TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...


Please visit our sponsor Slowride Guide Services
User avatar
By smtxom
#2234173
Will be headed to Port Aransas the weekend of May 5-7th and was hoping someone could help with launch points from Wilson's Cut north. Do they allow kayaks to launch at Island Moorings Marina? Was thinking of checking out the area of Coyote Island and Pelone Island and down towards Wilson's Cut. Anyone fish those areas have some tips or pointers? Would appreciate any and all help. Thanks!
User avatar
By Neumie
#2234221
Yes, you can launch your kayak from Island Moorings Marina for free. You use the boat ramp, however, you can not back down the ramp to the water's edge to unload your kayak; so you'll have to carry or cart it down the ramp.

I've done well with topwaters around the flats behind the houses early on topwater in the fall and early spring.
User avatar
By smtxom
#2234296
Thanks, Neumie. We'll be camping at IB Magee so we're trying to avoid straying too far from camp. I still remember all those posts about Wilson's Cut break ins so we won't be going there either.


Neumie wrote:Yes, you can launch your kayak from Island Moorings Marina for free. You use the boat ramp, however, you can not back down the ramp to the water's edge to unload your kayak; so you'll have to carry or cart it down the ramp.

I've done well with topwaters around the flats behind the houses early on topwater in the fall and early spring.
User avatar
By Neumie
#2234301
smtxom wrote:Thanks, Neumie. We'll be camping at IB Magee so we're trying to avoid straying too far from camp. I still remember all those posts about Wilson's Cut break ins so we won't be going there either.

How long were those posts about break ins? I haven't read about a break in at the kayak launch in about a decade.
User avatar
By smtxom
#2234537
Neumie wrote:
smtxom wrote:Thanks, Neumie. We'll be camping at IB Magee so we're trying to avoid straying too far from camp. I still remember all those posts about Wilson's Cut break ins so we won't be going there either.

How long were those posts about break ins? I haven't read about a break in at the kayak launch in about a decade.


viewtopic.php?f=1&t=234433&p=2190121&hilit=Wilson+Cut#p2190121

I know one post isn't evidence of rampant crime there but there are others if you search "wilsons cut". I remember about two years ago reading a string on here of at least two guys who got broken into one month. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
User avatar
By Neumie
#2234546
Still a bit anecdotal and mostly concentrated at the boat ramp and not where kayakers launch. Been kayak fishing there for 15 years (a lot when I was A&M-CC from 03-08) and never met someone who had personally been broken into. I believe a few break ins happened several years ago and have become Shamrock Lore.

If crime is so rampant out there seems like Port A PD would have done something by now such as a sting, but I've never heard of anything.

Anyways, the IM Marina is a good launch and the flats around are pretty decent as well. Would be a far paddle south if you're wanting to fish the same waters as you would launching from Wilsons Cut.
User avatar
By jonnygat123
#2236622
Launch at Wilson's cut 2. All kayak fisherman and duck hunters. Any one messes with your car there. They will get a shotgun shell or fillet knife in the back. We protect each others property and pick up the area when we leave. Wilsons cut 1 different story. Easy in and out for criminals.
User avatar
By LagunaFisher
#2236638
I've been fishing shamrock for about 10 years, parking and launching in front of the gate. Got my vehicle broken into around 2009 there as well. I still launch there, just don't leave anything in your car or anything in view of thieves.

This time of year I like to head out the cut early in the morning and head south along the shoreline of CC bay. Fish early for trout and head up shallow later to look for redfish in croaker hole area.
By ben_beyer
#2256495
I went to my first CCA meeting last night and someone showed me a picture with a gate in front of the entrance to the Wilson Cut 2 launch point (the one kayakers use).

The first time I went to Wilson's cut was because I wanted to launch at the marina in Port Aransas but they wanted $25 to use the ramp.

Did I miss something or are there other places to fish down there?
User avatar
By JMS
#2256523
You could also take the ferry and launch at Lighthouse Lakes,Brown & Root, and other places between the Gerry and Aransas Pass. Have a couple different places in mind and adjust if the wind is cooperating.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
By Neumie
#2256538
ben_beyer wrote:I went to my first CCA meeting last night and someone showed me a picture with a gate in front of the entrance to the Wilson Cut 2 launch point (the one kayakers use).

The first time I went to Wilson's cut was because I wanted to launch at the marina in Port Aransas but they wanted $25 to use the ramp.

Did I miss something or are there other places to fish down there?

Yes, the launch site kayakers used on Wilson's Cut down the oil field road (where you enter by the power substation) was closed sometime after Harvey. I found out about its closure the first week of December. The end of Wilson's Cut where the boaters launch from is still an option, unless that has changed recently too., but there was never a gate there.

When did you try and launch from Island Moorings and they told you it would be $25? I haven't launched there since October 2016 and there wasn't an issue at the time.
By ben_beyer
#2256554
It was the end of April/beginning of May.

They didn't directly say I couldn't launch there but there was a sign saying $25 to use the ramp and maybe something about displaying a pass to not get towed.

I don't remember exactly but it sounded like I was going to have to pay $25 to launch there and not get towed and I didn't see anyone around to get a pass to use the ramp.

Lady Bird is definitely not a state park. Really, […]

Spinney Mtn. Colo.

Very nice! Cliff

I have never seen any type of camper on the beach.[…]

Fly Rod Length

6' to 8' short-to-mid-length rods, mid-weight lin[…]