cuervo Jones' response in this thread is another example - according to his profile, he's been kayak fishing for at least 9 years, and yet he says he turtled and reentered just once, in only waist-deep water without any current and just barely succeeded. On a board like paddling.net, where kayaking is recognized as a sport in itself, there would be incredulity and urgent appeals to anyone who made an admission like Mr. Jones’ to immediately get some ACA-certified instruction before going out by himself again. But on this site, most people here are fishermen first, kayakers a distant, distant second.

Ten years ago, Doug Poudre, an ACA certified instructor, aptly summed the zeitgeist on this board, and unfortunately it seems things have not changed much since then:
Doug Poudre wrote:...I'm sure plenty will go against the experience of many PADDLERS and do as fisherman do, because they always know best.
Doug Poudre wrote: I was going to try to develop a curriculum for kayak fishing last year, but I realized how futile my expenditure of energy would be. If it might inhibit having fun, drinking on the water or catching fish, it's not worth giving it a second thought.
Cuervo Jones' parting advice to you is "Go forth and turtle no more!" but that is terrible advice, it is the exact opposite of what you need to do. You need to deliberately turtle a lot, in sheltered conditions, until you can right your craft and pull yourself into it from water over your head with practiced ease. And you need to do it again every year to make sure you still can. And you need to take a class, taught by an ACA-certified instructor. PM Doug Poudre, if he's still around here.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I turtled at the causeway before. My son was in my Hobie and I was in my Ascend and the waves over took the hatch seals and I flooded and tipped. My son freaked out more than I did. I just got my wits about me and righted the yak alone and asked my son to go around and pick up all my "floaties". That is the tough part in current if you turtle, getting all your stuff back.
Thank God you are all right. Use a buddy until you feel you're good to go alone and then invite others to go to keep the buddy system going. :wink:
Just stay calm and know what to do BEFORE it happens and you will be prepared.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Not sure where I said I "just barely succeeded," but splendid effort with the bold and underlining. Also, thanks for explaining who has any business being out on the water according to you. I will stop kayaking immediately and take up hot yoga instead. I'm already wearing the pants and have a spiffy headband. Is that ok with you Reefmonkey? Or should I check in with the hot yoga forum on that subject before proceeding. Anxiously awaiting instructions.
Your pal,
Cuervo Jones

Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Not sure where I said I "just barely succeeded,"
Cuervo Jones wrote:I turtled once in waist deep, clear, fairly still water. Had a real bear of a time getting the yak righted and back in.
In waist-deep water, no less.
Cuervo Jones wrote: Also, thanks for explaining who has any business being out on the water according to you.
Not according to me, according to common sense, the ACA, Boy Scouts of America, American Red Cross, etc.
Cuervo Jones wrote:I will stop kayaking immediately and take up hot yoga instead. I'm already wearing the pants and have a spiffy headband. Is that ok with you Reefmonkey?
Sure, fine with me, you're probably not going to get into a yoga situation where you'd imperil yourself or those who would rescue you. And it might give you some core strength and make you more flexible, so those re-entries in waist-deep water won't be so daunting for you.
Cuervo Jones wrote:Anxiously awaiting instructions.
Sigh, the lesson for the day is that you shouldn't be passively awaiting instruction, you should be actively seeking it out:

http://www.americancanoe.org/?page=FindCourses
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Thank You

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I was truly ashamed of myself.
Here's a photo moments before the incident occurred. Tiffany didn't even offer to help save my beer. Thanks for NOTHING Tiffany.
Thanks to your instructions, I will no longer wait for instructions...so...now what do I do?

Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Cuervo Jones wrote:I was truly ashamed of myself.
Here's a photo moments before the incident occurred. Tiffany didn't even offer to help save my beer. Thanks for NOTHING Tiffany.
Thanks to your instructions, I will no longer wait for instructions...so...now what do I do?
Well, pool sessions are an excellent way to practice skills. See if you can execute a storm roll with a Greenland-style paddle without spilling your beer. Classic ACA skills test.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Thank You

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Go forth and turtle no more.
Also, watch out for creeps on the internet telling you what to do and how to do it. Now...go put on those lederhosen I sent you and start eating that peanut butter and jelly sandwich....nice and slooowwwww...yeahhhh.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

We need better weather to get you guys out fishing. Sitting at home wishing you were fishing is causing a sort of anxiety. Lashing out sometimes helps but it always is wrong in the end. Let's post good stuff and move on.