Ship Channel Flounder

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Ship Channel Flounder

Post by kickingback »

Gonna have a break in the weather tomorrow and there will be one of the highest tidal coefficient for the month so I thought I would try my luck near the ship channel for flounder. Gonna launch at Houston Bait and Tackle near Causeway and make my way around the channel system to SWP and back. Will be an all nighter to late morning or early afternoon and plan on bottom bouncing bucktails.
Eating my Wheaties now and getting some needed sleep before hand. Will post results.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Re: RE: Ship Channel Flounder

Post by MobyYack »

kickingback wrote:Gonna have a break in the weather tomorrow and there will be one of the highest tidal coefficient for the month so I thought I would try my luck near the ship channel for flounder. Gonna launch at Houston Bait and Tackle near Causeway and make my way around the channel system to SWP and back. Will be an all nighter to late morning or early afternoon and plan on bottom bouncing bucktails.
Eating my Wheaties now and getting some needed sleep before hand. Will post results.
I've had really good results off the actual channel inlet on the south side and soccer park but fishing around the actual ship channel area was a little dicey with all the industrial stuff. Be careful and take a friend

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Ship Channel Flounder

Post by kickingback »

Thanks. Been watching the traffic from some bank locations and it looks good. Not sure where the inlet south or soccer field is? Got a map or GPS spot?
I wanted to hit the channel before the island bridge and then the north side of main channel between islands in shallows in the early morning. I was catching flounder the other day at 3 and 4 am with tides.
Going alone right now. Never can find anyone with the same stamina as me to stay out 12-15 hours at a pop. But I always carry my phone and VHF radio and provide my family with my route using http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ so they always know where I am going to be. I seldom deviate and if I do I call ahead.
Thanks again.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Re: RE: Re: Ship Channel Flounder

Post by MobyYack »

kickingback wrote:Thanks. Been watching the traffic from some bank locations and it looks good. Not sure where the inlet south or soccer field is? Got a map or GPS spot?
I wanted to hit the channel before the island bridge and then the north side of main channel between islands in shallows in the early morning. I was catching flounder the other day at 3 and 4 am with tides.
Going alone right now. Never can find anyone with the same stamina as me to stay out 12-15 hours at a pop. But I always carry my phone and VHF radio and provide my family with my route using http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ so they always know where I am going to be. I seldom deviate and if I do I call ahead.
Thanks again.
Follow the main ship channel along the south jetty and you get to a flat near a beach type area along Boddicker Road. if you're really careful you can launch from there as long as you avoid the Wakes from the big ship going along the channel. you would also have to cross the main Galveston channel to get across to the Seawolf area that you're talking about so that might be a little dicey too.

MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Ship Channel Flounder

Post by MobyYack »

MobyYack wrote:
kickingback wrote:Thanks. Been watching the traffic from some bank locations and it looks good. Not sure where the inlet south or soccer field is? Got a map or GPS spot?
Thanks again.
Follow the main ship channel along the south jetty and you get to a flat near a beach type area along Boddicker Road. if you're really careful you can launch from there as long as you avoid the Wakes from the big ship going along the channel. you would also have to cross the main Galveston channel to get across to the Seawolf area that you're talking about so that might be a little dicey too.

There's also a path on the right side of the road as you approach Seawolf Park that you could drag your kayak down to a launch point as well

MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Ship Channel Flounder

Post by MobyYack »

MobyYack wrote:
Thanks again.

ImageImage

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Thanks Moby! I see now. I will be launching from the causeway and fishing the ship channel from the area around Pelican Island Bridge going to SWP down the channel to SWP. Not too bad in there most times. Still have to watch out but not like that hairy area over where you are talking between the jetties and big tankers. Still deep in there for the flatties. Not too many fish it though.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: RE: Re: Ship Channel Flounder

Post by MobyYack »

kickingback wrote:Thanks Moby! I see now. I will be launching from the causeway and fishing the ship channel from the area around Pelican Island Bridge going to SWP down the channel to SWP. Not too bad in there most times. Still have to watch out but not like that hairy area over where you are talking between the jetties and big tankers. Still deep in there for the flatties. Not too many fish it though.
My best flounder day came wade fishing right by that Boddicker pin

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I got another itch last night and could not help my self. Now I will sleep today and MAYBE go tonight again. Decided to fish the lights and West Bay. The wind was a pain last night and this morning. Other than that it was a very eventful night at all lights especially the causeway. Had a bit of rain but I figured I was gonna get wet anyway.
Caught lots of fish, especially trout, but only kept the red for dinner at a little over 23". Largest trout about 19" and the one flounder was right at 13".

and another red pic. Didn't want to keep pulling out my phone for the trout....hehe