Need some advice

VcMathews

Need some advice

Post by VcMathews »

Been kayak fishing the lake and river near the house about an hour north of Houston want to start doing some bay fishing just wondering if there is anything in specific I might need and maybe even some launch points I was thinking maybe around the surfside area
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Need some advice

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Fellas, help this guy out.

For launch points I think Sonny Mills has a list on a map somewhere. That might help.

watch your winds on the coast and know what sort of wind you're REALLY going to have. For example.. a forecast that is for 10mph on a lake, that same day might have a 20mph wind on the coast.. might even be higher. Plus many times there isnt anywhere to get any protection from the wind.

for the rest of the info, i'll let the guys help you out.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

At Surfside drive on Bluewater Hwy (left after the bridge) until you see Beach Access #4, just past that are 2 kayak launches into the mid-upper section of Drum Bay on the left. You'll see the dirt roads headed toward the water. I have had some good day's catching there in the fall, it's hit or miss there, but it's very easy in and out and can be really enjoyable just to paddle and watch the birds. On up the hwy are 2 more kayak launches into Christmas Bay which is nice also. I've never really fished the lower Drum bay areas closer to the bridge but I know a lot do. Another good spot to explore is on Galveston Island @ Galveston Island State Park. That area is very kayak friendly and can be good fishing as well. Fish the grass beds and grassy shorelines on your way out and look for some white poles sticking out marking the Geotubes (artificial reefs) and fish around them. You may be able to see them above water if the tides are low. Look up the state park on the TPWD site and you can get a map of the 3 kayak launch points.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

As far as what you might need, really just depends on how you like to fish. I fish artificials exclusively so I just throw soft H & H cocaho paddle tails on a jig head, spinning baits (redfish magic), crank baits.... Really anything you would fish for bass with will work. Or just fish with shrimp under a popping cork or on the bottom just like for catfish. :)
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Most important tip I can give is to remind you that bay fishing generally offers more chances to get you into trouble than does lake and river kayaking. Always wear a life jacket. Be sure and have a basic first aid kit aboard. A vhf radio is a darn good idea. Check on the weather beforehand.

Wind on the coast is a major factor. Plan your trips, if at all possible, to head into the wind going, and, with the wind when returning.

Have fun. Be safe. And, enjoy what I'm certain will be a major enhancement to your kayaking adventures.
TigerLandSportsman

Post by TigerLandSportsman »

Tide is a factor to consider too.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

There are two camps on when or whether to fish. In one camp, they fish when they can or have planned to trip and in the other camp, they will not hesitate to cancel a trip if the conditions turn bad, or worse, turn dangerous. I was in camp 1 and now am in camp 2. As a young man, I fished whenever I could, regardless of the conditions. Many fruitless trips later, I either got smarter or just grew weary of long days of fishing dead water or coming home wind-beaten and fishless.

As said above, winds are very important, as is tide. But barometric pressure (too high, too low...) can give fish lock-jaw so bad that the best water and tide conditions won't mean a thing.

But as to tide. For all of the big 3 species - reds, trout and flounder - the vast majority of the fish you will catch on a given day will be caught while the tide is moving at the spot you're fishing. Obviously there will be exceptions, but generally speaking, and especially for flounder and trout, tide is critical.For this reason, the best advice I can give you is first read the tide charts, second, take into account how winds might affect the tides and three, learn to see or feel the tide where you are at. One way to accelerate your learning curve on this subject, are the Troutsupport DVDs. Contact Tobin and he can guide you to the perfect one for you. 'Nuff said.

Also, winds with respect to water clarity and castability. If you can't cast to a spot because the wind is blowing 20 into your face, or if the winds have made the water look like chocolate milk, it can get very frustrating. In cases like these, you can switch to marsh fishing. Getting back into a marsh can offer protection from the wind and if you time it right, turn an otherwise bad day into a banner day.

Beyond that, let us know what type of lures or bait you are used to fishing and we can help you more.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

go with somebody. dont go if the wind is above 10 mph imho. take some yellow gulp and dead shrimp. bring a cast net if you have one. take a light load with two or less rods. drift dont anchor til u catch something. gold spoons and mirrolure-type baits work pretty good yessir
CroakerChoker

Post by CroakerChoker »

How far are you from Matagorda. East Matagorda Bay is easily accessible by a short paddle from the road that goes to the beach. You can fish several marshes without having to do a lot of paddling. It's a huge bay, so gets choppy, so watch the wind forecasts

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
VcMathews

Post by VcMathews »

Thanks for the advice fellas I plan on making a trip one weekend onces the winds die down some I'm about an hour and 45 mintues from matagorta used to fish there with my uncle when I was younger so wouldn't mind trying it out. Again thanks for the advice
VcMathews

Post by VcMathews »

And if anyone ever has an opening and doesn't mind a tag along I'd love to come and try and learn some things not looking for spots or anything just haven't done much salt water fishing sense I was about 14 so I could use the help lol
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

A great addition for fishing the coastal winds is a wind sock. Academy has them for around $16.00 If the wind is pushing you all over the place, a drag chute/wind sock will slow your drift down measurably.

Also, If the wind is such that you shouldn't be out there....bringing some wading gear can let you still enjoy the day, and not waste the trip. Jeans and gym shoes were my starting "wading gear". Be certain to drag/shuffle your feet to lessen the chance of an encounter with a sting ray.

richg99
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Seems like everyone has covered a lot of the issues. What kind of fishing do you like? Bait, arties, fly? I'd recommend not bringing along too much gear over and above the necessary safety and comfort items and just enough other gear for the fishing. Milk crates can be nice to hold a variety of gear and to speed up the launch process. I now carry good wading boots just in case I need to walk out of some situation or in case I want to hop out and wade. Some good side cutters are nice to have in case you imbed a hook deep into your flesh. Vibrio infections are something to consider. Some folks carry topical antibiotic solutions to pour on scrapes and cuts. There is a specific one but I can't think of the name at the moment. Some high percentage DEET mosquito repellent is very nice. I use the 100% DEET stuff because a little goes a long way and because it comes in small rust proof packaging. A good small ice chest, soft ones are nice, are good to have for snacks and drinks and later to put fish in to avoid sharks and drag inducing stringers with fish. Fish gloves are good in the saltwater. A lot of the saltwater fish have sharp teeth, fins, and gill rakers that many of your freshwater fish lack, bowfin, gar, and catfish excepted.

I fish alone and with people. Fishing with someone can add a layer of safety, but you still have to think for yourself. Since you have experience in lakes and rivers you probably already have a handle on many of the risks. I keep the "what if" thought process going all day when I'm out on the water and when preparing for a trip. One big "what if" unique to the salt environment is having the water become too shallow, due to tidal influences, to navigate. There are many places that you simply cannot walk out of because of nearly bottomless mud and/or razor sharp oyster shell. I like to fish in those places (many are close to the Surfside/ San Bernard area) so I really try to know my water levels and tides and build in a margin of safety. People will park their vehicle on a dry hard sand flat and come back to it later in the day sitting in a foot of saltwater. I've seen it happen. I've been on the north shore of Christmas bay in my kayak on a beautiful clear relatively warm winter day and the 50' -100' of visibility fog suddenly rolls in ( actually, you can see it coming). You have to be able to figure your way out of those situations or not get in them and without always relying on electronics (those can go down, especially in salt environments). Wind, weather, the water change very quickly out there and there seldom is any good shelter nearby. You aren't going to outrun the weather in your kayak like you could potentially in a power boat. You have to be flexible and willing to abort trips at the launch or cut trips short. It happens all the time for me. I try to have a good handle on the weather before loading up for a trip. I look at forecasts, radar loops, wind and buoy data, tide level data before heading out. It sound tedious, but it's in reality pretty quick.
mmwaggie

Post by mmwaggie »

Don't skimp on you PFD. Buy one that is comfortable to wear if you don't already have one. I wear the NRS chinook I like that is has a lot of front pockets.

Check out Tobin's Troutsupport.com. The information you will find in his videos will kickstart your acquisition of knowledge concerning saltwater fishing. I went ahead and bought all four and it was one of the best investments i've made for targeting redfish and trout.

Try to go with people to learn spots to launch. Additionally, buy a hook-n-line map F103 is the west bay Wade, shore, & Kayak fishing map. This will show launches, topographical information, and SOOOO much more.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Very Good advice.. good job guys.

make sure your cell phone is charged up and find a good ap that will run as a GPS without needing cell phone coverage. That way if the fog rolls in, you can use your phone to see how to get back to your parking location. Also, one can get lost in a marsh system with no fog, go behind a cut or 2 and all that marsh grass looks alike, zig, when you should have zagged, and even on a clear day you could go out of your way for a while. Google earth and pre planning is helpful along with the maps and a GPS. I use an actual GPS because I find the phone screen is hard to see in super bright conditions. The battery life is much better on most hand held gps devices as well. I use a Garmin 78.

Some of your fresh water fishing knowledge will be useful as well. You can use a lot of your freshwater lures and tackle to catch trout, reds, and flounder. Fish are still attracted to structure with bait on it, but what one considered structure might drastically change.

Good luck and have fun. I think you'll love the salt.