Does your Solunar App give you the correct times???

JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Does your Solunar App give you the correct times???

Post by JimD »

Which Solunar program do you use?

Does it give you the correct information?

It is amazing just how many do not have the correct data.

Trivia: Did you know that John Alden came up with this concept and for each 12 miles east or west from where the chart was constructed for the time changes 1 minute + west and - east? There is a 51 minute difference from the Louisiana border to the New Mexico border.

The most accurate table I have seen was done by EVERETT JOHNSON and Mike McBride for EJ's "TEXAS SALTWATER FISHING MAGAZINE" years ago. The original one was hand drawn and a work of art. The original mag chart was done for Galveston area. I am guessing the new one is too.

What to look for in the program that you use ( EJ’s info Paraphrased from the old chart)

Majors
Majors are caused when the Moon is Directly overhead or Under foot. Majors run 1 to 1.5 hr BEFORE AND AFTER the moon is directly overhead or under foot.

Minors
Minors RUN 1 TO 1.5 hours AFTER the moon rises and 1 TO 1.5 Hours BEFORE THE MOON SETS.

Look at this information and compare it to the program you use.

I was looking for a new solunar program and I have found programs where they start the major at the moon directly over head and not in the middle of the moon directly over head.

MANY will start the moon down AFTER THE MOON SETS and not the time before it sets. I noticed that 4 Tides had this problem yesterday. They start their minor after the moon sets not the time before.

Other programs do not take into effect "daylight savings time".

Happy Father's Day. JimD

My gift to you is recommend you spend the 12 dollars to get EJ's mag and EVEN BETTER "Go back and read thru the mag's archives of that extend back into 2006. There are fantastic articles here from old timer's that have long since retired but shared their stories, tips and tricks in these issues.
If you are stuck and cannot fish hopefully you can go back and read what worked back then for these guides.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Does your Solunar App give you the correct times???

Post by JimD »

If you look at what EJ did then compare it to your Tides for fishing program you will see these things that do not match up.
(Personally I like the site for every thing but the wrong Solunar Info.)

For today at Jamaica Beach. Look at the chart and compare this to EJ's. Data from Tides for fishing

Moon up 2:45 am 2:45 to 3:45 RIGHT minor
Over Head 9:10 am 9:10 to 11:10 WRONG major
Moon Down 3:36 pm 3:36 to 4:36 WRONG minor

Moon up is correct

Moon Down should be the last hour or so BEFORE the moon goes down not start AFTER the moon sets

The Correct time is the Major starts BEFORE the Moon is Over head and Peaks at the Moon over head then goes down from there. Moon Over Head is the middle of the major not the start of it. :)

I did not see the times for the Moon under but guess it is off the same way.

Really if you have the moon rise and set you can fig these things out for your self even without a table or computer. It is just sad that many programmers did not understand the Knight's theory and just used the numbers in the program formula that they did or used.