PACK Trip Report – Goose Island

Ken J
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

PACK Trip Report – Goose Island

Post by Ken J »

PACK invaded Goose Island this past weekend for a campout and fishing expedition. The PACK Armada totalled 7 familiar friends, and 3 family members. Being a PACK Outing, the weather played a factor.
Friday – All hand arrived early Friday morning. The wind was pumping at a steady 20 mph from the SE, with gust +++, only to build during the evening. Two of the younger guys did launched in the wind and gave it a try. Only one hardhead was caught. Both reported that paddling back to camp in the face of the wind was very difficult. They were both totally exhausted. That evening the wind really started to blow. The waves were crashing over the park bulkhead creating a fine mist that coated everyone’s car with a salt brine. Two of the guys moved over to camp in the trees to get away from the wind and waves. Because of the wind rattling my tent, and the water spray hitting my tent, I abandon my tent and spent the night in may car.

Saturday – We woke to totally different weather conditions. The wind was nil in the morning creating glass water conditions. We launched from the base of the GISP Pier and fished St Charles Bay, East pocket (Black Jack Point), and the area reefs. Everyone caught fish. Lots of small trout, but everyone was able to string enough legal fish for the night’s fish fry. As usual Bruce B had the biggest stringer of 1 keeper Red, and 4 trout. The evenings cookout consisted of fried fish, chicken tenders, fried onion rings, cole slaw, potato salad, olives, baked beans, and pumpkin pie. All had a good feast.

Sunday – the temperature dropped dramatically, the wind now blowing from the North, all hands were digging out warmer clothes. Two of the guys continued to fish, the rest of us bid farewell and headed for home. A good time was had by all.

http://www.packtx.org/Photos/tabid/58/A ... allery-385

Tight Lines
Ken J
Last edited by Ken J on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: PACK Trip Report – Goose Island

Post by Kayak Kid »

I miss the campouts at Goose Island. It was one of the more comfortable of our many primitive outings. The weather problems were a constant occurrence on many PACK outings, but, never a deterrent to great adventure, great fishing, great camaraderie, and, great memories.