24 April - ??

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

24 April - ??

Post by kickingback »

Looks like the winds will finally be dying off on Monday 24 April.
Time to dust the kayak off and get her wet.
She's missed the salty water.
Damn winds.
Thinking Christmas or East bays or Sabine...time will tell...patience with a side of excitement...
julioandadrie

Re: 24 April - ??

Post by julioandadrie »

Im heading out to west bay today and or hitting the lights in tiki island tonight

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
12pdtest

Post by 12pdtest »

Yep winds have been a been a female dog
crusher

Post by crusher »

10 days out...I wish it was a trustworthy forecast. But lets all agree in a week or two or three the winds will lay down a little more consistently for our benefit.
I've found a day to target a week or more ahead of time a few times, only to find the forecasts and reality getting a lot windier as the date arrives. It might just be me, though.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Yeah, if ya'll think the winds have been bad, forecasting has been even worse. I planned multiple trips with friends this spring only to have the weather shift 2 days out. I hope for all your sake the wind reduces and becomes fishable, but don't forget there are ways around it.
  • Go fish a marsh for flounder or reds is still a good option for high wind days.
  • Fish some new areas that offer protection even if they look ugly, this is a good op to explore a little in areas you wouldn't normally fish
  • Even when the winds are predicted to be high, there has been a window early until about 9 or 10.. pretty small window for a kayak though. And sometimes not.
  • Wade the grass flats.. park that yak on the grass and make sure its secured by anchor. and go wade the flats.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

TroutSupport.com wrote:Yeah, if ya'll think the winds have been bad, forecasting has been even worse. I planned multiple trips with friends this spring only to have the weather shift 2 days out. I hope for all your sake the wind reduces and becomes fishable, but don't forget there are ways around it.
  • Go fish a marsh for flounder or reds is still a good option for high wind days.
  • Fish some new areas that offer protection even if they look ugly, this is a good op to explore a little in areas you wouldn't normally fish
  • Even when the winds are predicted to be high, there has been a window early until about 9 or 10.. pretty small window for a kayak though. And sometimes not.
  • Wade the grass flats.. park that yak on the grass and make sure its secured by anchor. and go wade the flats.
I heard that on the forecasts :lol: :wink:
I am as bad as anyone about not wanting to take a kayak out into high winds (just so rarely worth the effort and can be dangerous), but would second the suggestion to just wade. Only I leave the yak at home and just walk in wade. It's a good way to get some salt in your hair, maybe catch a fish or three and not wear yourself out paddling against a 20 mph wind.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Totally agree and dead on.
Last edited by TroutSupport.com on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I have to laugh at anyone that takes a yak out without looking at the wind forecast for the entire day. It does not pay to be unsafe and stupid.
Weather looks great for Monday down in San Luis area. Gonna launch either end of Amigo Lane or San Luis County Park depending on which marsh area I want to fish last with a three tide and low wind day!!!
Looks good for a 3-4 A.M. launch into ebb tides. Then a mid morning flood tide with a late afternoon ebb tide to finish the day off near dusk. Should be productive if I plan my route right. Using only artificial. Will try a few new flies in the marsh around grass lines during low tide.
Can you smell it? Ahhhhh, the smell of menhaden on a good strong ebb tide coming out of the grass near shell! So sweet!

Maybe go this route to catch the incoming and outgoing tides in same area but different times of day...
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

One of the problems within the last several years is that the forecasting models for the bays don't accurately portray the REAL wind. Their models for the bay include the same roughness as land.. ie, it includes trees and building, structures, etc. I have been looking at the neat offshore forecast for a better picture of what the wind is going to do. If its forecast for 15 in the bay but just the other side of the beach in the gulf its forecasted for 25.. you can bet it's going to be blowing 25.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Great observation Tobin. That is what I always factor in. The buoy at San Luis Pass on the bay side from Wunderground weather site is what I use to determine my area down there. Since that site has been about 80% correct on winds since I have been using it I usually do pretty good at picking a good spot.
Since the buoy is on the bay side I get the winds where they are the strongest and factor the distance from the pass to where I am to decide if the winds will be a factor.
Once I know the winds will be favorable in an area I look at the Tides4Fishing site and check tides to gauge the best areas where the wind, tides and water movement are the most advantageous to my outing I am planning.
I always select the buoys on the wind blown side of the area where I am fishing to get the best idea of how the winds will act. For instance, if I am planning on fishing SWP and the winds are coming from the south I look for a southern buoy from where I fish and that is usually the south jetty buoy. If the winds are coming from the north I use a buoy or station north of SWP like TCD station. I can then gauge the wind where I will be fishing factoring in the trees, land and other wind obstructions.
It's fairly simple to plan a trip as long as you look at all factors of the area you will be fishing.
As for my planned trip, you can see that the land will even deter the winds a bit coming from the south so I can fish that entire area without fear of being blown all over the place if the winds do pick up more than forecasted! LOL
The Roach

Post by The Roach »

Kickingback - which app are you using to plot those waypoints? Like the looks of that functionality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

That is a website...http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
You can register and save your routes to use later or edit. Works great after a trip to see where and how far you went. Just have to remember all the little turns and stops but a great tool!
The Roach

Post by The Roach »

Sweet! Thanks for sharing - I'm going to shamelessly "pot-lick" that idea sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

By the current Galveston forecast, if you do not go on Monday the you will have winds around 20mph the rest of the week!!
Attachments
0421170950_resized[872].jpg
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yep. My thoughts exactly!

Glad you liek the app. I like it too. Cool to keep track of your outings. I save all my routes on line under my account but screen shot and save a pic for my fishing logs.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

TroutSupport.com wrote:One of the problems within the last several years is that the forecasting models for the bays don't accurately portray the REAL wind. Their models for the bay include the same roughness as land.. ie, it includes trees and building, structures, etc. I have been looking at the neat offshore forecast for a better picture of what the wind is going to do. If its forecast for 15 in the bay but just the other side of the beach in the gulf its forecasted for 25.. you can bet it's going to be blowing 25.
:lol: In the "olden days" we'd just add 10 mph to the forecast we got in the newspaper. As the internet came into our lives (thank God) we had more stations to choose from. Like you, I try to find a near-shore station. Another thing I do is check NOAA's current station readings. There is one south of Freeport that is almost a dead-on indicator of the winds in the bays - maybe with the bays being 2-4 mph lighter.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Ready for tomorrow morning. Made a few seaducers to go with my "bleeder". Hook sizes from 2/0 to 4 to match the bait size I find.
Just hate the fact the damn winds changed direction this weekend and brought in the cooler air which will make the water a bit uncertain I am afraid. Gonna seek out the deep areas early and shallow when it warms later.
Good luck to all who go out tomorrow!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Cold Pass was hot this morning!
Launched at the public ramp in Christmas Bay and made my way to Churchill Bayou, John Wayne Cut, and Cold Pass this morning. Found reds tailing near JW's cut and caught a rat red and another lashed at and missed my seaducer fly.
Cold Pass was smoking hot for trout. Birds were working the shrimp from above and the trout below. I stayed on the birds for an hour and a half catching some nice trout. Largest was a solid 19". caught and released 6 total and had numerous hits and misses using a popping cork and gulp shrimp. Worked Churchill but couldn't get any big ones to bite.
The bait was everywhere along the north shore of Galveston island and especially down JW's cut. Finger mullet and 3"-4" shrimp jumping everywhere when I shined a light on them. Actually got a couple of shrimp to use as bait that jumped in the yak. Bait stealers stole my bait off the hook. LOL
Weather was weird. Very light winds and a good tide. Cold at 3 am launch (57 degrees) with winds from the NE then at 9 am the winds changed coming from the SE and the temp was at 67 by then! Was a nice day all around!
I made video of the bait jumping at dawn and the birds early morning as well as a few pics of the fish. will try to post later.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

pictures and a short vid...

Video link==== https://youtu.be/JYfGGoe63DA

TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

I only got to spend about an hour on the water, but it was good.

Caught this guy trolling a paddletail between spots.
I was going to keep any slot reds under 25" for dinner. This guys awesome spots saved his life. #CPR

These guys were great last night for dinner.

Caught everything on www.slayerinc.com lures.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

kickingback wrote: Cold Pass was hot this morning!....The bait was everywhere along the north shore of Galveston island and especially down JW's cut.
So, with all the places you described as having fished, I am wondering if "the north shore of Galveston island" is what you meant. Follett's Island is the barrier island that separates Christmas and Cold Pass from the Gulf of Mexico....just an FYI

Great report and nice pics!!
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Nice haul fellas! Thanks for the write-ups and pics!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yaklash wrote:
kickingback wrote: Cold Pass was hot this morning!....The bait was everywhere along the north shore of Galveston island and especially down JW's cut.
So, with all the places you described as having fished, I am wondering if "the north shore of Galveston island" is what you meant. Follett's Island is the barrier island that separates Christmas and Cold Pass from the Gulf of Mexico....just an FYI

Great report and nice pics!!
Sorry, I meant the entire south coast island north shore, be it Galveston Island or Follet's Island, I always call the entire island system down to Brazosport "Galveston Island".
All the areas in yellow had bait and fish. Easily the North winds pushed the bait into the north shores down there in that area. The area in cold pass was me "chasing the birds".
I left at noon after the winds changed direction so don't know how the bite changed if at all. Wont be able to get out again for another couple of weeks it looks like again with the upcoming weather. Gotta love Mother Nature!