trolling the bays?

LUISJG
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

trolling the bays?

Post by LUISJG »

anyone every try to kayak troll the bays? corpus bay etc..
if so what lures ?
thanks
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: trolling the bays?

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I troll all the time. Between spots and if I'm looking for fish. In bays I use plastics on jigheads, shallow cranks, and lately, corkies. Search the threads for posts by a guru named Saltykat. He was a big proponent of trolling and smoked lots of good fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Angler

Post by The Angler »

I'll troll a lure every now and then; I'll usually just troll while in between spots. I've caught everything that way, but I think it's best for flounder, caught a 24.5" flattie trolling a gold spoon. Gulp works well, you could probably tear 'em up with live bait that way too. I've got a prop bait to troll deeper water on flat days, but haven't got around to trying it yet.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I will second the look up saltykat recommendation. I fished with him a few times in a couple of spots that were pretty deep, ~ 6 or more feet. He'd slowly troll over the structure and maybe twitch the tsunami or corky once in a while with great results. He had a Hobie PA which was ideal for trolling.

I paddled down Cedar Lake Creek in the San Bernard NWR from the ramp on the creek to the ICW. That's by my standards a long paddle and for most of the trek I trolled a paddle tail. I caught 15 or so trout on the paddle downstream. It got to be a nuisance because my buddy was getting too far ahead with all the fish I had to stop and reel in.

I haven't really trolled with my fly tackle, but sometimes I'll have out a combined 30 feet or so of line, leader and fly in the water while I move a little to reposition my kayak and have picked up fish that way.

When I trolled with lures or paddle tails, I had a Scotty rod holder mounted on the port side rail a little forward of the seat where it wouldn't get in the way of my paddle stroke but I could still reach the rod. I had the rod tip angled up and towards the stern. That was more relaxing than trolling with a rod holder behind, aft of the seat. Trolling is great for when you want to paddle in a relaxed way and enjoy the scenery and still be fishing. It's good for when you get tired of casting.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Keep in mind that there may be more than one fish in the area that you just hooked up on. So it never hurts to stop and fish a spot once you've found a fish.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I'm a wader from way back, so the kayak has been more of a transport to wading than a fishing vessel. I have trolled baits behind a kayak (it is an ideal speed match for spoons if you don't paddle too fast) though not in a while. Spoons, paddle tails, or maybe a floater/diver. But speed is critical depending on the bait. With a Cordell Red-Fin broken back, go slow and have it at least 20 yards behind you. With a spoon, go faster, with a paddle tail, haul ass.

But for me, it's only enroute to my next wading spot and if I catch a trout or red, it's anchor down, get out and try to catch its friends.
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

I often trolled when moving to my next spot. I found this more productive in the warmer months. I've caught mostly trout but I once had a 24" Spanish Mac crush a trolled mirrordine near SLP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

id try a walmart 1/4 - 3/4 oz weedless good spoon tipped with shrimp or, cut bait or gulp
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Rapala Minnow #7 was doing wonders for me in 3-5 fow in Trinity bay (depends how you tie it it can dive deeper or stay on top). Seems like the best bite was when lure was digging the bottom a bit.