Question For Malone Trailer Owners

JMS

Question For Malone Trailer Owners

Post by JMS »

Back finally told me enough is enough get a trailer after failing to find a used one or seeing the add to late I decided to buy a new one. Having ACK SA assemble (to much junk in garage). Well I'm trying to buy a drop hitch for my truck (have 3 inch lift) that will alight with the trailer with the retractable tongue I called Malone and they said when trailer was level it was 15 inches from ground to bottom of ball mount. I've looked @ the picture and don't see how if the tires are 12 inches and the tongue is below the tires so how could 15 inches be accurate. I called Malone again and they assured me 15 inches was correct.

So my question to Malone owners what is the measurement of the 12 inch wheel from bottom of tire to top (thinking maybe measurement is just the wheel and not the wheel and tire) and/or the measurement from ground to coupler like in the pictureImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kirk B.

Re: Question For Malone Trailer Owners

Post by Kirk B. »

Your latter assumption is correct. 12" is the rim diameter. Sidewall height is expressed as a percent of tread width.
Ferinstance:
A 175/75R12 tire is 175 mm across the tread, the sidewall is 75% of that, so 131.25mm.
175mm = 6.9"
131 mm = 5.2"
Roughly, the tire would be 22.4" across.
Roughly, lol. It never works out exactly.

Kirk B.
habanerojooz

Re: Question For Malone Trailer Owners

Post by habanerojooz »

The ground to bottom of coupler distance, like the picture, is how you measure.

I had a Malone trailer for years. My trailer hitch on my vehicle was slightly higher (~2") than the measurement and still it worked fine.

There are several articles on the web which describe how to measure and determine how much drop you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk