Port Aransas Launch Help!

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Port Aransas Launch Help!

Post by Ron Mc »

JW FunGuy wrote:Thank Neumie! That’s good to know. I only launched/fished there that one time and I do want to go back!
keep it in your pocket for a W to NW wind
SWFinatic

Re: Port Aransas Launch Help!

Post by SWFinatic »

Neumie wrote:
SWFinatic wrote:Thanks for the update. Did they mention how long the boat ramp will be closed? When it was open they were charging (if I remember correctly) $25 to launch for non-members. Membership was pricey too. I'm guessing when the ramp opens they will go back to their original launch rates?
The ramp and the marina have been open since around May 2019 according to their social media. I fished there towards the end of April and the ramp did not have a chain across the top nor were there any signs in place. When I fished there the first part of November the chain had been reinstalled across the top of the ramp and there were new signs saying "Private Property, No Trespassing", or to that extent. I do remember pre-Harvey seeing the $25 daily boat ramp fee and $$$$$ yearly membership fee, but those were not present in November.

The new "No Trespassing" signs spurred me to go to the office and ask about launching a kayak since I got there during their office hours. She said kayakers were free to use their boat ramp and asked we follow the rules I more or less posted above. As far as I know and what she seemed to imply during our conversation was kayakers were never required to pay the $25 single day use fee for the boat ramp even before Harvey. I used the boat ramp numerous times before Harvey and never had an employee tell me otherwise. I probably used the ramp 4 or 5 times during their 18 month-ish rebuild of the marina without anyone telling me I couldn't be there.

The only thing I did not ask for clarification is if they will remove the chain so kayakers can back their vehicle/trailer down the ramp. And if so, would that constitute a daily use fee? I don't know, so someone would have to call and get clarification. The minor inconvenience with asking them to remove the chain so you could back down the ramp is you'd have delay launching in the morning until after their office opens at 9 am.

So to recap. The ramp is open and free for kayakers to use. I don't know if they will lower the chain for kayakers to back down the ramp; fee or no fee. Make sure to be courteous.
Thanks!