Gander Mountain

Yakety_Yak

Gander Mountain

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Okay guys, I went to Gander Mountain today on Eldridge and Westheimer. This store is the first of the four stores to be closing. It's closing date is this Wednesday (June 28th). The other stores will be closing in another month. If you haven't been there yet lately, you may want to take a trip. I had been going and at first, the sales were not that great yet. Since it's the last week of this particular location being open, the deals are absolutely crazy!! I got there before all the church and lunch traffic made it in and this is what I got before the madness arrived.......

Don't pay any attention to the prices on some of these as they were knocking off the price left and right. I was going up to the register thinking it was going to be a good deal and wouldn't ya know, the price was even cheaper at the register. Things were happening so fast at the store that they couldn't keep up with the things manually. That's where the computer came in handy when ringing up things. The prices were almost cheaper all the way around.

For example, the shirts are long sleeve and they were orginally $29.99 marked down to $1.59. The Gander Mountain line which is 660 yards and 12 mono was regularly $9.99 but I got it at $1.00. All the Rooster Tail lures were averaging $0.45 each. When I saw that, I bought all of what was left of them, lol. The saltwater section was picked over really bad so I wasn't able to get much there. I can tell you this much though.... the tandem spec rig was only $0.09. :D

Get on over to that location and see if you can find anything that hasn't already picked over before it closes. OH.... I will tell you this one last thing. I did manage to buy this rod holder display a few weeks ago. Out of around 10 of them, there was only three left and I had bought one of them. This rod/reel holder holds up to 50. I have managed to put 25 on the front with no problem. I am certainly enjoying it! I bought it for half off for $62.50 from $125.00. Prior to that it was even more expensive. Be careful though, the longer you wait waiting for that great deal, someone may come in and snag it up before you can get it. Choose your buying and timing perfectly.

julioandadrie

Re: Gander Mountain

Post by julioandadrie »

I live right down the street from there.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

julioandadrie wrote:I live right down the street from there.

I left around 11:00 am this morning from that store and it was pretty picked over. I had found a set of waders that were $149.99 on sale for $19.99. I decided I was going to look in the fishing department first then decide to come back if I wanted those waders or not. I came back about 20 minutes later but they were gone and that was the last set. I really missed out on that deal. That's what I get for not going with my gut instinct. :(
julioandadrie

Post by julioandadrie »

Well theres a few stores closing i heard that they are only keeping like 2 stores open.

julioandadrie

Post by julioandadrie »

I want to look for another kayak i may search for one at another store and also a fish/depth finder

Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

At first the only store that was going to remain open of the four was the Spring store but that is not the case any longer. Now all four stores are closing. The Spring store will be closing later. From what I have heard, all kayaks are gone at the 290, Westheimer, and Sugarland locations. I am not sure about the Spring store. My buddy told me about the 290 location and I have personally been in the Westheimer and Sugarland stores. I think you have about until the middle/end of July before the Spring store is closing. You may want to call or go up there to see if there are any kayaks left at the Spring store. Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

Went to the Westheimer location last night for last minute deals. NOTHING! It's been cleaned out!

Just the weekend before, I scored some Yozuri suspending lures for like $3 each (regularly $10-12). I only bought 3 or 4 for the BWKC tournament. But been kicking myself for not buying more!

Oh well, if I can catch one king with these, money well spent!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I went there this morning and yes, I agree. That store is completely cleaned out, lol. When they close at the end of Wednesday, they will not have much to move. lol
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Looks like you made out like a bandit... That's awesome !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
thomasnkaren

Post by thomasnkaren »

beaumont still had fish finders but only 20% off
julioandadrie wrote:I want to look for another kayak i may search for one at another store and also a fish/depth finder

Luber

Post by Luber »

julioandadrie wrote:I want to look for another kayak i may search for one at another store and also a fish/depth finder

The one at Hwy 6 and 290 still has depth finders.
julioandadrie

Post by julioandadrie »

Nice ill have to get over there as soon as i can. Im just so busy with work, i do commercial hvac and im working 80 + hours and thats monday - friday

Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

I think I heard that today, Wednesday the 28th is the very last day.

I went about 3 weeks ago and picked up a Stanley classic one hand vacuum mug, 16 oz for $17, normally those are about $30, and a deck cleat for my sailboat for about $4. Though I was disappointed to see the Columbia PFG stuff looked pretty much picked over, mostly what they had in clothing deals was the Gander Mountain brand.

After the lousy store closing sales at Sports Authority last year I was pretty skeptical of Gander Mountain's closing sale, but it does seem to be legit this time. About the time Sports Authority was closing, I was looking for one of those small, simple SOT kayaks for my daughter, I kept watching the price on the ones Sports Authority supposedly had on deep discount, and they were still significantly higher than what I could pay for them elsewhere. I later found out a lot of times when national chains like this go out of business, they hire these companies to manage their going-out-of business sales. The companies go in and jack up all the supposed "regular" prices on the merchandise way higher than they ever were when the companies were doing regular business, and then "discount" them to give the illusion they have been deeply discounted. I watched the kayak prices at Sports Authority until all the kayaks were sold, to suckers at a price that was still substantially higher than what I ended up paying for the same kayak at Academy about a week or so later.

Final note, I remember when Gander Mountain first came to Texas someone here posted an allegedly humorous commentary of someone entering a Gander Mountain for the first time and going ga-ga over the selection, etc. I remember at the time thinking "hasn't this guy ever been inside a Bass Pro before?"(Bass Pro having already been in Texas several years at that point) I'm really unsurprised that Gander Mountain failed, they really weren't that great. They had neither the breadth of selection of a Bass Pro, nor the level of high end items of an REI, nor the great selection of low to midrange items at great prices at many convenient locations Academy has.

On that note, I keep seeing Field and Stream stores popping up everywhere, but haven't been in one yet - are they worth a visit, provide anything the other competitors don't? I have trouble imagining how it is going to compete, especially with the Cabelas-Bass Pro merger.
capn crunch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by capn crunch »

I went to the Gander in Spring this afternoon, hoping to catch a deal. I found out the scoop from an employee. Thursdays are mark down days. They discount a little every Thursday. Fishing rods will be off 30% tomorrow. Considering they are already a lot higher than anyone else, I'll pass. The Spring store is NOT going to close permanently. I believe it is the only store in the Houston area not to shut it's doors. They are going to shut down July 31st for 2 weeks to remodel, then reopen with a different name and logo. They will carry basically the same merchandise, with an emphasis on camping. Therefore, they have no incentive to get down to fire sale prices. Matter of fact, I saw a sign out front for help wanted.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

capn crunch wrote:I went to the Gander in Spring this afternoon, hoping to catch a deal. I found out the scoop from an employee. Thursdays are mark down days. They discount a little every Thursday. Fishing rods will be off 30% tomorrow. Considering they are already a lot higher than anyone else, I'll pass. The Spring store is NOT going to close permanently. I believe it is the only store in the Houston area not to shut it's doors. They are going to shut down July 31st for 2 weeks to remodel, then reopen with a different name and logo. They will carry basically the same merchandise, with an emphasis on camping. Therefore, they have no incentive to get down to fire sale prices. Matter of fact, I saw a sign out front for help wanted.
That's pretty much what I was told as well. Camping World has bought out a few GMs and Outdoor World has bought out some others. I don't know which World bought out the GM in Spring but they are staying put, remodeling, and then opening again with a new name. Let's hope we can get some good deals in there before they close their doors for a few weeks or so to remodel.
SpringTFF

Post by SpringTFF »

Reefmonkey. Regarding Field and Stream , been in their stores in LA and PA, they are the "outdoors" version of Dicks. My opinion don't waste your time. A lot of lower end junk. If you are are a Flyfisher stick to FTU / BCA / Orvis. Conventional and demand good equipment and a large selection stick to Bass Pro.
Kayaks? Crap. They do have a few a good Perception/ private labeled yaks but prices are eh. Stay away.
SpringTFF

Post by SpringTFF »

Reefmonkey. Regarding Field and Stream , been in their stores in LA and PA, they are the "outdoors" version of Dicks. My opinion don't waste your time. A lot of lower end junk. If you are are a Flyfisher stick to FTU / BCA / Orvis. Conventional and demand good equipment and a large selection stick to Bass Pro.
Kayaks? Crap. They do have a few a good Perception/ private labeled yaks but prices are eh. Stay away.
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

When GM announced they'd open a store on Eldridge, I was really excited as it would be another option for me. But once opened, I realized few things. I gave them a shot over and over, but......

1. Their stuff weren't anything special vs Academy, Wal-mart, Bass Pro, etc. Only difference was it was higher several dollars.
2. They really didn't cater to the region. No specialty salt water stuff. I can get exact same things at Academy at a lower cost! They made FTU look like a top end store (I believe FTU does have better merchandise).
3. Their employees were crap and absolutely had no knowledge of the products. I went in one day looking for hand held VHF radios. Couldn't find any. So asked an employee. He said they carried them and pointed me to the walky-talkies. I explained/pointed out they are not VHF radios. He didn't know the difference. Everytime I asked for help or explained what i'm looking for, they had a blank look and just pointed me to a "general area". This was multiple people not just one.

I just knew they wouldn't last. Hell, I was just throwing money at Academy and FTU (wish i owned stocks), my money was there to be taken and they couldn't do it. Now it'll be another vacant building. Not sure what other store will fill that big customized void.
hunter.muzny

Post by hunter.muzny »

Has anyone been to the location off 6 in college station lately? Have they dropped prices any? Is there even a selection left?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk