Port Aransas Launch Help!

smtxom

Port Aransas Launch Help!

Post by smtxom »

Will be headed to Port Aransas the weekend of May 5-7th and was hoping someone could help with launch points from Wilson's Cut north. Do they allow kayaks to launch at Island Moorings Marina? Was thinking of checking out the area of Coyote Island and Pelone Island and down towards Wilson's Cut. Anyone fish those areas have some tips or pointers? Would appreciate any and all help. Thanks!
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Port Aransas Launch Help!

Post by Neumie »

Yes, you can launch your kayak from Island Moorings Marina for free. You use the boat ramp, however, you can not back down the ramp to the water's edge to unload your kayak; so you'll have to carry or cart it down the ramp.

I've done well with topwaters around the flats behind the houses early on topwater in the fall and early spring.
smtxom

Post by smtxom »

Thanks, Neumie. We'll be camping at IB Magee so we're trying to avoid straying too far from camp. I still remember all those posts about Wilson's Cut break ins so we won't be going there either.

Neumie wrote:Yes, you can launch your kayak from Island Moorings Marina for free. You use the boat ramp, however, you can not back down the ramp to the water's edge to unload your kayak; so you'll have to carry or cart it down the ramp.

I've done well with topwaters around the flats behind the houses early on topwater in the fall and early spring.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

smtxom wrote:Thanks, Neumie. We'll be camping at IB Magee so we're trying to avoid straying too far from camp. I still remember all those posts about Wilson's Cut break ins so we won't be going there either.
How long were those posts about break ins? I haven't read about a break in at the kayak launch in about a decade.
smtxom

Post by smtxom »

Neumie wrote:
smtxom wrote:Thanks, Neumie. We'll be camping at IB Magee so we're trying to avoid straying too far from camp. I still remember all those posts about Wilson's Cut break ins so we won't be going there either.
How long were those posts about break ins? I haven't read about a break in at the kayak launch in about a decade.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... t#p2190121

I know one post isn't evidence of rampant crime there but there are others if you search "wilsons cut". I remember about two years ago reading a string on here of at least two guys who got broken into one month. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Still a bit anecdotal and mostly concentrated at the boat ramp and not where kayakers launch. Been kayak fishing there for 15 years (a lot when I was A&M-CC from 03-08) and never met someone who had personally been broken into. I believe a few break ins happened several years ago and have become Shamrock Lore.

If crime is so rampant out there seems like Port A PD would have done something by now such as a sting, but I've never heard of anything.

Anyways, the IM Marina is a good launch and the flats around are pretty decent as well. Would be a far paddle south if you're wanting to fish the same waters as you would launching from Wilsons Cut.
jonnygat123

Post by jonnygat123 »

Launch at Wilson's cut 2. All kayak fisherman and duck hunters. Any one messes with your car there. They will get a shotgun shell or fillet knife in the back. We protect each others property and pick up the area when we leave. Wilsons cut 1 different story. Easy in and out for criminals.
LagunaFisher

Post by LagunaFisher »

I've been fishing shamrock for about 10 years, parking and launching in front of the gate. Got my vehicle broken into around 2009 there as well. I still launch there, just don't leave anything in your car or anything in view of thieves.

This time of year I like to head out the cut early in the morning and head south along the shoreline of CC bay. Fish early for trout and head up shallow later to look for redfish in croaker hole area.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I went to my first CCA meeting last night and someone showed me a picture with a gate in front of the entrance to the Wilson Cut 2 launch point (the one kayakers use).

The first time I went to Wilson's cut was because I wanted to launch at the marina in Port Aransas but they wanted $25 to use the ramp.

Did I miss something or are there other places to fish down there?
JMS

Post by JMS »

You could also take the ferry and launch at Lighthouse Lakes,Brown & Root, and other places between the Gerry and Aransas Pass. Have a couple different places in mind and adjust if the wind is cooperating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

ben_beyer wrote:I went to my first CCA meeting last night and someone showed me a picture with a gate in front of the entrance to the Wilson Cut 2 launch point (the one kayakers use).

The first time I went to Wilson's cut was because I wanted to launch at the marina in Port Aransas but they wanted $25 to use the ramp.

Did I miss something or are there other places to fish down there?
Yes, the launch site kayakers used on Wilson's Cut down the oil field road (where you enter by the power substation) was closed sometime after Harvey. I found out about its closure the first week of December. The end of Wilson's Cut where the boaters launch from is still an option, unless that has changed recently too., but there was never a gate there.

When did you try and launch from Island Moorings and they told you it would be $25? I haven't launched there since October 2016 and there wasn't an issue at the time.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

It was the end of April/beginning of May.

They didn't directly say I couldn't launch there but there was a sign saying $25 to use the ramp and maybe something about displaying a pass to not get towed.

I don't remember exactly but it sounded like I was going to have to pay $25 to launch there and not get towed and I didn't see anyone around to get a pass to use the ramp.
krfish

Post by krfish »

This is a great thread. Subscribed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Neumie wrote:Yes, you can launch your kayak from Island Moorings Marina for free. You use the boat ramp, however, you can not back down the ramp to the water's edge to unload your kayak; so you'll have to carry or cart it down the ramp.

So this wouldn't be allowed? https://youtu.be/A62EkbJdVsY?t=41
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

niswanger wrote:

So this wouldn't be allowed? https://youtu.be/A62EkbJdVsY?t=41
This thread started pre-Harvey and the situation has been different since my quoted comment. The past two years during their rebuild of the marina there hasn't been a chain to prevent people from backing down the ramp to the water. Last time I used it was in April, and there was no chain then.

However, the marina has re-opened since my last visit so they may have put something back up to prevent people backing trailers down the ramp. I am heading down in a couple weeks and will more than likely be using the ramp, so I'll follow up if you haven't already checked it out yourself.

Are you also seeking advice on the TKF Facebook page?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Josh, might be worth a call to discuss your launch in advance and report to us on what they say.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Last time I was there (2 months ago?) they had a vehicle parked at the top of the ramp with a sign saying to check in if you need to use the ramp. So maybe that was a preliminary to chaining it off?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:Josh, might be worth a call to discuss your launch in advance and report to us on what they say.
Not sure I have that initiative in me.
JW FunGuy wrote:Last time I was there (2 months ago?) they had a vehicle parked at the top of the ramp with a sign saying to check in if you need to use the ramp. So maybe that was a preliminary to chaining it off?
I hope we don't have to start asking for permission, their offices don't open until 9am.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

We still just parked at the top and carried our boats down the ramp, then moved our truck, did the same when we got back and no one busted us. BUT, they were still in the final rebuilds..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I forgot I was going to update this post after my fall trip at the beginning of this month.

The chain is back across the top of the boat ramp preventing vehicles from backing down. Kayakers can still launch their kayak for free.

I spoke to a lady in their newly built office before launching on Oct. 31st and she gave the "rules" for kayakers utilizing their boat ramp:

1: Members of Island Moorings and those who have paid for use of the boat ramp have priority use.
2: Do not block the top of the boat ramp where the chain is with your vehicle.
3: Do not block the boat ramp by the water's edge with your kayaks.
4: Park your vehicle in the far away parking lot.

So, when unloading your kayak in the morning pull up next to the ramp and off load your kayak and gear onto the grass embankment and not directly onto the boat ramp. Park your vehicle before you carry your kayak and gear down the ramp to minimize your time blocking the ramp. Generally this isn't an issue in the mornings because most kayakers are launching before the office opens at 9 am.

When coming off the water after fishing immediately remove your kayak from the boat ramp area to either the grass embankment or turnaround area that's not in front of the chained off boat ramp. After you've cleared the boat ramp of your kayak and gear then go fetch your vehicle, again don't block the top of the boat ramp.

The lady I spoke to said they've had instances in the past where paid members had to wait to launch their boats because a group of kayaks blocked the ramp for 10-15 minutes. Don't be those kayakers, keep your time on the ramp to the bare minimum because this is a phenomenal, FREE access point for kayakers.

Don't ruin it, because kayakers have no other way to access the backside of the north end of Mustang Island without Island Moorings' boat ramp.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Neumie wrote:I forgot I was going to update this post after my fall trip at the beginning of this month.

The chain is back across the top of the boat ramp preventing vehicles from backing down. Kayakers can still launch their kayak for free.

I spoke to a lady in their newly built office before launching on Oct. 31st and she gave the "rules" for kayakers utilizing their boat ramp:

1: Members of Island Moorings and those who have paid for use of the boat ramp have priority use.
2: Do not block the top of the boat ramp where the chain is with your vehicle.
3: Do not block the boat ramp by the water's edge with your kayaks.
4: Park your vehicle in the far away parking lot.

So, when unloading your kayak in the morning pull up next to the ramp and off load your kayak and gear onto the grass embankment and not directly onto the boat ramp. Park your vehicle before you carry your kayak and gear down the ramp to minimize your time blocking the ramp. Generally this isn't an issue in the mornings because most kayakers are launching before the office opens at 9 am.

When coming off the water after fishing immediately remove your kayak from the boat ramp area to either the grass embankment or turnaround area that's not in front of the chained off boat ramp. After you've cleared the boat ramp of your kayak and gear then go fetch your vehicle, again don't block the top of the boat ramp.

The lady I spoke to said they've had instances in the past where paid members had to wait to launch their boats because a group of kayaks blocked the ramp for 10-15 minutes. Don't be those kayakers, keep your time on the ramp to the bare minimum because this is a phenomenal, FREE access point for kayakers.

Don't ruin it, because kayakers have no other way to access the backside of the north end of Mustang Island without Island Moorings' boat ramp.
Thanks for the update. Did they mention how long the boat ramp will be closed? When it was open they were charging (if I remember correctly) $25 to launch for non-members. Membership was pricey too. I'm guessing when the ramp opens they will go back to their original launch rates?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

great details Josh
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

SWFinatic wrote:Thanks for the update. Did they mention how long the boat ramp will be closed? When it was open they were charging (if I remember correctly) $25 to launch for non-members. Membership was pricey too. I'm guessing when the ramp opens they will go back to their original launch rates?
The ramp and the marina have been open since around May 2019 according to their social media. I fished there towards the end of April and the ramp did not have a chain across the top nor were there any signs in place. When I fished there the first part of November the chain had been reinstalled across the top of the ramp and there were new signs saying "Private Property, No Trespassing", or to that extent. I do remember pre-Harvey seeing the $25 daily boat ramp fee and $$$$$ yearly membership fee, but those were not present in November.

The new "No Trespassing" signs spurred me to go to the office and ask about launching a kayak since I got there during their office hours. She said kayakers were free to use their boat ramp and asked we follow the rules I more or less posted above. As far as I know and what she seemed to imply during our conversation was kayakers were never required to pay the $25 single day use fee for the boat ramp even before Harvey. I used the boat ramp numerous times before Harvey and never had an employee tell me otherwise. I probably used the ramp 4 or 5 times during their 18 month-ish rebuild of the marina without anyone telling me I couldn't be there.

The only thing I did not ask for clarification is if they will remove the chain so kayakers can back their vehicle/trailer down the ramp. And if so, would that constitute a daily use fee? I don't know, so someone would have to call and get clarification. The minor inconvenience with asking them to remove the chain so you could back down the ramp is you'd have delay launching in the morning until after their office opens at 9 am.

So to recap. The ramp is open and free for kayakers to use. I don't know if they will lower the chain for kayakers to back down the ramp; fee or no fee. Make sure to be courteous.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Thank Neumie! That’s good to know. I only launched/fished there that one time and I do want to go back!