Powderhorn Lake

FREAKY TIKI

Powderhorn Lake

Post by FREAKY TIKI »

I've never fished Powderhorn Lake. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Also kayak access locations would be great. Thank you.
Tyler's Outdoors

Re: Powderhorn Lake

Post by Tyler's Outdoors »

I just went to Powderhorn this past Saturday. I paid $5 to launch from Indianola Marina. The wind was blowing real hard from the Southeast, so I paddled around to the little cove on the Northeast side. I worked the grass lines and managed a 22" red on a gulp new penny/chartreuse shrimp.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

There can be some fish in there.. just depends on what time of year. Trout in the guts flowing in and out, and there is grass on the south shoreline as well as oyster in the back. Go have fun.
FREAKY TIKI

Post by FREAKY TIKI »

Thanks much for the feedback.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I haven't spent much time in the lake proper, so I can't speak with much authority on the lake itself, but I do have a close friend who has spent a lot of time back there over the last 2-3 years and he goes back there (as well as back into Boggy) starting in late spring, hunting for flounder. He, like me, is not much of a redfish hunter, but he has said things like, "all the redfish you want on the shorelines." He could be exaggerating a bit when he says things like that, but they are there.

But, I have for many years made trips to the mouth of Powderhorn. I have waded mostly outside the two drains on outgoing tides, but also have waded the inside a few times on incoming tides. Sometimes with great success, sometimes not so great, but rarely skunked. Like Tobin said, it really depends on the time of year.

Edit: Here is a Google Earth image from 2013 that really shows the underwater topography of the cuts that drain Powderhorn.
Attachments
Powderhorn.pdf
Add description
(82.29 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sight casting flounder potlicking Mt Stringer and Osochuck

Post by Big Kahuna »

As for the comment about the reds in the shoreline it's true.
This was taken from there. And my wife usually out fishes me when we go.

Mahalo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

Powderhorn is a great spot. I don't fish it much because POC is only ten minutes farther driving and even better imho.

If you're not into doing a lot of paddling, but still being able to hit a variety of different spots in the same area.. Launch from the marina and you can fish the channels, the oyster beds,(if the tide is high enough) grass flats in the summer, long shallow shorelines on the south side of the lake, and even a ton of marsh to explore.

Here's a pic from the marina. Here's a video of the place.(There aren't always gators there) https://youtu.be/yj8FgY3FfaA
Salaqua

Post by Salaqua »

Some other good things about Powderhorn: there are less people and boats; the marina has live bait and a pretty good kitchen for a post kayak lunch; redfish, flounder, trout, and black drum can be caught; if you do not want to pay for marina launch there are also a few other launch areas.

If you choose the marina launch, ask the cashier person if you can launch from the beach where people camp, it makes launching all that much easier if there is room.
FREAKY TIKI

Post by FREAKY TIKI »

Great info. Thanks to all.