kayak rudder????

Perelor

kayak rudder????

Post by Perelor »

hey everyone i m thinking of purchasing a kayak rudder system. i own a wilderness systems ride 135 and am wondering if its worth it?its seems as though they run in the upper 200 range, any recommendations for a cheaper route?
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Re: RE: kayak rudder????

Post by MobyYack »

Perelor wrote:hey everyone i m thinking of purchasing a kayak rudder system. i own a wilderness systems ride 135 and am wondering if its worth it?its seems as though they run in the upper 200 range, any recommendations for a cheaper route?
Do you usually paddle long distances? In my opinion if you're paddling less than a mile or two per trip than a rudder is not really all that necessary

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Perelor

Re: kayak rudder????

Post by Perelor »

Yeah I usually paddle a few miles out there when I hit up the bay.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Re: RE: Re: kayak rudder????

Post by MobyYack »

Perelor wrote:Yeah I usually paddle a few miles out there when I hit up the bay.
If that's the case then I would definitely install one. I would recommend one that's low-profile so that you don't get it hung up on fishing hooks or anything else

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I replied about 10 minutes ago, but I guess the reply-eating cloud got it.
My Pescador 12 tracks well without a rudder, but I put a side-mount Trolling Motor on it, and had to have a rudder to steer. I built one from aluminum sheet stock, some bolts, some stainless cable, and used the footpegs to steer with. It worked very well. I didn't keep the TM on the yak, as it was heavy and awkward. And, I would have had to get a title, registration, and all that hassle. I put the motor back on my power skiff.
The rudder helps a lot when you are paddling in a cross-wind, and helps you keep a straight(er) track. And, when you're on your way back to the launch, downwind in a breeze(if you planned your route right), you can steer with the rudder, and paddle very little.
I wouldn't have spent $200 for a rudder, but my $20 one works great! Good luck!
TexasJim
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

get the Wilderness Systems rudder for your boat

jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

I have a 135 and I like the rudder. When you are moving and fishing the rudder can make small course corrections without picking up the paddle. Get the one designed for it.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Also, put locktite on the screws. Mine tend to work loose.
1alextorres
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Pasadena, Texas 77502 and any where my kayaks can go.

Re: RE: Re: kayak rudder????

Post by 1alextorres »

jnd1959 wrote:Also, put locktite on the screws. Mine tend to work loose.
I had the same problem but I place Teflon nuts on all my hardware. No problems ever since

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I have the current Ride 135 and I put the rudder on it; same as all my kayaks. In a straight line into or down wind the Ride paddles just fine. However, due to its high freeboard (meaning it has a lot of kayak above the waterline) when quartering or paddling perpendicular to wind the kayak gets pushed. It doesn't weather vane, it just gets push some. It's fairly subtle, but adding a rudder negates the effect.

Also, for fishing in general especially flats fishing, having a rudder is a great tool. It allows you to effectively drift a flat and make small adjustments to your drift. That's why all my kayaks have rudders. Not necessarily because they need them for paddling, but rudders, imho, are invaluable for fishing.
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

I've been using this one for a couple of years now with no problems.

http://a.co/b9YTQN4
That's an Amazon link.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Perelor: When Neumie speaks, LISTEN!

TexasJim
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I did just fine for years without a rudder, or so I thought. Now, with my third kayak that has a rudder, I kick myself for not getting one on the second kayak
SnookAg

Post by SnookAg »

TexasJim wrote:I replied about 10 minutes ago, but I guess the reply-eating cloud got it.
My Pescador 12 tracks well without a rudder, but I put a side-mount Trolling Motor on it, and had to have a rudder to steer. I built one from aluminum sheet stock, some bolts, some stainless cable, and used the footpegs to steer with. It worked very well. I didn't keep the TM on the yak, as it was heavy and awkward. And, I would have had to get a title, registration, and all that hassle. I put the motor back on my power skiff.
The rudder helps a lot when you are paddling in a cross-wind, and helps you keep a straight(er) track. And, when you're on your way back to the launch, downwind in a breeze(if you planned your route right), you can steer with the rudder, and paddle very little.
I wouldn't have spent $200 for a rudder, but my $20 one works great! Good luck!
TexasJim
Do you sell those $20 rudders? I will take one! Image
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

If you are frugal, and a little bit handy, you can make one yourself. I've used aluminum as well as a WalMart cutting board. Never bothered with foot pedals as I primarily wanted it to act as a skeg, and to adjust my drift. All that takes is two lines run up forward to small, adjustable cleats.

richg99

p.s. I'd add a picture on this, but "Upload Files" doesn't seem to do anything.....
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Makzym0s

Post by Makzym0s »

This might save a couple bucks. The steep and cheap site tends to have some good finds every now and again
Perelor

Post by Perelor »

Thanks everyone for all the information. I'm going to go ahead and buy the kit for my wilderness ride. It seems like it will be worth the investment in the long run.
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Perelor wrote:Thanks everyone for all the information. I'm going to go ahead and buy the kit for my wilderness ride. It seems like it will be worth the investment in the long run.
You are not going to regret it... I broke a cable on mine recently and my first thought was "damn, now I gotta go home"Lol!
You will find it to be very valuable in different applications.
doug.bohn

Post by doug.bohn »

I like simplicty. Tried a ruddred rental kayak from FTU once and found it cumbersome and distracting. My thought is to go rent one and try it out. It would cost less and possibly save you some unessary $ and effort.

my yak is a 14' Heritage, fishing mostly West Galveston, Chocolate, Drum Bays.