Quiet around here lately

JMS

Re: Quiet around here lately

Post by JMS »

Couple things 1) I use Tap talk a free app to view TKF site, a little buggy at times but a pretty user friendly app. 2) Nothing wrong with posting a fishing report that doesn't produce a full stringer, others might offer advice or we might learn from what you did or didn't do. I don't need to know where you fished just what conditions, wind, clarity, on the flats etc and I can apply it to my home water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

JMS wrote:Couple things 1) I use Tap talk a free app to view TKF site, a little buggy at times but a pretty user friendly app. 2) Nothing wrong with posting a fishing report that doesn't produce a full stringer, others might offer advice or we might learn from what you did or didn't do. I don't need to know where you fished just what conditions, wind, clarity, on the flats etc and I can apply it to my home water.

Yes, so true, I'd rather read about the particular structure fished (depth,bottom,bait sign,depth, clarity, etc.) and how it was fished(tops, tails, gulp, bait, etc.)than name the bay or marsh. I'd rather not know the name of the spot especially if it was super specific like a big X marked on the chart spot.

There was a one time report sharer on the forum here that fished some of the same places I did. On occasion, I'd bump into him on the water and we exchange a few "how's it going" "doing any good" type of stuff then go off our separate ways. From a report or two he posted with photos, I'd figured out the exact to the foot spot he fished and exactly how he fished it. I tried going there but felt "dirty" and like a cheat for not figuring out the spot's potential using my own powers of observation and experience. He ruined the house sized spot for me, darn him, because someday I might have figured it out on my own.

Some of the best reports I've read are ones with little or nothing being caught. The big one that got away, a missed opportunity, FUBAR on the water...a lot of funny, interesting, crazy stuff happens on the water that goes way beyond the simple tell of the tape.

But the bottom line is it's your report, share whatever you want. One thing is pretty certain though is you will likely get blowback for sharing too much (stop telling everyone about the secret spot) or too little (where is this miraculous honey hole) such as is the nature of Internet forums.
Luber

Post by Luber »

I think it has something to do with the "comment police"
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

Luber wrote:I think it has something to do with the "comment police"

There is no question an over moderated forum will kill it quicker than you can blink. On the other hand, the boards liberal on use of infractions attract a crowd. You can't tolerate attacks on individuals, but people have to have the freedom to disagree, express forms of humor, share thoughts outside strictly the subject matter, or else the place will go stale quick and users leave.

As soon as the weather improves I will share my experiences. The last few weeks all I have done is clean reels, make surf leaders, stock up. I javent even fished Conroe. This weather really blows. I wanted to at least fish the bay in the kayak this week.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Like Cuervo said, it's been discussed in several threads.

There are a few things at fault here:
1) this new format. I'd say it sucks, but I won't do that, cause I'm a nice guy. It must be what the owner wanted, because it's still here after multiple comments over several months on how it sucks. I'm sure if there was some sort of measurable connection between the new format and a drop off in participation they would change it back to something that doesn't suck. So that must not be it. All kidding aside, I just haven't been able to adjust to the look of it, it's hard to read, we don't have the info on the other posters like we used to - blah blah blah. I'm an old guy, and I don't like change. I want my old tkf back - and I know that's not happening. So I just don't log on anymore. I used to be a multiple time a day guy (didn't we all...), and I think today is the first time I've logged on in a week or two.
2) what Cuervo said. The neighborhood has changed, the social network entrepreneurs use all the free publicity they can find (like from old style boards like tft) to channel traffic to their sites. And apparently it's ok to plug your video's or whatever on here at will. I remember when even the sponsors of the board were very careful to keep selling anything to the right forum. I don't take offense, so no one needs to answer for what they do - but it just changes the nature of this place to something it wasn't. There was a time when some folks posted an idea to meet for a cocktail at a mexican place down on 146 one Saturday, and about 30 of us showed up, just to chat and drink and have fun. Now that would be sponsored by someone's web site and video's of our gathering would be on youtube.
3) some of the guys who used to post all the time are gone. I don't know why - maybe 1) and 2) above, or fb, or some other reason. The board misses them.
4) Social Media overload. And info overload. There was a time when this was The Place to find out about paddle strokes, gear, places to fish (I remember Ray Crawford putting his maps online for people to see good places to put in), etc. Now just google your question to your phone and it will tell you what sort of kayak to buy and where...
5) People don't crave the connection to others of the same ilk they used to. Or maybe they get it elsewhere (see 4) above).

oh well, change is the way of the world. I used to really like reading the newspaper too.
Luber

Post by Luber »

After reviewing posts on this website over the years, I just recently got around to creating an account and making a few comments on some posts. But some of my comments have taken several days to get reviewed and by the time they do go through, I am no longer interested in the discussion.

Not even sure if this one will make it up there as the last one I typed addressing this issue got rejected because of this:
"The message contains links to illegal or pirated software.."

There was definitely nothing illegal in my text. But I don't know I guess that's just a way of picking on the new guy or something?
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Chief Brody wrote:.......
4) Social Media overload. And info overload. There was a time when this was The Place to find out about paddle strokes, gear, places to fish (I remember Ray Crawford putting his maps online for people to see good places to put in), etc. Now just google your question to your phone and it will tell you what sort of kayak to buy and where...
I agree with your entire post Chief Brody, especially #4. A lot is information overload! And like you said (in other words) $$$$

To be honest, besides not having to much to post about recently as I stated earlier in this topic, the last 3 or 4 posts I made seem to be ignored except for maybe 1 or 2 people. Maybe my rantings about my trips fishing just aren't interesting enough to warrant a reply. I don't know. I know I do tend to be long winded, but I just love talking about fishing and the outdoors.
June 30th this year will be 3 years since I joined this group. And 3 years ago I could post a fishing trip and get 20 replies/acknowledgements about it. Now, maybe 2.
I just posted a fishing / camping trip report 2 days ago and got 2 acknowledgements. Thank you Cuervo and thank you Yakety_Yak!! I wasn't even going to post it until this topic came up. I thought hey, why don't I go ahead and post my trip report and contribute to the sight again.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Cuervo Jones wrote:I can't be the only one who watches weather forecasts, looks at tide tables, checks lunar cycle, and then just goes fishing when I get a day off...can I?
When did everyone get so wimpy?!
I remember a day when I went fishing whenever I had the time, no matter the conditions. If no longer beating my head against that wall makes me wimpy in the eyes of others, so be it :lol: "I'll pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Good one Yaklash!

And by the way, I am a wimp! I watch the weather and tides and only go when I think conditions would be best. But then again I still get windblown. I still get stuck in shallow water marshes. I have rain pouring down my back and on my punk'in head. And then on top of everything else I get skunked from time to time. I am a happy wimp! :D
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

I still think the underlying issue is the demographics of the kayak fishing industry. It would be interesting to see how this segment of the kayak industry is doing. Is it still growing at the pace it was 10 years ago? What is the age breakdown of participants? Are sub-segments (saltwater/freshwater) growing at the same pace? Is one sub-segment maturing faster than the other? It has been my observation that this forum is saltwater heavy. There are other forums that are freshwater heavy. The posts have dropped but have the views dropped as well? I don't know the answer to that. How does the TKF veiw/post ratio compare to other forums? Are other kayak forums experiencing the same issues (my observation is yes). Are other fishing forms experiencing the same issues (my observation is no).

Other notes:

I have never had a post rejected or deleted. I have had posts that did not go through but then I usually re-post. If a post has been rejected or deleted I suggest you take it up with the moderator. At least get an answer.

When I first started posting, my posts were delayed. that was supposed to happen for the first 5. When I discovered that it was still happening after the first 10 I addressed it with the powers that be and it was corrected.

I don't think the change in format is the primary reason for the drop as it was occurring before the change. There are things that I don't like about the change and there are things I do like. After the change I started using Tapatalk most of the time to interact with the forum. Management has stated the change was mandated by the service provider. We can look forward to the next iteration.

I don't think the weather is a primary issue either. I am on other forums that are coastal in nature and have not seen the same issues even though they deal with the same weather.

There are some very helpful people on this forum and I thank you for helping me over the last few years.

Just my 2 pennies.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Cityfisher wrote:
Chief Brody wrote:.......
I just posted a fishing / camping trip report 2 days ago and got 2 acknowledgements. Thank you Cuervo and thank you Yakety_Yak!! I wasn't even going to post it until this topic came up. I thought hey, why don't I go ahead and post my trip report and contribute to the sight again.
I dig your posts. Most reports are pretty lean on good writing or photos. And as a rule I don't comment on those with stringers of stiff, dead fish. You, karstopo, surfpunk, and a few others consistently post the types of reports that get me fired up. Glad you take the trouble to do so.

TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I've been watching this thread, and agree with almost everything posted. The new formats sucks with sharp teeth, and probably discourages posting.
I have noted in the Kayaks & Gear classified section, there's lot of activity, and recently, lots of Want to Buy posts. It seems there is a lot of new and/or different interest in kayaks for fishing. Probably healthy for the industry, as a whole. Maybe this Forum will return to it's former helpful and informative status.

TexasJim
krfish

Post by krfish »

I don't post much, but I try to check in atleast once a day. I have noticed the FB group gets a lot of traffic, but it's not always great content. I'd love to see more traffic, but I enjoy what we have.

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

There’s still a dribbling of posts from guys who only ask questions and never add content. Otherwise...MAN...there’s cobwebs and tumbleweeds lately.

The Fat Kid

Post by The Fat Kid »

7 Dog wrote:For me I used to visit TKF every day. Since the website changed, it is hard to read the faint print for me, and I now seldom visit. Wish they would go back as it was. :(
Yep. Not enough contrast and very hard to see.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Be careful what you wish for in a cabin fever type of way. Winter is coming around January 6 and 7.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Tombo wrote:Be careful what you wish for in a cabin fever type of way. Winter is coming around January 6 and 7.
So....a change in TKF format and/or appearance?
Hey, whatever it takes to get people posting actual content again.

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Not trolling on this, but "faint" text??? My eyes are worse than the next 4 guys put together but I can read the text on this site just fine.
osorojotx

Post by osorojotx »

Cuervo Jones wrote:There’s still a dribbling of posts from guys who only ask questions and never add content. Otherwise...MAN...there’s cobwebs and tumbleweeds lately.
I'm in the process of getting into paddling as I've been fishing saltwater for thirty years and want a better/new way to experience fishing. I've been soaking up as much knowledge as possible from others and have been visiting TKF daily for several weeks. In that time, I've noticed several "it ain't like it used to be 'round here" and "this forum is quiet" posts/comments.

Nothing says the forum is dead/dying like longstanding members declaring it so. When new members and lurkers read that, they're probably going to look elsewhere for interaction and information. There is obviously a lot of incredible knowledge here and I think people are looking for that and meaningful interaction. I'm currently looking for a used kayak and the boats are moving pretty quickly so I have to believe that there are still a lot of people picking up the hobby. Just speaking for myself- if I'm learning the forum and see multiple posts of people complaining about content and the comments, it makes me hesitant to post.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I'm going to say the photobucket ransom has done more damage to internet bulletin boards than anything else.
Most of the archived photos became hidden, people had to find new photoservers, etc.
In the past, this forum has been the greatest kayak resource anywhere on the internet.
But especially, it's the loss of the archives - Rigging, fly patterns, etc. - that's the biggest hit.
On several spots on the forum, I've posted links to free Chrome and Firefox Add-Ons that will automatically let you see the original photobucket photo in context.
The biggest dearth I see is new kayakers asking for help.
I also see some unanswered threads on the forum with new kayakers asking for help.
If you want to see the board pick up, help them out.

Also be straight with people.
Us four and no more is like an unfriendly church.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

lagavulin62 wrote:On the other hand, the boards liberal on use of infractions attract a crowd.
While it attracts a crowd for a little while, they eventually get pissed at each other and they all leave because there isn't any drama anymore. Plus it's easy for guys to be 'keyboard' cowboys spouting off whatever they feel like while hiding behind a screen name while in person they'll be as nice as kittens. Outside of that there should be honesty and openness and people helping each other learn.

I agree with Karstopo and others about fishing reports.. too many reports are "hey look at all the fish I caught' and not enough keys to the pattern that would help people hit that same pattern and pull off a limit or 2 of there own. I've always tried to fill in the gaps for people without giving away the 'X' spot.. unfortunately all giving away the spot does is typically hinder the fishing there. and 9 x's out of 10 the fish have moved a hundred or more yards away the next day anyway. A pattern and structure is really the best fishing report because while those fish won't be on the same spot, they will likely be on the same structure, depth, aggression, and lures. Good thread guys.

Seems like many are leaving forums for social media sites as well.. I'm not sure they get what they want there either.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

I am going to point to an elephant in the room and say that it is in best interests of many to not "overheat" kayak fishing. There are already quite a lot of kayakers out there and I would not mind these numbers to come down a bit. I understand Tobin makes a bit of money selling his (admittedly awesome) products, but from my standpoint I like solitude and catching.... maybe with a friend or even two. But not with 15 like it was last weekend at Churchill Bayou.

So, yeah -- there is this point of view...
The Fat Kid

Post by The Fat Kid »

Crusader wrote:I am going to point to an elephant in the room and say that it is in best interests of many to not "overheat" kayak fishing. There are already quite a lot of kayakers out there and I would not mind these numbers to come down a bit. I understand Tobin makes a bit of money selling his (admittedly awesome) products, but from my standpoint I like solitude and catching.... maybe with a friend or even two. But not with 15 like it was last weekend at Churchill Bayou.

So, yeah -- there is this point of view...
I don't fish churchill anymore because of the crowd. If you launch at Amigo and you forgot something, it's no big deal. You can just walk from yak to yak back to the launch to get it.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Based on the numbers of kayaks and kayakers out there, I’d bet 98% of the people never share anything on any board about anything fishing related. The three main folks I have kayaked with over the years have never posted anything on any board with the exception of one guy sharing a few photos on instagram. Occasionally, one of the guys will lurk on another site.

I enjoy thinking about fishing, talking about fishing, sharing and reliving experiences and like to read or hear about others ideas and experiences about fishing. Interest boards like TKF are nice because there’s ongoing discussions and experiences being shared and I can drop in and out when I have the time or inclination. This is very unlike a real meeting where I’m confined to a chair at such and such time for x and often seemingly an infinite amount of time with little hope of an easy escape. Here, if something doesn’t interest me, I move on. Real meeting, if the speaker doesn’t get my attention, I’m generally fidgeting and/or nodding off in short order.

TKF is A okay. It may not win the beauty contest, but it still has a better personality than the other boards I’ve seen. You don’t have to know the secret handshake like some other places and there’s isn’t really anyone here that persists and that’s just waiting and looking for a chance to pounce on the weakest member of the herd. I’ll take quiet, polite, reserved and dependable over psycho, clubby and angry any day of the week.