Quiet around here lately

fishchase

Quiet around here lately

Post by fishchase »

Used to be that I couldn't keep up with the unceasing flow of threads on tkf. Nowadays it is very slow and quiet around here. It's kinda sad for me. I miss all of the stories, questions and back and forth between fellow fisherman. I only make it to the salt maybe once a year so tkf used to allow me to live vicariously through all of y'all. What's the deal?
TigerLandSportsman

Quiet around here lately

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

First baby on the way for me. I haven't touched saltwater in over a year.

I'm the same way as you though. I enjoy this forum for the reports and knowledge that is shared. Although it is not time same as it use to be from my understanding.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Quiet around here lately

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Been discussed before. http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... p?t=242195
Everyone is on fakebook and has their very own, internet hero blog or YouTube channel. TKF is now used to direct people to personal sites. Only us lame-oids who prefer communities and sharing discussions are still around. Feel free to post up a trip report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mmwaggie

Re: Quiet around here lately

Post by mmwaggie »

I enjoy this forum much more than I do facebook. Facebook is more of snake/fish IDs and classifieds. I will continue to frequent this forum.

Also, my work doesn't block this forum but does block facebook...
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I agree with Cuervo and mmwaggie. To quote Elvin Bishop from his song "Old School" "Don't do me no Facebook, no Twitters or Tweets, Call me on the phone if you wanna talk to me, I'm Old School!" Yeah, it's slow here nowadays.

TexasJim
Duweezy

Post by Duweezy »

I used to frequent the facebook tkf and find myself migrating back to the forum. Seems to be a lot more drama and immaturity on FB which I don't care for.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

yes its been very slow.. i like the camp page but no one post like the old days,, and I have seen them post trips on their Facebook pages but not here.. I haven't been on Facebook TKF in awhile just not my cup of tea....plus im tired off looking at the same cover picture ..over and over again ..
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Most of my customers are not using facebook.. only those with businesses trying to see if it will work. LOL. Ends up all their friends are doing the same thing. I don't know a lot of guys using facebook.. maybe they have an account, but rarely use it.
Work2Fish

Post by Work2Fish »

Bump....as for me Tball season just ended for my 2 boys so I hope to start doing a little night fishing and maybe a couple dawn patrols. Always looking for fishing partners, post a msg before you go!
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Love this forum much better than facebook. Also love it a whole lot more than the other texas fishing forums I visit as a guest.

As for me, I've been in a slump getting skunked or only 1 or 2 undersized fish the last 4 or 5 fishing trips so I haven't posted a report in a while. lol
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

TexasJim wrote:I agree with Cuervo and mmwaggie. To quote Elvin Bishop from his song "Old School" "Don't do me no Facebook, no Twitters or Tweets, Call me on the phone if you wanna talk to me, I'm Old School!" Yeah, it's slow here nowadays.

TexasJim
Same here no Facebook, Twitter and deleted my Instagram account.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I seriously think it has been slow due to the weather (winds). Keeping many off the water or in new areas maybe. Keep trolling. Someone will post... :lol:

j/k
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

I enjoy these forums. I mostly read them. I'm older, but totally new to these forums and kayak fishing. Been kayak fishing only about 8 months. Been enjoying areas I never could fish in. Have been wade fishing the freeport, galveston, texas city,since the late 70's. Last trip out pulled a nice slot red out of 12 inches of water. Birds were working, reds were rolling chasing bait. A very enjoyable moment. Maybe with time I'll post regularly. Rather fish and paddle, not talk. Heading out Friday. Sorry guys, I'm retired. I try to be out on the water weekly. Part of my "routine",

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
JasonSir

Post by JasonSir »

I was kind of hoping it would be busier. I am a new guy (me and the wife) to kayak fishing... kayaking at all really ... and was hoping to find a mentor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

Never tried the FB page. I do have an account but it's only used to view business sites now and then that are not fish related. I never thought of FB as a forum type platform. Not sure how that works or why it was even setup. FB has never been satisfying to me, too many disjointed parts and sections that are seldom updated. Videos are not for me. I prefer text.

As for the reports, I could never contribute in a way that would educate as I don't have that skill. I did post a few of my trips last summer just to share the experience. I was hoping to somehow show the newcomers that it's not just about the fish and that you can have a blast just being out.

Sometimes I get the feeling the only ones left don't want to be bothered.

2cool has more traffic but not too much more. So I think there is more going on than just TKF.
EasySix

Post by EasySix »

Maybe the bad conditions this year are frustrating everyone. Until recently, it's been big winds, big waves, and muddy water in the Galveston area with only a few exceptions. I've spent much more time checking here and weather sites than on the water, and when I have gone out, the bite has been slow. I was very happy to bring home one flounder last weekend.
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

EasySix wrote:Maybe the bad conditions this year are frustrating everyone. Until recently, it's been big winds, big waves, and muddy water in the Galveston area with only a few exceptions. I've spent much more time checking here and weather sites than on the water, and when I have gone out, the bite has been slow. I was very happy to bring home one flounder last weekend.

The problem is site wide and it's been going on for a few years. Weather never stopped fisherman from catching fish, much less talking about it. I am a participating member of many boards of various subjects. Each does a ton of traffic and many are regional much like this site. For some reason the traffic is not here. I don't want to say it's all TKF as I haven't found any that do a whole lot more posts in my opinion. But this notion that they have all migrated to the FB page is very hard for me to believe. No forum I have ever been a part of went to it's grave because of FB. FB has been around a long time, practically every business uses it. It's a totally different animal. It can't compete with a well managed forum.
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

When I post on a thread in the morning and go back to it after work to see what others had to say, only to find that the entire thread has been deleted.. That tends to make me less likely to post in the future. I understand this is not a "public" forum, and we don't have freedom of speech or anything silly like that. When they choose to delete threads, imho that's like walking into a meeting place where grown men are talking and just rudely telling everyone to shut up.

Now if I reply to a thread I PM the person I'm replying to, because at this point there's no way to tell what thread a mod will disagree with and simply delete without any consideration for the individuals actually having the discussion.
7 Dog

Post by 7 Dog »

For me I used to visit TKF every day. Since the website changed, it is hard to read the faint print for me, and I now seldom visit. Wish they would go back as it was. :(
bajabugs

Post by bajabugs »

kickingback wrote:I seriously think it has been slow due to the weather (winds). Keeping many off the water or in new areas maybe. Keep trolling. Someone will post... :lol:

j/k
Agreed, bring on the 100+ with 0-10 mph winds so we can complain about that... :lol:
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

bajabugs wrote:
kickingback wrote:I seriously think it has been slow due to the weather (winds). Keeping many off the water or in new areas maybe. Keep trolling. Someone will post... :lol:

j/k
Agreed, bring on the 100+ with 0-10 mph winds so we can complain about that... :lol:
Well you know the winds will be zero when it hits a hundred degrees.... :shock: Fun stuff!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I can't be the only one who watches weather forecasts, looks at tide tables, checks lunar cycle, and then just goes fishing when I get a day off...can I?
When did everyone get so wimpy?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Here's my observation based on nothing (most of my observations are based on my imagination so this is an improvement), the kayak fishing industry is maturing and the amount of first time user information on this interweb thingy has increased. Still, there are a lot of visitors and watchers out there. This is evidenced by the number of responses to the btb meeting scheduled for July 23rd. Most people don't apply themselves to an activity with the same intensity over time. It wanes and waxes as events or opportunities happen. The issue in my mind is recruitment of new kayakers. We have to compete with YouTube and other static websites. Some will say this is a forum owner issue. I disagree. If we want to use this as a method of communication between us then we are just as responsible for that recruitment. Activities like the btb get together, BWKC, Glenn's King of the beach can help recruitment. We, to my knowledge, don't have any similar activities in Bay or fresh water. Add value and we can see an increase in traffic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
JRB-USMC

Post by JRB-USMC »

7 Dog wrote:For me I used to visit TKF every day. Since the website changed, it is hard to read the faint print for me, and I now seldom visit. Wish they would go back as it was. :(
I agree. Since the change, I don't really get on here too often. Not as user friendly and posts get deleted.
Cuervo Jones wrote:I can't be the only one who watches weather forecasts, looks at tide tables, checks lunar cycle, and then just goes fishing when I get a day off...can I?
When did everyone get so wimpy?!
Well said. If I get a day off and am free to go cast a line, I pretty much look at the weather and go. Learned my lesson this year and tried to fish the bay in 20+ mph winds. Needless to say, I was exhausted and never left ankle deep water.

Also learned that the posts on here are pointless to read because people don't state what body of water they are in. I don't want to know your super secret spot but just an overview like Glaveston, Matagorda, Corpus, or something like that is nice to see. OK, now for the haters...tear me apart for asking for locations.
Salaqua

Post by Salaqua »

I started kayak fishing last Summer. I had fished before but did not own any gear and had never kayaked. This forum offered so much information for me in so many good ways to help get me started. While the FB page may not have the in depth content that this forum provides, it does have near instant responses and I suspect that is because FB provides a platform very easy to navigate on a mobile.