Galveston - Texas City Dike / Moses Lake

05madmax

Galveston - Texas City Dike / Moses Lake

Post by 05madmax »

My buddy and I have decided to hit these two areas but more than likely from the shore.

Any tips or pointers?

Also I have a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120. Considering the lake how stable is would this kayak be out there if I did want to put in at the lake?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Galveston - Texas City Dike / Moses Lake

Post by Yaklash »

All along the levee wall, the bank fishing is going to be from rocks. Sort of like fishing jetties except they aren't smooth, flat rocks. It is rip-rap, but I still walk over it to get to that water to wade fish. Flounder and trout patrol that levee shoreline, but only the flounder are commonly found within casting distance of the rocks. Trout tend to be out deeper. I've never caught reds there, but have seen a few loners fall to some cut bait.

At the flood gates, fishing outside, you will lose lots of baits/rigs. Lots of rocks and the current seems to push your bait into the rocks. But there are some hoss trout out there. Inside the gates has more shoreline where you can spread out and cast into the channel flow from the shore and catch fish. You will have company on weekends.

Assuming you've paddled your Tarpon, you are aware that it isn't as stable as some of the more "Stand-up" worthy kayaks so popular these days. Otherwise, Tarpons are great. As long as you stay away from the actual gate itself, where the tide flowing in and out is challenging to even power boats, you'll be fine.
05madmax

Post by 05madmax »

Yea I've paddled it and agree great for speed and cutting water not so much for standing. Have to really watch my balance when reaching for stuff behind me

05madmax

Post by 05madmax »

Any thoughts on weights to use for this weekend from the dike? Looks like 15moh winds

TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

??? for jigheads? I'd probably always start with a 1/8th.