TKF 10,000 Club

Monster Snook!!

Post by CaptJack »

saw this on Facebook - had to share

Regina Gallant stuck this 48" MEGA Snook in Fort Lauderdale

TexasJim

Re: Monster Snook!!

Post by TexasJim »

I wonder what it weighed? The Texas record shows 57.5 pounds, dating from 1937.
Big fish. I hope they CPR'd it.

TexasJim
Endo

Post by Endo »

Am I the only one that thinks that pic is photo shopped?

Jigawatt

Post by Jigawatt »

Endo wrote:Am I the only one that thinks that pic is photo shopped?

I would be straining to hold that much fish. But an extreme wide angle lens could make the fish appear heavier than it is. A 48" snook might only go forty pounds, so that's probably doable for (me).
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Endo wrote:Am I the only one that thinks that pic is photo shopped?

No. The tail looks mighty stiff. Something very weird going on with the photo for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

Endo

Post by Endo »

Thanks. There's at least 10 things in that pic that don't look right or make sense.

Maybe the other poster is correct and the camera lens was an extreme wide angle lens..like a fish-eye lens (no pun intended) and it is distorting it all way too much. I hate when people just can't take a normal perspective picture.

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Definitely some distortion. Her legs look like she's got elephantiasis. Which...maybe she has. Poor lady.

JMS

Post by JMS »

Agree something fishy with that pic

larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

I think we are being Snookered :mrgreen:
b737

Post by b737 »

Kind of looks like Florida. Is that Mangrove bush in background?
EdK

Post by EdK »

She catches fish... big ones.
smtxom

Post by smtxom »

It's a "forced perspective" picture. It's a trick with lense/angles to make something look bigger than it is. Kinda like the rattlesnake picture that comes up every year and someone says look at this 10' rattler! I don't doubt it's a huge snook but the fish eye wide angle lense and angle make it look bigger than it really is. Still a nice catch!
Attachments
Forced Perspective.jpg
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Forced perspective.. LOL... what ever.. it's still a HUGE *** Snook. Props to the gal.

We, all fisherman, have taken pictures that exaggerate the size of a fish for decades... You're just jeally ;-)
Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Reefmonkey »

Looks to me like she's sitting and resting the fish on her lower thighs, which would allow her to support its large weight just fine. Her legs look normal for someone sitting on a low seat which might push her calves out. And since the fish is resting just above her knees, it can't be that far back from her body - she may be leaning back a bit, so a little bit of forced perspective, but not much. I think it's mostly just a really big snook. Kudos to her!
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

GUYS!
the chick catches BIGGER fish than we do
we're all just jealous
regardless of the camera perspective ;)
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

TexasJim wrote:I wonder what it weighed? The Texas record shows 57.5 pounds, dating from 1937.
Big fish. I hope they CPR'd it.

TexasJim
This to me is the most impressive fact on this thread. Knowing how cold intolerant snook are how the heck did a snook live long enough here in Texas to get that big? Wasn't it even colder back then?

Even Florida has had some winter time cold water snook kills in the not too distant past.

Looks like the photo is legit to me. I think she has the fish resting on her knees and the knees are forward of her body. The fish is also very close to the camera. Those two things make the really big fish look enormous.

Her fingers on one hand are also barely visible and the other hand is hidden. That's usually what I look at to judge the size of a fish in a photo. Lots of folks take fish photos with their arms thrusted into the camera frame filling the frame with the fish, but their seemingly enormous fingers tend to give away the true size of the fish. She's not only a skilled fisherperson but also skilled at making a catch look bigger than it is.
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

I think real. The shadows behind her on the wall of the lower jaw, gill plate, the lure, and the anal fin make it look legit.

The Angler

Post by The Angler »

There's nothing wrong with holding a fish up to the camera. I mean, the fish is the main subject matter, and focal point right?Now catching a small fish and saying its big while holding it up to the camera will get you called out every time, but a 48" snook is a 48"snook, and that's a big fish!
Now the thing that puzzles me is the weight of this monster; I wonder what she weighed? According to FWC, the state record snook is 30lb 4 oz, I would imagine a fish this big would be pretty darn close?
I mean, it's not just a 48" snook, it's a FAT 48" snook. Anybody know the weight?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profi ... ook/snook/

Link above has snook record for Florida at 44 lbs 3oz.

I still can't believe the Texas record snook is more than Florida's. I'd love to know more about the story of the big Texas fish.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

According to the IGFA site, the Florida record all tackle Record Snook at 44 lbs 3 oz is listed at 42 inches.

There is a 45 lbs 12 oz snook listed too. Maybe the FWC site has older information. The 45 lbs 12 oz one is from 2015.

The snook in the photo might be a record fish especially if it was 48 inches.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

http://wrec.igfa.org/WRecordsList.aspx? ... ,%20common

According to IGFA, world record Snook was 53lbs 10oz from Costa Rico. That fish was listed at 48.5"
The Angler

Post by The Angler »

Thanks for the clarification Karstopo, I knew 30lbs seemed a little light; I'm not sure what was up with that? my info was from 2015-2016... http://myfwc.com/media/3817801/FWCSaltw ... 5-2016.pdf

Can't see the IGFA links, I'm not a member. I might be more inclined to sign up if I was a record holder like you Katstopo.

I'd like to hear a story on the Texas record as well. I think tarpon and snook maybe less resilient than trout and reds, and their decline may have had something to do with pollution, overfishing , and the diversion and conversion of their rivers and passes which is critical for their propagation; I'm sure some of it was just natural causes, but not most of it.

Florida, from what I hear, might be getting to that point as well with all the stuff going on in the Everglades right now... Who knows maybe one day a 48" snook in Florida will seem like a fish tale to our grandkids, I sure hope they get things figured out.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

You are the second person in as many days that mentioned something bad going on in the everglades. So what going on there?

Someone talked me into getting a IGFA membership. It was I think $15. There was some sort of conservation angle they used on me.

No record holder here. I did catch a state record for fly rod Croaker, but I never followed up with Surfside Marina on the paper work I filled out there. It was kind of ridiculous anyway. The curent record fish was 8.5 ounces something like that. Mine was 10 ounces. That's pretty tiny for a Croaker. It was tasty though.

The listed on the TP&W site Texas state record snook isn't evidently recognized by the IGFA. The IGFA is pretty interesting I guess. There are literally thousands of records for just about any fish you can think of. Not just fly fishing either.