Bay vs. Surf

rgrayson

Bay vs. Surf

Post by rgrayson »

A friend and I are taking the yaks out tomorrow to West Bay and were planning on working the bayside. However, there's a strong north wind. I was thinking the surf as a plan B. Anyone know how the surf fishing has been lately or have any advice for this time of year? Magic seaweed says the waves will be around .8 ft high or so.
lagavulin62

Re: Bay vs. Surf

Post by lagavulin62 »

Based on my sources tomorrow afternoon and into Sunday shows a little promise for the surf, although I wouldn't use kayaks. Tomorrow morning I would stick to plan A.

Last Sat seemed like the perfect time for the surf as it was like glass. Never seen it that nice. Unfortunately the tides were off, just very little bait and all I caught as one hardhead. And for the real report nobody else caught anything either as prr my observations while on the water and from other boards.

Hopefully you will have better luck.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

The surf ought to be fish able for wading tomorrow morning, wave wise. Tide will be at its peak just after day break. Green water might be right to the sand early.

I got out late last Saturday morning when it was super calm. My neighbors scratched out 3-4 keepers on paddle tails between 7-8 am on a falling tide. By the time I got out at 9:30, the little bite seemed to be over. At about 10:30, a large raft of semi nervous mullet breezed by and my neighbor pulled a 4# trout from underneath on a spoon. I had a solid hit on a fly. After that, the activity died off.

You can always bring along the kayak and if the surf isn't firing off then hit the bay. I did that last weekend, but got in a time crunch so I didn't launch the kayak.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Bay vs. Surf - the "Boilers"

Post by CaptJack »

when we plan on fishing the surf we still go to the "Boilers"
in the old days the stack to the boiler of the Acadia still stuck out above the water
great structure along the 3rd sand bar

lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

That's a pretty interesting story Captain Jack. I did not know that. Several years ago I read a book about the Battle of Sabine Pass. They did mention some the role of Galveston during this time. Of course this was in 1863, but as a former Civil War nut, (I still am, just not "active" so to speak) I wouldn't mind researching this. I just had no idea I'd been driving by history all this time. At the time I was living in New Jersey so the eastern theater was my love, then again Naval battles never did much for me. Now as I age it seems quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

lagavulin62 wrote:That's a pretty interesting story Captain Jack. I did not know that. Several years ago I read a book about the Battle of Sabine Pass. They did mention some the role of Galveston during this time. Of course this was in 1863, but as a former Civil War nut, (I still am, just not "active" so to speak) I wouldn't mind researching this. I just had no idea I'd been driving by history all this time. At the time I was living in New Jersey so the eastern theater was my love, then again Naval battles never did much for me. Now as I age it seems quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.
http://www.texasescapes.com/DEPARTMENTS ... Acadia.htm

The Brazoria County Historical Museum in Angleton has some artifacts from the Acadia and a nice research collection on some of the history from this period.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

There was at least one good report from the surf yesterday from a buddy of mine. Limited on upper teen trout in the surf.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

karstopo wrote:
lagavulin62 wrote:That's a pretty interesting story CaptJack. I did not know that. Several years ago I read a book about the Battle of Sabine Pass. They did mention some the role of Galveston during this time. Of course this was in 1863, but as a former Civil War nut, (I still am, just not "active" so to speak) I wouldn't mind researching this. I just had no idea I'd been driving by history all this time. At the time I was living in New Jersey so the eastern theater was my love, then again Naval battles never did much for me. Now as I age it seems quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.
http://www.texasescapes.com/DEPARTMENTS ... Acadia.htm

https://deadconfederates.com/2014/09/23 ... s-aground/

The Brazoria County Historical Museum in Angleton has some artifacts from the Acadia and a nice research collection on some of the history from this period.
thanks for the links
Great read