New User Intro - 7 Months In

TooOldForThis

New User Intro - 7 Months In

Post by TooOldForThis »

Howdy All,

Quick introduction. My name is Matt and I'm a relatively new kayak angler living in Alvin. I'm not really that old, but I felt that way when I started doing this at 40+. I have been "fishing" my entire life in a sense. I've done quite a bit of guided fishing in the bays, guided bass fishing, pond fishing, nearshore trips in North Carolina, Florida and Hawaii along with surf/pier/jetty fishing in the Atlantic and along the Gulf Coast.

I think what I do now is much more to the spirit of the game though as I'm going out to find fish based on conditions, water quality, structure, cover, and all the other good things that go into fishing. Last October, I inherited a Tarpon 140 (with rudder) that had been purchased new and never utilized 10 years ago. Along with the gear I used for redfish on guided trips, and what I've been able to pick up using online resources, I've become mildly productive. I'm an avid night fisherman as I have, like many, a more than full time job, a wife and a few young children. If I want to catch fish, it's on my time, and I try to make it out at least 3 times a week, with one day that will include 10+ miles of paddling because I am really enjoying having the core and arm strength and stamina that I haven't had in 20 years!

I have fished one tournament in this time, the Saltwater Survival Series redfish tournament out of Louis' Bait Camp. I didn't do well in the tournament, but I did catch a redfish on a tough day and paddled 12 miles in windy conditions (this is where I start to feel "Too Old For This"). At this point, I am looking for a new yak for inshore fishing that is stable enough to stand up in - something that's smaller, with a comfortable seat, that's lighter, and that I can pedal backwards. That's a fight between a Radar 115, a Manta Ray 12 Propel, and a Slayer 12 LT at the moment. I may be able to be talked into a Hobie Outback, but I think it's still a heavy yak, and going in reverse while fighting a fish seems less likely with the fins.

As a fisherman, I'm not married to anything really - except that I fish artificial when fishing for slot redfish, flounder and trout when I'm in my kayak. With the kids from the shore, a beach, or a pier, then it's live shrimp, live fin fish, or large cut mullet. If I can't move, then I've got to get something that'll bring the fish to me :)

I like spinning and casting reels and use them relatively interchangeably. I'm leaning towards braid, but have reasons I like and use mono as well, and I'm ambivalent about fluorocarbon leaders.

I have waders, but don't use them. If it's too cold, I just don't go in the yak. If I lose some weight and get a gore-tex drysuit, I'll feel alright about that. I just don't wear anything that I don't feel comfortable swimming in. My thinking is straightforward on that, but I know everyone has their own thinking on the subject - if it's cold, I'll stay close to safety as I don't want to get stuck a few miles out and have to come back after turtling the yak in very cold weather - which has only happened once, and I was able to get back in properly, though I did take out a visicarbon pole (boo).

Wouldn't hurt if you guys have some tips on essential gear, but this is my normal load out.

* Werner Kalliste (Bent Shaft) Paddle
* First Aid Kit
* Extra Paddle
* PFD - worn at all times
* Ankle Strap - used at all times in open bays (not in marshes/limited current canals)
* Milk crate with 3 rod holders
* 4 Rods - 2 spinning, 2 casting -7' medium action
* (sometimes) Lawrence Hook 4 (could use some input on which map cards are good - just have base maps, and they provide no value)
* Fish Grips
* Landing net (upgrading soon to a true rubber net, not rubberized)
* Needle nose pliers
* 1/16 & 1/8 weedless hooks, 1/8 & 1/4 jig heads
* Dark Color, Natural color, Bright color paddle tails
* Extra leader
* Soft cooler with G2 & Cliff Bars
* Bug Spray
* Sunscreen
* Hat (full brim)
* Sunglasses
* Head Lamp
* Hand torch
* Flag/light (yak attack viscarbon)
* (sometimes) Yak Attack 8' Stake Out pole
* Two extra bait casters
* Extra GPS
* Compass
* Multiple whistles (on yak, and in vest)
* Check it board
* Knife
* Fishing license
* Wallet - in pelican case
* Keys - attached to vest
* Extra ropes
* (sometimes) Anchor and cord
* Variety of corkies, vudu shrimp, popping corks, spoons, swivels, weights (for Carolina rigs), spinner baits in a few plastic tackle boxes that I rarely if ever use. Only thing I've pulled out recently that was odd for me was a softdine, and it was great when I was getting some rejections on my jigs.

It's summer time, and I want to go BTB, but that isn't happening without four things, so I may save that for next summer.

* A very long anchor rope in case I need to stop a drift for some reason.
* A PLB
* VHF with extra batteries
* A fellow kayaker or two

See you out there!
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: New User Intro - 7 Months In

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Welcome aboard the TKF forum. Sounds like this is definitely not your first rodeo. Look forward to seeing some of your posts of successful trips.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Don't be shy. Post up some trip reports with photos. Happy paddling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TooOldForThis

Post by TooOldForThis »

Absolutely will do , thanks. As a "small" report - I fished lights in moderate current on Friday night (starting at midnight) and was on a 12-14" speck bite that was hard to give up because it was fun, but only pulled 4 15"+ fish out of 51 caught, and only one "Matt" keeper (16"+). I kept hitting lights until there was not a hit from a small spec, and came across a nice flounder. Took a long paddle out to some oyster reefs at sunrise and picked up a few under-slot reds. One of them was a very pretty multi-spot fish that was about 18.5 inches. I should have retied my leader after so much action that night, but I got lazy and lost a red because of it. Most fish, and all three species, were caught on a green hornet Matrix shad.
2017_06_02_001_tkf.jpg
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

wow, that's quite an introduction. Welcome aboard bro.

One thing, don't overlook wade fishing from your yak. Many times once you find some fish, you can better target them from wading. Park the kayak on a shore nearby and wade back in and work them over being more specific.

In winter, your right to be more careful. Watch the forecast and pick your days carefully and you'll be fine. Some of the best fishing all year.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I like kayak fishing. I like the exertion of it, maybe pushing myself some, paddling hard. Lot of freedom in it, go where your paddle will take you. I'm approaching 55 years old and there are days I am far from the launch and I just want to keep going and not be on a schedule or have to ever come back.

The best thing about fishing is that you can do it on your own terms. You don't have to satisfy anyone but yourself. TKF is a good place to see what people are doing and get some ideas or share an experience. The possibilities almost seem infinite. It's a pretty nice bunch here. More live and let live, than my way or the highway prevailing attitude. That can't be said for every forum board out there.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Glad to see someone discover the joys of kayak fishing. In my opinion, there are few other forms of fishing that allow us the opportunity to enjoy nature so up close and personal, go where the damned power boats can't go, catch fish in as near to their own habitat as possible, enjoy the freedom of not having to depend on others or on mechanical devices as a method of propulsion, and, to be able to give our muscles a safe and relatively comfortable work out.

Kayak fishing allowed me to vigorously continue my passion for fly fishing and kayaking until age 76. I kinda hit a darned debilitating physical wall then, and, my kayaking activities have waned somewhat since. But, oh, the wonderful friends met along the way, and, the memories of adventures past, but, not forgotten.

Sounds as if you are well equipped. Your present kayak is one of the best all around plastic boats and there is really no reason to replace it......,unless, you just want to.

I am a minimalist when it comes to kayak fishing. The less 'stuff' on board with me, the better. I never had more than one rigged rod topside, and maybe two back up rods stored below deck. A landing net just gets in the way, so, I switched to lip grabs (missed landing a few big flounder, but, I am a confirmed catch and releaser anyway).

I would never destroy the graceful lines of my kayaks by subjecting them to an uuugggly milk crate. My gear was broken down into small groups that nestled inside water proof tote bags. Other than immediately needed fishing lures, terminal gear, and, water, everything was stored below deck.

Beyond the breaker fishing in the Gulf of Mexico is reserved for the young, the very experienced, and, for those who do not value life
and limb as much as I do. Just my personal feeling about the subject from one who no longer has anything to prove to himself or others (my past is certainly not bereft of taking unnecessary risks).
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Welcome. Glad you found us and I look forward to hearing your reports. One thing I noticed, and I bet you have it, is a whistle. I've never been stopped and asked but I think you still have to have some type of hailing device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Welcome aboard. Like Tobin said wade from the yak. I do it 90% of the time.
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

That older Tarpon 140 has better glide and speed than the newer ones IMO. It is a gem. Don't get rid of it.

After awhile, I ditched the milk crate. I built a PVC rocket launcher for the rods, started carrying less tackle, and began using roll top drybags to hold my Plano lure boxes, some essential tackle, and a few bags of soft plastics. I hated that my tackle bags were always wet and crusty with salt. Drybags do the job and I wipe off the salt with a damp rag.

Peddle drive yak with reverse. IMO, an interesting feature but it is not necessary. After starting with a Tarpon 160i, I switched to a 16' Hobie Adventure. I fished out of the Hobie for many years. Not once, did I ever wish that I had a reverse. Why? It's because I carried a paddle and reverse is just a couple of simple backstrokes.

Hobie hulls are thicker than most and thus, they're a little heavier than other kayaks. Good news is with the mirage drive, weight is not an issue.

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Welcome aboard Mr. TooOldForThis! Sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on things so keep it coming!
Rsparrow

Post by Rsparrow »

If your looking at pre-owned Outbacks, yup no reverse. If your looking at new Outbacks, they do have reverse. I have a Radar 135, no pedals ...... yet ( Writing to Santa on a regular basis). They Radar is a very nice boat and I think will be awesome with the Helix Drive. Also have a 2015 Outback, only been out once..... that was enough to start my writing campaign to Santa. The mirage drive on the Hobie, is so smoooth and easy to use. Little effort allows you to scoot along nicely. Have fun shopping.... you have a list of quality boats.
JMS

Post by JMS »

Welcome aboard, sounds like your off to a great start. You mentioned the Radar 115, I've not paddled one but saw a video the other day pretty cool and looks like a peddle drive kayak you could actually paddle easily....Will test one next time I hit a demo day.....You mentioned an ankle strap is that so you are attached to the Yak. Again welcome aboard

krfish

Post by krfish »

Welcome! Sounds like you've got it going on. Looking forward to some reports.