Saturday - South Galv. Jetty

FwistedTucker

Saturday - South Galv. Jetty

Post by FwistedTucker »

With the winds predicted at around 5kts, I was going to check out the end of the South jetty in Galveston. Looking on Navionics there's an interesting rise just past the jetty with a dome that's 13 feet deep surrounded by 40ft of water. Anyone care to join? I'll probably launch near sun up.

FT
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Saturday - South Galv. Jetty

Post by Yaklash »

Regardless of winds, the ends of the jetties and the boat cut on the N jetty are not to be taken lightly due to serious current flow. I've seen power boats get in trouble in those areas and felt nervous myself in power boats going around the ends of the jetties. There are also likely to be a lot of boats anchored up along the jetties and paddling between them and the jetty would not be cool. Be safe, PFD obviously, and I would not recommend going without a buddy. It is not a short paddle. You might want to consider the Surfside jetties instead. Shorter, fewer boats (but more rock walkers), and just as many fish per mile of rocks.
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

Yaklash wrote:Regardless of winds, the ends of the jetties and the boat cut on the N jetty are not to be taken lightly due to serious current flow. I've seen power boats get in trouble in those areas and felt nervous myself in power boats going around the ends of the jetties. There are also likely to be a lot of boats anchored up along the jetties and paddling between them and the jetty would not be cool. Be safe, PFD obviously, and I would not recommend going without a buddy. It is not a short paddle. You might want to consider the Surfside jetties instead. Shorter, fewer boats (but more rock walkers), and just as many fish per mile of rocks.
That's why I'm posting, Yaklash, looking for someone to go with. If no one joins I'll do Quintana to get some nearshore bites, but I'm interested in the structure at the Galveston jetty right now.
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

This is what I'm interested in...
https://goo.gl/photos/BVXHBik1fPynv1m2A
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

FwistedTucker wrote:This is what I'm interested in...
https://goo.gl/photos/BVXHBik1fPynv1m2A
Wow!! You could not pay me to venture there in a kayak. Please be careful. Serious washing machine currents combined with sea swells makes for some hairy water and fishing conditions.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I tried to fish that dome from a large Mako back in the 70's a few times. About the third time in flat conditions when a couple of waves breaking into the boat I resolved to never enter that stretch of water again. AND I HAVE NOT.
yangjianhunt

Post by yangjianhunt »

I fished quintana jetty once on a flat day. I was near the outer edge of the channel and suddenly there were three sets of big waves (2 ft tall) coming. Turned out they were caused by fast boats driving out the channel combined with the bottom elevation in that region.

Good luck and be safe.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

we have a group of at least 5 guys launching from either Appfel park or the beach on bodeccker road (wading up to the jetty and then crossing over the sand at the base to get into the pocket.
pm me if you wanna hook up
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

MobyYack wrote:we have a group of at least 5 guys launching from either Appfel park or the beach on bodeccker road (wading up to the jetty and then crossing over the sand at the base to get into the pocket.
pm me if you wanna hook up
Sent you one
fillius nullius

Post by fillius nullius »

Please update. Let us know how it goes.
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

fillius nullius wrote:Please update. Let us know how it goes.
Absolutely, this forum is all about knowledge sharing. Will post a report when we get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Would be a good day to fish from the jetties, but I wouldn't trust the topo lines they could be really old or maybe theyve been updates. The dangers of the end of both jetties are real like the others have said. I like to fish the jetties from about the2nd bar all the way to the 3rd or 4th. that's all thats needed for some good trout action.
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Would be a good day to fish from the jetties, but I wouldn't trust the topo lines they could be really old or maybe theyve been updates. The dangers of the end of both jetties are real like the others have said. I like to fish the jetties from about the2nd bar all the way to the 3rd or 4th. that's all thats needed for some good trout action.
Tobin, I will head the warnings from you and everyone else. I'm after more than trout though. After fishing the Port A jetties for years, I know the end holds big Mangies and Reds. Yes there are riptide currents at all jetties, and of course there will be swell when a 30ft decrease in depth happens so rapidly. These are very basic marine principles. I am going with some people and will turn around even if it's slightly unsafe.

FT
Canoe U '09
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

rather than wading up to the jetty from the bodeccker road beach weve decided to launch from the base of the jetty Iinside RA Apffel Park ...we should be there around 6:00 - 6;30
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

We did pretty good. Not much in the sand bars and ended up moving down the Jetty with MobyYack. We made it about half way down paddling around the many boats out there, and fishing in between them. Caught a 40" red on a DOA Swimming Mullet, 18" speck on a Live Target Mullet wakebait, and 6 sheepies on live or dead shrimp. Good day.

We didn't make it to the end, but two others that were with us did and verified that dome is there, and all was safe - no tragedies.

Pic of the red on IG: https://instagram.com/p/BTxS1ekDnSe/

fillius nullius

Post by fillius nullius »

Very nice fish.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

we got there around 7 due to the 45S shutdown. we parked at the free east beach parking. Caught the drum in the pic below in the cast net right when we got there. Surf was super glassy and wind was super calm. i never made it more than about halfway down the jetty. bait action was everywhere. we caught unlimited hardhead on deadshrimp bottom and carolina rigged. caught a 14in sheephead on the same. had two breakoffs. Pbers were catching the same on both sides of the jetty though I did see one 20in trout and another bull red caught by Pbers. Specks were hard to come by . Glad we had a chance to finally hit that jetty. might try the north jetty next time. tucker forgot to mention the cownose he hooked...we saw a group of three cownoses hunting around the jetty as we were leaving. hunting dolphins rudely cut us off as we paddled back to the launchpoint.
Cast net
Cast net
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

headed back to the south jetty tomorrow morning...5/14/17 630 am-ish
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

Report? Nice fish.
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

tastywavescoolbuzz wrote:Report? Nice fish.
Yeah, sorry for the delay, long day. We hit the surf a little after sunrise, and we skipped the surf and paddled out and hit the rocks not too far from the sandbars. I can't speak on the other three peoples' catches, but I got a 20" and 26" red and an 18" drum. When the bite dropped we moved up the rocks and I got 3 sheeps that were keeper and one under. Lots of gafftop out there. After a bit, the waves started to make me feel seasick while anchored so we all started paddling in. As we did and nearing the surf, saw birds working the sandbars. All of us threw in and we were catching specks and sand trout. Mixture of love shrimp and buck tails did it today. Pictures on IG (since I can't figure out how to post here): https://instagram.com/p/BUF79Kljfcs/

CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Sounds like a great outing....and nice pics!
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

so i was determined not to catch any gafftop or hardheads so i spent the day throwing a gold spoon that kept getting hit but no takers. I finally caught a larger sand trout and got a flounder in the cast net (two weeks in a row the cast net saves my a$$)...josh caught a couple pup sharks and stingray fishing out in the open water away from the jetty. daniel caught 3 trout near the jetty and another nicer speck trout under the bird action.
Skunk Saver - thank you cast net
Skunk Saver - thank you cast net
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

Sunday is projected at 5kts, will launch around sunrise. Any interested in joining?

-FT
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: RE: Re: Saturday - South Galv. Jetty

Post by MobyYack »

FwistedTucker wrote:Sunday is projected at 5kts, will launch around sunrise. Any interested in joining?

-FT
ill be there