What type of popping cork do you fancy

Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sight casting flounder potlicking Mt Stringer and Osochuck

What type of popping cork do you fancy

Post by Big Kahuna »

Been on a popping cork with lure kick here lately and was wondering which cork do you use. Cajun thunder, mid coast outcast, pencil cork, comal float, etc... or even color preface. I have been using a green Cajun thunder but have been intrigued by the mid coast products. I just can't get over how the line is attached and haven't seen any videos of folks catching with it.
JPS

Re: What type of popping cork do you fancy

Post by JPS »

I have tried a bunch of them and by far my favorite is Cajun Thunder. Casts well, easy to work and pops like a champ with the flick of the wrist.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Cajun Thunder for me, too. I have pink and yellow. I swear I catch more fish with the pink one.

TexasJim
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I have both Mid-Coast and Cajun Thunder. For a few reasons, none of which have to do with a scientific log of fish caught, I prefer the Cajun Thunder - durability and sound being the main two. I am not sure the fish care about the color, so I carry pink and yellow. In bright sunlight I see the pink better, but in low light I see the yellow better. Seeing at distance is important, because I usually use that set-up while drifting from a power boat. I can throw that rig a bloody mile and have missed hooksets cuz I couldn't see it go down.

Shapes. I think it was Troutsupport on a similar thread who wrote how one shape is better for trout and one better for reds. I can't remember for the life of me, so hopefully, he reads this thread and chimes in.
Ultrastealth
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ultrastealth »

I like the Cajun Thunder, but I don't like the weighted ones and the unweighted ones have crappy wire that bends and prevents the cork from sliding. To remedy this, I re-rig them with titanium wire that won't hold a bend. This seems to be the ticket.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I use small popping corks like the Cajun Thunder 3" slim cigar shaped version for small bait or lures and to not cause a big "splash" when landing near fish.
I use the larger 3" or 4" oval shaped for larger baits or adding weight to keep the bait down in the water if tides are moving fast.
I use the straight wire popping corks which lets the cork slide freely and more easily than the "flexible" wire or leader corks. The wire does bend if not taken care of but it can be bent back easily. I have corks I have used for over 2 or 3 years and the florescent paints have almost faded off but they still work with no paint just fine! LOL
Each cork has it's purpose. If you fish with a couple of different sizes over time you will see and feel the difference and use the one that best suits the area you are fishing in.
three21

Post by three21 »

I'm all about H&H 3" cone shaped corks with the stiff wire in orange. I've tried the Cajun Thunders and even keep a few in my box as back-ups, but have had more luck on the H&H for whatever reason. I prefer the chugging of the cup shape to only the rattling of the beads.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I would also add that in one application, I prefer original Mansfield Mauler shape - cigar??

That application being live bait under it for trout either at the jetties or under pier lights at night. The reason is that they offer very little buoyancy resistance when pulled under. I learned this years ago and you'd be surprised how many trout will spit the bait as soon as they feel a strong resistance. Also one reason on the bigger egg shaped poppers, that I prefer the weighted versions. That weight, in addition to increasing casting distance, offsets the buoyancy some.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Down in the Rockport area I use the H&H TKO float with the cigar float. I like the click it makes and it's made with a titanium wire so it doesn't kink as easily as others. H&H's website list it at $5.75, but I think they'r closer to $4 at Academy per float. I use then when drifting the flats with a DOA shrimp under them and targeting trout. With the clearer waters that I fish I'm not needing a lot of commotion on the surface, but if I were in the marsh or fishing grassy shorelines for reds I'd go with the popping style float for a bit more commotion.

For live bait I like the Alameda popping cork.
Bearwolf34

Post by Bearwolf34 »

Started out with the midcoast inticer, then picked up a bomber and a couple of cajun thunder corks.

I prefer the bomber as the wire is just about unbendable, next inline is the midcoast cork. Each of them will throw a mile.
JMS

Post by JMS »

I use which ever one I find while out fishing.....Currently Cajun Thunder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Mansfield Mauler all the way... lol... in the 80s they were my fav.. here's a funny story in the 80s I was a smoker while out one day my lighter got wet and i needed a cig.. so I cut the wire off a mauler put one end in positive side of battery and with a pair of needle nose pliers touched wire to neg. side of the battery, when the wire glowed red i lite my cig.. :mrgreen: :dance:
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

A year ago I only used Cajun Thunders but now I exclusively fish with titanium wire corks. The Titanium wire can't kink or get permanently bent so they are extremely durable and save money in the long run. I use either Bomber or the Bass Pro brand titanium corks. Both work great

TigerLandSportsman

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

SteeleKnight

Post by SteeleKnight »

I've had luck with the H&H TKO Float with 20" Monofilament tied to a 1/16 jighead with a 4" Gulp New Penny /chartreuse tail. Best of Luck and be patient. They'll come to it and when they do, be ready.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

One thing I do not like is if you are using braid, sometimes the braid line will get "wrapped" around the top of the cork when casting. The bigger "tie" for the corks like above have a lot of metal exposed that gets the braid line twisted up.
Another reason I use the Cajun Thunder small corks most of the time. The tie on at the top has the metal twisted tight to the tie hole having less metal to snag the braid.
Don't know if others have this issue but I do when I am fishing quickly like fishing birds.
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sight casting flounder potlicking Mt Stringer and Osochuck

Post by Big Kahuna »

Man good stuff. I was at academy last night and spent 10 mins going over popping corks. My wife looked at me and asked what I was doing. Told her about the topic and checking out all the cool popping corks. Shakes her head and goes get a pink one. Pink one catches fish. Hahah
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Back Bay Thunder series has given me very good service the last couple of years.
SuperShane

Post by SuperShane »

Bomber Paradise, The Wire will Not Bend which to me is the biggest downfall of other brands
ZLM81

Post by ZLM81 »

TigerLandSportsman wrote:Image

X2
krfish

Post by krfish »

I have been using mid coast corks for the last five years or so. I like their durability, and the guys who own the company are some nice people.