Hobie Damage from Rear End "Bump"

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Hobie Damage from Rear End "Bump"

Post by kickingback »

I wanted to pick some brains and see what everyone thought. I have my Hobie PA 14 on a HF trailer and the back end sticks out off the trailer about 2 feet. I have it strapped down with ratchet straps.
Recently I was in the Whataburger drive through and the lady in a truck behind me decided it was her turn to pull up to the window, unfortunately I was still at the window in front of her. She hit the back of my kayak enough to push it forward on the trailer and cause the straps to be stretched forward. I visibly could not see any damage to the kayak except a few scratches on the handle where her grill plastic broke and scrapped my handle but I did call the police and did a report just in case there is an issue with Hobie's being easily damaged at the handle screw on points on the kayak. Again I don't see any visible damage except handle but was wondering if a force trauma like that may cause some damage to the kayak I am not able to see.
My question is should I file a claim against her insurance to be sure or should I just let it go so she doesn't get higher rates as I cannot see any damage and am a fair man? I do not know if there are any "experts" to look at my kayak if I do take it in. I called ACK and they don't do it. If the insurance does it then what do they go by for damage and replacement cost?
Maybe someone has experience in this kind of situation.
Thanks for any replies.
mmwaggie

Re: Hobie Damage from Rear End "Bump"

Post by mmwaggie »

I would contact Hobie directly and get their opinion. I feel as if you'll be fine though. You do have a police report if anything.
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

I agree with mmwaggie. Contact Hobie and get their opinion. They will probably tell you that they cant advise one way or another without seeing it. If you don't see any obvious damage, then you are probably fine. I would remove the handle and check the hull around the holes for cracks.
If you discover that you do need parts or help you could contact this person at Hobie.
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Warranty and Technical Support
Hobie Cat USA
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Thanks much for the replies guys! Helpful for sure! :D