richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Lure left in fish's mouth....wow!

Post by richg99 »

jnd1959

Re: Lure left in fish's mouth....wow!

Post by jnd1959 »

That's interesting. I had assumed jaw hooked fish would rid themselves of hooks fairly quickly but I always though gullet hooked would either not survive or the hook would Rust out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Well, the test was done with northern pike. Their jaws and mouths are pretty large. I'd guess a smallmouth bass or a speck wouldn't have the very same results. richg99
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Interesting, rich. A month ago, I was kayak fishing Lighthouse Lakes with a yellow popping cork and a shrimp lure. There was a flats boat with three guys in it fairly close by. In a few minutes, I saw a second yellow popping cork not far from mine. I thought at first it was one of the other fishermen's line. After watching a few minutes, I could see it wasn't. Apparently, a hooked fish broke off the line above the popping cork, and was swimming around with the gear attached. I tried to paddle quietly up to the cork and grab it, but the fish would pull it under and disappear for about five minutes, then I would spot the cork again many yards away. I kept trying to catch the cork with my line, but never did. I hope the fish eventually spit the hook.

Never a dull moment!

TexasJim
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Red fish are pretty tough. I have caught slot Reds that have hooks in their intestine that are completely encrusted with a blackish concretion. These are easily passed by the fish. Don't know about large Bull Reds because I have never kept one but I would think the same happens. I don't dig out deep gut hooked Reds. Prolly more damage and stress leaving them vulnerable to shark attack for an extended period.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

There are a LOT of hooks left in fish that don't have to be left at all.

The technique as shown on this video, from TX parks and Wildlife, really works. I've used it for a year or so now and, every time, I was able to easily get my hook out with little problem. richg99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGTL9RBG2s

p.s. The announcer talks and talks, but..... the important part starts just before the 3 minute mark.