Cotton vs. Polyester

Gun Doc

Cotton vs. Polyester

Post by Gun Doc »

I have a question for the collective saltwater brain trust. For years, I have used Columbia 100% cotton long-sleeved fishing shirts. I don't remember the model, but it is the ubiquitous one with the large, multi-layer, Velcro closed pockets. They haven't proven to be as durable as I would like, but otherwise they have served me well. In addition, cotton has traditionally been the choice for hot weather, sun blocking shirts, while polyester has been said to not "breathe well."

Now, it seems as if all I can find for long-sleeved fishing shirts are 100% polyester shirts, be they Columbia or the house brand Magellan.

What has your experience been with these polyester shirts compared to the older cotton ones as far as comfort, sun blocking and durability?

Thanks so much for any replies.
flyflinger

Re: Cotton vs. Polyester

Post by flyflinger »

I like cotton. It just feels more comfortable to me
than polyester or nylon. You are correct in that
cotton does seem harder to find now days.
osojet

Post by osojet »

Used to be die hard cotton fan. These new materials dry so fast and are so cool..I never wear cotton anymore. I always wear long pants/long sleeves/buff and a big hat. Always feel cool. I even use all my fishing wear for yard work....except for the wading boots!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I always like 100% cotton except in cold weather or if I'm swimming and staying constantly wet. It is getting hard to find 100 percent cotton in fishing shirts. Synthetics have come some way and don't quite have that major heat retaining quality and stiffness that they used to have. I still think cotton feels cooler and more comfortable on skin. Some of the tight fitting, athletic cut synthetics are my least favorite. I've found they tend to pull at my hair and restrict movement in odd ways. My experience is that the brand with the initials UA is the very worst for comfort, but that might be about how it is cut and the sizing and form than the actual fibers in the shirt. I've found most of the Magellan and Columbia synthetic fishing shirts are pretty good. They seem to fit me better than some other popular brands.
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

I love my polyester fishing clothes. The only cotton on my boat is the rag I clean my glasses with and my underwear. When I have my long sleeve shirts on, it feels comparable to sitting in the shade. If I get a little too warm I can just splash a water on the sleeves and it evaporates so fast it cools you down pretty quick.(for a really fast cool down just use ice on your wrists.(Your arms are the body's radiator)
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

osojet wrote:Used to be die hard cotton fan. These new materials dry so fast and are so cool..I never wear cotton anymore. I always wear long pants/long sleeves/buff and a big hat. Always feel cool. I even use all my fishing wear for yard work....except for the wading boots!
I agree with all of this and would add that the new materials come clean a lot easier. My old cotton stuff got pretty dirty, including some blood stains that wouldn't budge.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

karstopo wrote: ....Some of the tight fitting, athletic cut synthetics are my least favorite. I've found they tend to pull at my hair and restrict movement in odd ways. ....
:lol: I am not a very hairy person, yet I came to this same irritating conclusion. The irritation on my arms was maddening. Gave the one I had to one of my nephews who loves it and has purchased a few more. Maybe an age thing or a body hair thing.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

I have gone fully to the synthetic side! I sweat a lot and for me cotton gets wet and heavy and stays that way in this humidity. The synthetics do not. They are much better than years ago when the synthetics seemed to be much warmer. I also cover fully due to some skin cancer issues and the synthetics are a much more comfortable way to do that for me.

A recommendation – if you want synthetic T-shirts, either long or short sleeved, then check out the Hanes product. It is cut a bit larger than the Columbia, which I like, but the biggest benefit is the price – their cool dri performance T – normally $10, now on sale for $6.99 ($15 / $9 long sleeved). I wait for these sales and stock up a few. 50 UV block also
Gun Doc

Post by Gun Doc »

Thanks to all the respondents for their replies. Your taking time to answer is appreciated!

What I seem to be hearing so far is that while some still prefer cotton, some are quite happy with the newer polyesters, and in fact some prefer them. My takeaway is that polyester must have improved as there is no longer universal disdain. In fact, far from it.

I have been quite happy over the years with the common vented-back, long sleeved shirts with big pockets. I like the storage and the loose fit, usually buying a size larger than I really need for paddling, poling, and casting without binding. I don't like having to use a lot of sunscreen, but I did have a run in with Melanoma years ago. So, I pay attention to covering up and using sunscreen where I cannot use clothing to cover.

So I guess I will give one of the polyester versions a try. If I don't like it, then the search will be on to source the harder to get 100% cotton.

I would welcome any additional thoughts and replies. Thanks again, so much.
fillius nullius

Post by fillius nullius »

Don't forget the gloves. I have a pair of Fish Monkey gloves, half finger. Awesome. 50 UPF. I'm not positive on the material. I know it is a synthetic blend though.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

In my mind the answer doesn't have to be so black and white. I love the feel of cotton and will use it next to my skin when I can, especially in the cooler months. With that said I usually switch to polyester type, long sleeve t-shirts when the temps start rising (say above 75 degrees - just depends on sun, wind and precipitation). I also bring at least one poly type shirt along on most trips as an extra layer (poly shirts are compact and pack easily).

I do find though that the polyester materials hold the heat (adding water helps as has been suggested - like dipping your arms and letting the water evaporate). And because of the heat, I also use cooling bandannas or evaporation towels in the summer - which work very well by the way.
Last edited by Drifting Yak on Thu May 11, 2017 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

And one other thing - as for finding long sleeve shirts - Google "Gildan Long Sleeve Shirts" - Gildan's Ultra Cotton is great and they are usually very reasonable.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Cotton versions of the more commonly preferred fishing shirts are still readily available

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Bonehea ... ts+for+men
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

Any tried the bamboo fabric shirts or shorts?
eightweight

Post by eightweight »

Nylon, only nylon. It's quick drying, UPF 30, it breaths, it's soft, and it wears forever. A bit more expensive than polyester, but you only need one good fishing shirt.

Great sale on Columbia Bahama II

http://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-bahama ... As&start=4